IGNORED

N64 Racing Games

Gabriel

Any of the rally games are going to be linear driving, not around tracks. I don't know why OP wouldn't have picked up one of those before Beetle Adventure Racing, considering his stated dislike for track based racers.

Actually, Top Gear Rally is all circuit based. You run laps around a course instead of racing on a linear point to point track. Judging by screenshots, the poorly received Rally Challenge 2000 is the same way. So half of all Nintendo 64 rally racers are based on running multiple laps. Only V-Rally and Top Gear Rally 2 are point to point.

And of the two off-road games that aren't classified as rally racers, only one of those is point to point (Off-Road Challenge). Monster Truck Madness has you running laps around a course.

Edited by Atariboy

Re-volt on the Dreamcast was a BLAST. Not sure how the N64 version stacks up.

Terrible, that's how.

The only game that I've played and really liked that wasn't lap oriented was California Speed. There are some courses where you do laps, but most are point a to point b.

As for lap oriented games, wipEout 64 is close to if not the best wipEout game there is. You might also try extreme-G. It's a futuristic motorcycle racer with elements of wipEout.

Hydro Thunder was ported to the n64. It was a good version, though they renamed the ship Damn the Torpedoes.

But f-Zero X is where it's at. And there's no way GX is better. Play X with a car with a grip rating of E and you'll be sliding around turns at breakneck turns like never before. Plus if you unlock the X cup you have a new game every time as the X cup tracks are randomly generated, and sometimes are out of this world crazy. Like crazy as in every other racer dies because the ai can't even figure it out. It's awesome. Plus the music is the best in the series by far. Far better than Segas boring tunes in GX.

But f-Zero X is where it's at. And there's no way GX is better. Play X with a car with a grip rating of E and you'll be sliding around turns at breakneck turns like never before. Plus if you unlock the X cup you have a new game every time as the X cup tracks are randomly generated, and sometimes are out of this world crazy. Like crazy as in every other racer dies because the ai can't even figure it out. It's awesome. Plus the music is the best in the series by far. Far better than Segas boring tunes in GX.

F-Zero X is excellent. Although I personally don't think negatively one bit about GX. That is still a beautiful looking game, it's super fast and is still a ton of fun to play. One of the best Game Cube games out there if you ask me. I even got to play the arcade version of it a few months back.. That was super cool, sitting in the cockpit and having it move while playing like in the old After Burner and OutRun days. Every time you used the boost, the whole thing rumbled. So cool. But yes, X is great as well, and probably my favorite N64 game. I love the rock and metal music in it, it's so energetic. But, I also still dig the tunes in GX, it fits very well with the futuristic graphical style, and I think the metal really works with X's more gritty/plain looking style.

Racing games i like.

aerogauge. diddy kong racing, extreme g, extreme g2, mario kart 64, rush 2 and wipeout 64.

How far have you ever made it in Aero Gauge? I have tried to like it on many occasions (the most recent being a few months back), but I just cannot figure out how to beat the AI. I always finish dead last, or close to it, and that completely kills my enjoyment of the game. It has a cool concept and I like the flying-oriented gameplay, it's unique.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...

World Driver Championship is the only true car racing game worth owning to play on real hardware that I have seen, and I have seen them all with the exception of Rev Limit which has been found but has been sold to a hoarder who is not going to let you play it, hopefully he gets cancer of the asshole or something.

There is not one single rally game that comes close to the handling sophistication of even Colin McRae on PS1.

Other 'racing games' I am not interested myself, only actual cars or bikes so I can compare to real life (I have a racing licence, put it that way).

I played a lot of Hot Wheels Turbo Racing on N64 back in the day, but the PS1 version is technically better, if only that the music isn't edited and all compressed. 

I have some of the songs deeply ingrained into my brain... and it was the first time I ever heard Primus lol

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

Oooh butt cancer, who is this scumbag and what's this story about Rev Limit?  You got me curious what this game is and why it's that damn good some hoarder garbage person deserves death.  I mean I can think of someone who deserves it, never got their name though but saw their dirty work for years online, some Japanese piece of crap selfish bastard who scrubbed yahoo japan auctions for years buying up prototypes and similar sorts to then NOT dump them, and LOCK them up in his personal storage as private victories never to let them resurface again.  There are plenty of people in the unfinished game business hoping he dies, sooner than later, probably as painfully as possible, so their family or whoever liquidates the stuff puts it out where it can be handled correctly with care if it's not too late.  There are some heavy lost 8/16bit titles of the era, one suspected is the finished copy of Wing Commander II SNES that's just gone into the mists.

My favorite is the extreme G games, kind of motorcycle racing, well designed tracks, and FAST.

I played tons of Lamborghini which drove great, and even had weather effects that seemed to actually affect your performance.

Beetle adventure racing is also a favorite, granted, only beetle cars, but still great tracks.

Revolt ruled, has a basic track editor too which is fun to mess around with, and its combat too.

Of course, any of the Mario and donkey kong, if you like go cart combat racing games, or wider appeal multiplayer games.