IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

11 minutes ago, InfiniteTape said:

$1780...I know Geneves are rare but jeez...

Yeah, that is a bit much for one. As to rarity, there were somewhat more than 2,000 of them sold. IIRC, at the time of the MDOS buyout, Lou Philips noted that there were about 2,200 machines in the wild. Myarc may have sold some additional machines after that point, but any changes to the totals noted here are probably marginal at best.

What's really weird is that this sold for not much less than a Dimension 4 did a couple of years ago ($2,400), and there are exactly two of those known to be in the wild, one of which is just a set of the necessary circuit cards. There is a third unit in a computer museum, but that's it. It is not as egregious as the current prices for 99/8 consoles, as those tend to go for about double the price realized in this Geneve auction.

46 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Wow! Looks like a whole computer lab (except someone else got the monitors.) 

Yeah, when I looked at those pictures, my first thought was that it came from one of the TI Learning Centers or from a classroom. The random stickers that are still on some of the items reinforced that thought. I'm just glad they weren't put into a landfill and survived to find new life within the community.

It looks like this guy now has a PEB collection to rival @Schmitzi too.  :)  :)  :)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, InfiniteTape said:

$1780...I know Geneves are rare but jeez...

I'm wondering how thoroughly the seller tested the unit.  The current OS doesn't fit on a SS/SD floppy, which I believe is the capacity of what looks like a Shugart or MPI drive in the bay.  I suppose a very old version of OS could have been used, though there are no pictures to show the OS actually started.   As for the price, even with only around 3,000 manufactured cards, that's ridiculous IMHO.

Unfortunately, the seller has a seriously inflated value of its worth now--and they are unlikely to sell it at all for that price. An untested 99/4 is generally not worth more than $150 or so, and a functional one without any of the accessories/manuals would be no more than about $250 or so. I wish them luck. . .because they'll need it to find a buyer. The bidding on the closed auction doesn't look quite right either. Something fishy there. Either someone was messing with the seller or they had some shill bidders. Either answer is possible based on the bids.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrhodes said:

Never seen this type of joystick for the TI99 before.

But that price tag is going to hurt.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403735184893

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.c3b72609d19483c133aaa07deaa1e203.jpg

I have a set without the box.

That price is nuts, even with the box.  I cannot imagine collectors care about this slice of history.  These joysticks were made by the Amiga company as a little bit of subterfuge and revenue while the computer was in development, and are not that good, IMHO.

35 minutes ago, Airshack said:

That auction also has the original version of the RF Interface, which is a bit HTF. It also has a 99/4 overlay, another HTF item.

• Like 1