IGNORED

CollectorVision is proud to introduce 4 new game

coleco_master

Yeah, it doesn't look good unless, of course, Guy gave his permission to this other programmer to fix bugs and make enhancements to the game as well as re-release it as a new game. I could be wrong and I hope I am, but my personal opinion... :ahoy:

Another "solution" would be:

Release the game (considering everything is printed, assembled) and give all profits made out of it to Guy Foster

Man! What an akward situation! :|

Keep in mind that I only played in Virtual Coleco so far, which is nowhere near a great CV emulator...

Guy Foster: 4 ships (one in use, and 3 in the "bank"). New: 3 ships (you only have as many lives as you see in the "bank", so if it shows one at the top of the screen, you better not hit anything).

Guy Foster: ships move vertically the same speed as the "walls" (fast). New: ships move slower than the walls. New: the walls aren't solid.

Guy Foster: fast bullets. New: slow bullets. Also, the bullets are fired when the fire button is released (show up when pressed), and bullets disappear if fire button is pressed again. Guy Foster: you need to wait for the current bullet to disappear or hit something before firing again.

Guy Foster: when hit, your ship turns red for a decent fraction of a second, so you know you've been hit. New: no visual indication. I also seemed to lose my last life without me knowing it... although maybe that's an emulator bug???

The sprites and sounds seem the same in both.

Most of these you can see in the video, and compare to the downloadable Guy Foster version (http://newcoleco.dev-fr.org/p3983/2008-06-22-coleco-cv-minigames.html).

ColecoVision.dk posted already on August 6th about this new, reprogrammed game: http://www.colecovision.dk/cv-news.htm

It seems the development began in October 2011 under the name Space Defend, which is particularly peculiar if the other game that visually is identical was released years before. Perhaps though it is completely reprogrammed, just graphics reuse?

http://retrozone.hyv..._SPACE_DEFEND/#

Edited by carlsson

i'm going to be sarcastic here...

Where is the problem?.. When 'somebody' port games to coleco by more or less just hacking the original code made by someone else it does not cause problem and here we have exactly the same situation. except it is port from coleco to coleco... :D

being more serious, you should be a little more vigilant and selective on what you publish... otherwise we are going to have a 2014 homebrew video game crash! ;)

• Like 2

The game looks similar, in fact I thought it was a re-release with enhancements. I suggest that the original programmer could give a look to code and enhance it with more levels/enemies/bosses, just a suggestion.

Anyway, the important thing is that I've ordered all the other three games :D plus Burn Rubber (I thought I had it!) and Buster Bros. :)

being more serious, you should be a little more vigilant and selective on what you publish... otherwise we are going to have a 2014 homebrew video game crash! ;)

I should start publishing games for current generation consoles then. :P

Seriously, I was not aware of this Earth Defense until recently when Toby talked about a new game, I'm too busy right now with the Coleco Book to take care of CollectorVision

I was not part of beta testing or any development for these latest releases

I also think Toby was simply not aware of Space Hunter either...

Make sense, otherwise what's the point to release a game that has already been released back awhile

Anyway, lesson learned for both Toby and I... I guess....

I had the same thought. There could be 4+ of them, then. Then we could have a high score tournament. ;)

Yup, all 4 of them can fit on a single 32KB ROM and Collector Vision can now sell them and not lose any money on those wonderful boxes, sticker(use hairdryer to peal them back to access the PCB), and manual with a small sheet there's more games on this cart than it is posted on the back of the box ^_^. I hope my brain goes somewhat back to normal tomorrow. It is too fuzzy and tired for me to program at the moment.

Another "solution" would be:

Release the game (considering everything is printed, assembled) and give all profits made out of it to Guy Foster

Man! What an akward situation! :|

I agree 100% with you on releasing the game seeing as CollectorVision has already incurred the expense of making boxes, manuals, labels, carts and PCBs as well as Toby's personal time to assemble everything. I don't know about giving ALL the profits to Guy, but an attempt to contact him and discuss matters should be made, as I'm sure will happen. When all is said and done, the CV Community needs a healthy CollectorVision and you deserve to make a profit as well that we all know will be funneled back into more CV goodness in the future.

• Like 5

i'm going to be sarcastic here...

Where is the problem?.. When 'somebody' port games to coleco by more or less just hacking the original code made by someone else it does not cause problem and here we have exactly the same situation. except it is port from coleco to coleco... :D

Then, maybe I should release Ghouls N Zombies ? :P ;)

Wow, I been out of the scene for couples of days putting orders together and I just see this, I didn't know about Guy Foster before I spoke to Cyril. I did ask the guy who told me after all

that he reprogrammed the game. Boxes, labels and manual has been all ordered :-( It is a weird situation. I would really like that we can talk to Guy about it.

Your right J-F lesson learned for both of us.

After all that said the pre-sales is going good. If you didn't secure your copies you better do it now ;-)

Thank you!!!!!

We could also probably ask Kevin Horton about Earth Defend 2083 cause the programmer told me he help him finishing the game to be able to run it on a CV cart. :?

Kevin Horton?

What did the "programmer" did after all?!

Looks like he is more a hacker than a programmer

Otherwise, call me a programmer since I'm able to hack roms

I really don't understand... Frankly...

I mean, supposing the guy did made the game and ask Kevin Horton to help him getting work on real hardware

But in other hand, it really seems like an original game from Guy Foster

I could be wrong (and hope so) but this is not looking good

I'm really confused.....

I wouldn't sweet it too much J-F. Stuff like this happened all the time back in the ole' ADAM Users Group days with people submitting programs for commercial distribution which were actually public domain/freeware programs that they had slightly modified or simply just stripped out the Basic REMark lines that contained details of who originally made the program. The best one was a self-booting version of the Turbo rom that had the CV BIOS screen hacked to read Super Turbo.

How's that old saying go....

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

In the end, we get to add another awesome CollectorVision CIB to our collections.

Edited by NIAD

I wouldn't sweet it too much J-F. Stuff like this happened all the time back in the ole' ADAM Users Group days with people submitting programs for commercial distribution which were actually public domain/freeware programs that they had slightly modified or simply just stripped out the Basic REMark lines that contained details of who originally made the program. The best one was a self-booting version of the Turbo rom that had the CV BIOS screen hacked to read Super Turbo.

How's that old saying go....

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

In the end, we get to add another awesome CollectorVision CIB to our collections.

Earth Defend will get release

But, we will try to make things right and contact Guy Foster to give him some deserved money