IGNORED

TI Related -- Ebay / Heads Up Notice

Omega-TI

There was no way I could afford a printer back in the 80's and all I had was the console and a tape recorder :) However, I got the Panasonic KXP 1123 dot-matrix printer new in 1990 initially to use with my PC, but then moved up to an ink-jet printer a couple of years later and it has been connected to my TI ever since. Works like a charm and I still use it pretty regularly for program listings and documentation. That said, it would be nice to have a TI branded printer, and for some reason shipping is only $22 for me which is very reasonable. And it looks like it is essentially a re-branded Epson MX-80 printer for which you can still find ribbons. NOOOO! MUST RESIST...

Edited by Vorticon

That said, it would be nice to have a TI branded printer, and for some reason shipping is only $22 for me which is very reasonable. And it looks like it is essentially a re-branded Epson MX-80 printer for which you can still find ribbons. NOOOO! MUST RESIST...

What the heck, you only live once! I say go for it!

That's exactly what it is. An MX80. They're brilliant printers. If that was a UK auction I'd probably be all over it ;)

No argument there! That printer is built like tanks and will print all day long, not stop, if you can stand the noise. Of course if you did print all day it will not break the bank either. Can you imagine how much it would cost you to print for a solid 8 hours with an inkjet printer?

article-0-18707151000005DC-922_634x421.j

I've owned several and while they are tanks they have a really small print buffer. Press enter and wait, and wait, and wait... That's okay for TI-Writer documents, but not so great when you're generating a souce code listings.

You really need a print buffer the best use out of them.

Ernie

You really need a print buffer the best use out of them.

For the time/era on the TI it seemed okay, then of course we did not know of anything else (yet). The Triple Tech card was handy for that very reason, although it was only 64K, it did have a 'copy feature' which came in very handy for multiple copies. It was about the closest a guy could get to 'multi-tasking' on the TI. :) I could be printing a job off and be on the BBS at the same time. We laugh at that concept NOW, but back in the day...

I used to have a wire-wrapped ram disk that had a weird DSR in it. No battery backup but it did have a dc power jack.

You had to partition the drive through TI basic with a CALL PART () command. Then you assigned it a drive number with a CALL EMDK or something similar.

Anyway, the cool thing was it came with a built in print spooler. If I remember correctly you gave a device name of spool or spooler or something like that and boom! TI writer came back alive in just a few seconds and the card trickled the data out to the printer on your behalf.

Brilliant.

Does anyone recognise the DSR type from my (hazy) recollections?

I used to have a wire-wrapped ram disk that had a weird DSR in it. No battery backup but it did have a dc power jack.

You had to partition the drive through TI basic with a CALL PART () command. Then you assigned it a drive number with a CALL EMDK or something similar.

Anyway, the cool thing was it came with a built in print spooler. If I remember correctly you gave a device name of spool or spooler or something like that and boom! TI writer came back alive in just a few seconds and the card trickled the data out to the printer on your behalf.

Brilliant.

Does anyone recognise the DSR type from my (hazy) recollections?

That's how the Myarc Ramdisk DSR behaves, and it has the DC power jack. Another clue would be if the memory was Drams, which the Myarc used instead of Srams. The Foundation card was of a similar structure, and could use the Myarc DSR. I have a few of each... somewhere in the closet. :)

Also, the Myarc card is generally 512k, while the Foundation card is 128k.

Gazoo

Just seemed kind of strange someone would be pushing a printer so hard. Unless you're a hardcore collector, probably one of the least desirable peripherals for any system. Nice it's made specifically for the TI, but wait a second... why doesn't it say '4A'? Is it only compatible with the chicklet model? :lol:

/joke

-edit-

Looks like it went for $62 more than the average Star, Epson or Panasonic printer of this vintage though! :rolling:

Just seemed kind of strange someone would be pushing a printer so hard. Unless you're a hardcore collector, probably one of the least desirable peripherals for any system.

Personally I consider a printer to be an essential part of any computer system regardless of age. Being able to print documentation for software, making hard copies of disk directories, and of course preserving software by printing the source listings are all extremely valuable functions. And even if you use emulation exclusively, you still will likely use your modern PC printer to do many of the same functions ;-) Just imagine not having a printer hooked up to your PC: I bet you will very quickly sorely miss the printer functions!

• Like 4

Looks like it went for $62 more than the average Star, Epson or Panasonic printer of this vintage though! :rolling:

I'm pondering getting an old Epson for my TI. I *think* I can shoehorn in a MX,RX,FX 80 sized printer. I like the ribbons they use as they are cheap and long-lived, but I don't want a "tractor-feed only" model. I'll have to do some investigating on similar size Epsons that will also take single sheets.

Yup. You will find Commodore 64 and Amiga "emulation sets" like this all the time.

Yes, but that is the price of convenience. After all, that is what Linux distributions are since one could masochistically download and create their own distribution free of charge one file at a time....

This guy is not so much selling the emulator itself, but rather the convenience package, so I assume it's OK, but then I'm no legal expert here...

This is just sad. There is a guy on eBay who is ripping apart perfectly good TI systems to sell the parts for more than what the entire console is worth. This person wants $79.99 plus shipping for just a USED TI power supply. Thanks dude, but I'd rather buy a full console for less, from someone else.

gallery_35324_1027_40245.jpg

I've just added another seller to my NOT to buy from list.

$_57.JPG

Yes, but that is the price of convenience. After all, that is what Linux distributions are since one could masochistically download and create their own distribution free of charge one file at a time....

This guy is not so much selling the emulator itself, but rather the convenience package, so I assume it's OK, but then I'm no legal expert here...

Technically, and I know this technicality has a tendency to draw camps and flare tempers, including any software which has not been released into the public domain by its original copyright holders and still falls under copyright is illegal. Legitimacy, ethics, and morals are not arguments to entertain without heavy fire gear.

Fortunately, a lot of authors from way back have been willing and able to release software. There is a guy in the Amiga world who has been contacting old companies and authors to release their software with pretty good results. Given a collection of PD or freeware, I, too, am perfectly fine with with the convenience fee.

Really no big deal.

A) The world needs more optimists and at $79.99 he is certainly that, B) There is a snowball's chance in Hell that he is going to find a buyer, and C) figuratively speaking, TI-99/4A consoles are a dime a dozen. Heck, I've got one that I would give to someone if they were willing to make a trip to my house.

Ernie

Edited by airernie

Here's a double bonus auction for someone: a cartridge expander with a CorComp load interrupt switch.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=4&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&mpre=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F301085688709

The price is a bit high, but not excessive, and the load interrupt switches don't show up all that often.