IGNORED

HighScore.com Contest: $50 AtariAge gift certs to winners

Serious

Ok, I just went through and re-categorized some Atari 2600 games where the difficulty switches do not affect game play.

These are the games that were changed:

Activision Decathlon
Asterix
Atari Video Cube
Atlantis
Atlantis II
Battlezone
Beany Bopper
Berzerk
Bump n Jump
Burgertime
Centipede
Cosmic Commute
Cosmic Creeps
Crackpots
Fire Fly
Gorf

In cases where there was a trophy in the previous category that was associated with a score lower than the trophy in the other category, the trophy associated with the lower score was cracked. I set the date on this event so that it would not affect the current contest.

If you had scores in both categories, only the higher of the two scores you had should remain.

If you notice anything with your trophies that seems off, let me know, and I will check to see if I made an error (and I will correct it).

Nice idea. I'll make it happen.

There will be a delay in when the trophies are awarded, though, as I'll need a little time to create them and award them manually.

The special trophies for the contest winners have now been awarded.

This took me longer to do than I anticipated, as trophies are associated with games and scores, and these were an exception. I eventually figured out a way to make it work.

You will see them in your trophy cases now.

There is now a "King" trophy available on the site. This trophy represents that the holder is the current points leader. cncfreak has been awarded the first of these trophies.

This trophy can crack, like any other, but it will not crack immediately. I will be manually awarding/cracking this trophy on a monthly basis. (I will eventually automate it.)

Also, I have added an experimental feature. You can now "pin" your score photos onto Pinterest. These will link back to your score page on High Score.

I just fixed the ranking system for games where the lowest score is the best (i.e. I Want My Mommy, Golf, etc). This wasn't properly ranking these types of scores, but it should be working now.

I had to crack some trophies for I Want My Mommy as part of the cleanup on this. (The dates of the trophies being cracked on this were set so that they should not impact the contest currently in progress.)

Do you think it would be a good idea to have a link to the 'learn' page in the sidebar so that you can click on it directly instead of having to go to the site homepage before being able to get to it?

Good idea. I'll add it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I thought I would mention this here, since there are still some people following this topic.

High Score has grown to a point now where voting on many scores is completing very rapidly (within a few hours, in many cases).

The minimum number of votes needed for voting to complete will be increasing from 10 to 20 in a few days. The required percentage of 'Yes' votes, 70%, will remain the same.

As the site grows, the minimum number of votes required will continue to increase, though that will be done gradually. Ideally, this will be done at a rate so that voting on many scores will complete in 24-48 hours.

My plan is that, eventually, 100 votes will be required for a score to pass (which will mean the submission was reviewed by a large number of people who reviewed it from multiple perspectives).

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

I'd say emulated just because the GameCube controller is so different and has potential to somehow effect gameplay. If it were through the Super Game Boy on the SNES I'd say original because the SNES controller offers more or less the same button layout and would be almost exactly the same at playing it on the GBA.

That's just my opinion, though. I could see arguments for considering both emulation or considering both to be comparable to playing on the original hardware.

Anyone else have an opinion on it? My opinion would be original hardware since I thought it used actual Gameboy hardware in the player and as far as the the controller, I would think it would be like using an after marker controller on a NES or SNES. I would like to get a final answer on this so I can start playing some GB / GBC / GBA games and actually record some high score videos. I'll go with what the majority feels is appropriate.

• 1 month later...

There's been some questionable scores recently.
For Cosmic Bugs it's not possible to get more than 100% fill without using this glitch.
Watch this video

And 2 scores for Devil's Crush that somehow passed though the voting.
One person even posted in the comments that he used a password that starts you out with 900
thousand points and infinite lives.

http://highscore.com/scores/TurboGrafx16PCEngine/DevilsCrush/4899

Thoughts??

• Like 1

For Cosmic Bugs it's not possible to get more than 100% fill without using this glitch.

Watch this video

And 2 scores for Devil's Crush that somehow passed though the voting.

One person even posted in the comments that he used a password that starts you out with 900

thousand points and infinite lives.

http://highscore.com/scores/TurboGrafx16PCEngine/DevilsCrush/4899

Thoughts??

To continue with the original idea (players deciding what's valid), I'd say a score should be rejected if, after passing the original 70%, many players voted in a 'reject' or purge score option.

Maybe if the rejection reaches 10 times more all the valid votes, the original score would have to pass once again (and for the last time) the 70% mark.

It would be good if the player who posted the score could add additional evidence...

Just some thoughts. :)

I need to think more about it.

• Like 1

I also saw some big scores, I'm not sure it's possible to achieve without stopping to beat over and over the same level or enemy.

I remember a 99999... for Super Mario Brothers 3.

I've finished that game many times passing through all levels and I don't remember it's possible to get that score without camping and point farming.

Ok, my memory isn't that good, I should verify it. But supposing I'm right, it's good to have a way to disqualify the score. Especially these ultimate scores which couldn't be beated and would stay on top forever.

This is something I've been giving some thought to, as well:

What to do with scores where some type of rule violation or cheating is found after the score is accepted through voting. I don't have any ideas on it yet that feel like an ideal solution.

I don't view it as my role to remove these on my own, but the community should probably have a means to correct issues like this.

What do you all think of allowing a user to change their vote? Do you think this would be a good solution? Or would it be too likely to be abused?

Some changes I already plan to introduce:

1. The rules that are displayed to the submitter at the time of submission will also be displayed to voters on the voting page. I'm thinking that some of the voters in this situation may not have been aware of the rules prohibiting cheat codes.

2. User Legit ratings below a certain amount will be highlighted in another color on the voting page. (Maybe orange if below 80, red if below 70).

• Like 1

I still like Lid's idea of a recall or repeal vote being implemented, at least in situations in which serious doubt has been cast upon an accepted score. The problem with simply changing your vote is that people tend to forget about their votes once made, and some people are active on the site only intermittently.

The 10 more votes for reject idea could include former voters when the score was first submitted.

If you don't plan to improve number of votes too much (currently it is 21, I guess), it's very possible to make it 3 times more than 'yes' votes before putting the score again for votes.

This second and last time the score is required to reach 70% is a kind of the change vote option but more conservative and secure.

If you don't plan to improve number of votes too much (currently it is 21, I guess)

My plan has been to keep increasing the minimum number of votes needed as the site grows. I would like for the minimum number of votes to be 100, as this will mean more eyes looking at each score and more opportunities for voters to spot issues and leave comments while there are still plenty of people left to vote.

What to do with scores where some type of rule violation or cheating is found after the score is accepted through voting. I don't have any ideas on it yet that feel like an ideal solution.

I don't view it as my role to remove these on my own, but the community should probably have a means to correct issues like this.

What if it were your role to be a "gatekeeper'' for the repeal vote? In other words, someone would have to contact you about a particular score and state the reason why it is believed that the score should be rejected. If sufficient reason is given, then you can institute the repeal vote along the lines that Lid describes?

Ouch.

I just erased cookies I used to log in to my account in Highscore.com.

Those cookies had my password and I hadn't to type it everytime, so I also forgot my password. :dunce:

What a bad time to show my stupidity. :dunce: :dunce: :lol:

Been there. Done that :P

I keep a folder file next to my computer. In that file I have all my passwords written down for when they're needed ;)

• Like 1

Watch this video

Speaking of Cosmic Bugs, what's with the 2 million insignificant variations for which somebody posted scores? I find this to be a nuisance, as it clutters up the site with boring, needless repetition. Can a limit be placed on these little variations?