IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

21 hours ago, Vorticon said:

There is! It's an arduino based solution that works perfectly. You can purchase one here: https://www.arcadeshopper.com/wp/store/#!/HEX-TI-r-HEXBUS-disk-drive-emulator-assembled-and-tested/p/219106097/category=27454942

Thanks. I guess the catch now is finding another batch of working CC-40s for some of us to buy! ;-)

• Thanks 1

Ooh, I'll watch the store.  I have a modem interface, but am looking out for other items to ensure HEXTIr emulation compatibility.

I'm glad to see someone grabbed the 18K unit.  I was interested, but $325.00 is a bit pricey for my blood.

Jim

• Like 2

I picked up a non-working speech synthesizer off the 'Bay the other day for a relatively cheap price.

Since it was sold as "non-working", I wanted to use if for its clam shell for my TIPI/32K. 

Of course, I had to try it out.   When I entered CALL SAY(... any XBASIC listed word...)  it would respond with "UhOh". 

I looked under the front over and there was a honest to goodness "card slot".

Long story short, it is an early edition synthesizer.  It works fine with TEII and Parsec, but lacks the speech data ROM.

This was an unexpected great find for me.  Needless to say, I won't be hacking it up!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dgrissom said:

I picked up a non-working speech synthesizer off the 'Bay the other day for a relatively cheap price.

Since it was sold as "non-working", I wanted to use if for its clam shell for my TIPI/32K. 

Of course, I had to try it out.   When I entered CALL SAY(... any XBASIC listed word...)  it would respond with "UhOh". 

I looked under the front over and there was a honest to goodness "card slot".

Long story short, it is an early edition synthesizer.  It works fine with TEII and Parsec, but lacks the speech data ROM.

This was an unexpected great find for me.  Needless to say, I won't be hacking it up!

try call say with UPPERCASE LIKE IT SAYS IN THE MANUAL   call say("hello") gets you UHOHUHOH etc while call say("HELLO") gets you "hello"

also nice find!

36 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

try call say with UPPERCASE LIKE IT SAYS IN THE MANUAL   call say("hello") gets you UHOHUHOH etc while call say("HELLO") gets you "hello"

also nice find!

TI EXTENDED BASIC's CALL SAY("HELLO") gives 5 uhoh's. 

Simple TEII 10 OPEN #1:"SPEECH",OUTPUT   20 PRINT #1:"HELLO THERE" works fine.

This is what it looks and sounds like  🙂

Outside.jpg

Slot.jpg

Edited by dgrissom
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, HOME AUTOMATION said:

The revised version of XB, spells unknown words. So, maybe the issue is with the XB, you're using.:ponder:

I tried several version for fun...

• TI Extended BASIC (version 110)   =  UhOh
  • Super Extended BASIC (version 120) =  UhOh
  • RXB 2023 (version 2023)   = UhOh
  • TI Extended BASIC (version 100) = UhOh

My regular synthesizer spells out an unknown word. This one only seems to know "UhOh's". 

Not an expert on this:  I'm guessing it has some built in storage to handle the allophone data and maybe the "UhOh's".  I'm pretty sure it lacked to 300 word vocabulary of later synthesizers and required little cartridges that were never manufactured by TI.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, brain said:

Ooh, I'll watch the store.  I have a modem interface, but am looking out for other items to ensure HEXTIr emulation compatibility.

I'm glad to see someone grabbed the 18K unit.  I was interested, but $325.00 is a bit pricey for my blood.

Jim

I grabbed it!   I encountered some cash and picked up a few things this year. It'll be nice to hold one of these.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dgrissom said:

TI EXTENDED BASIC's CALL SAY("HELLO") gives 5 uhoh's. 

Simple TEII 10 OPEN #1:"SPEECH",OUTPUT   20 PRINT #1:"HELLO THERE" works fine.

This is what it looks and sounds like  🙂

Sounds to me like you picked up a non-working speech synthesizer off the 'Bay the other day for a relatively cheap price.:D

...Maybe something is interfering with the look-up table.:dunce:

:)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

Oh, and mdude put a tested/working Hexbus Printer 80 up for bidding (not buy it now): https://www.ebay.com/itm/225515335671

Too rich for my blood, and anyway, I don't really have any use for it, if I'm being honest.  But a tempting opportunity for some.

image.png.9c36cd43bd3c53e01758121301b8b4a2.png

Man, I love these tiny portable peripherals.  I have an old HP portable inkjet and, except for the lack of available ink cartridges, I love it.

More related, has anyone produced a Hexbus interface for PC?

• Like 1

The Printer 80 has three components (and I need to borrow one to dump the CPU ROM - I’m out of bidding on this one - too many medical expenses.)

1. Brother EP-20 thermal print head engine 
  2. TMS7000 with 2K or 4K DSR ROM
  3. Hexbus interface circuitry

I’m supposing someone can even use a Brother EP-22 with serial port and a Hexbus serial interface to do the exact same thing as a Printer 80. 🙂

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 11:20 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Are these like the old Okidata printers, using thermal print head and transfer ribbon on regular paper?

They use a single-use transfer ribbon on regular paper, but they will work without the ribbon on thermal paper rolls as well (verified from page 2 of the manual).

• Like 2