IGNORED

Interest Check - Desert Bus 2600

Dethfactor

So what's the view/screen gonna be like, from behind the cockpit like the original, from behind the bus like your screenshot, sort of a 1D sprite or like from behind the vehicle like 18 Wheeler.

Woah, my head's exploding. Explain your post, please. On second thought please don't. Am I missing comedy? I'm not trying to be mean, but there is no question. Questions end in question marks.

Post 1 shows the title screen and the gameplay screen. There is a YouTube video.

How high/much voltage you be?

A sprite in one dimension would be either a horizontal line, a vertical line, or a line containing depth.

Woah, my head's exploding. Explain your post, please. On second thought please don't. Am I missing comedy? I'm not trying to be mean, but there is no question. Questions end in question marks.

Post 1 shows the title screen and the gameplay screen. There is a YouTube video.

A sprite in one dimension would be either a horizontal line, a vertical line, or a line containing depth.

To be clear, a one dimensional body would be invisible to the human eye if it existed and would not ever exist IRL. 1 dimensional objects can only exist in n+1 dimension space (it would have to exist in or on something such as a 2D plane where you plot points on a line. If you wanna get really anal about it, two dimensional bodies also do not exist except in Star Trek The Next Generation. So by this logic, Desert Bus 2600 has glorious 3D graphics.

• Like 1

Wouldn't 2 dimensional be visible from the correct angle though? One could argue that they are 2d since you can't see a third dimension therefore you can't prove it exists. It could also be argued that the object making the image is 3d be it a pixel or plasma gas.

Screw all that, I just want to know the price before any of us get too serious.

Edited by mkiker2089

OK

the original game from Penn and Teller is from behind the steering wheel view, looking through the front window, where after 5 hours a fly splashes onto the window. So it wont be like that then???? (Four question marks just for iesposta).

The other view would be like Fatal Run, from behind the vehicle. No???? I guess not.

The behind the bus view in this game looks a bit like....flat, if you know what I mean.

I am the highest of Voltage, I killed the shark in JAWS 2

Edited by high voltage
  • Like 1

Things are rolling along. Waiting for a final proto boards to come in before we have the production boards produced. That being said the timetable and pricing is as follows:

The carts are looking to be released mid-late october and we're going to start a cart only pre-order thread here soon in a few weeks. That being said we've devised 3 packages and these are going to be limited to pre-orders on here plus a small number to be sold on our site. We might make a few more carts for a few gaming shows like CGE/MGC as we continue to make releases. Following the cart sales we'll start pre-order for the boxed cart as our release timeline shapes up for that edition.

That being said here are the 3 Desert Bus 2600 packages.

$30 limited cart only edition (atariage pre-order only) $35 afterwards on our site.

$50 limited boxed edition w/manual (atariage pre-order only) $60 afterwards on our site.

$70 limited boxed edition + limited t-shirt (atariage pre-order only) $80 afterwards on our site.

The shirts are double sided black soft mens tees with the large desert bus 2600 label on the back and a small "Tucson to Las Vegas 407 Miles" graphic on the front left chest.

Moving forward please still still specify a "cart" or "boxed" edition, we'll divvy up shirt additions when the boxed copy goes up for pre-sale.

Here's our interest list thus far.

CART

1. Atari2500Lives

2. kennybrooks

3. mkiker2089

4. classiccollector

5. BadHornet

6. luciferhalo (possible on price)

7. Necron99

8. UberArcade

9. ataricolltr

10. toymailman

11. ntavio

12. swlovinst

13. swlovinst

14. Mark T

15. Blitzwing256

16. Marc Oberhauser

17. Meyhem

18. strudders

Boxed edition:

1. bfstats

2. Geondp

3. atari181

4. toymailman

5. BadHornet

6. TrekMD

7. Marc Oberhauser

8. kennybrooks

9. Godzilla

10. Godzilla

11. rpgcollector

12. san-d-2600

13. Andre81

14. ianoid

15. CountessLenore

16. rolanta

I hate to be the one providing "the emperor has no clothes" moment, but if the screenshot at the beginning is actually representing the game, the 2600/SVA can do a lot better than that. I mean look at those immensely blocky graphics. Also I went and watched video of the Sega CD original, and it's from the perspective of the bus driver looking out over his dashboard etc. The Atari could do a lot of that really. If you want this for the novelty of the cartridge and the box etc. fine. I get the joke (drive for nine hours through the desert and get one point) but I think the execution should be better than the screenshot implies.

I hate to be the one providing "the emperor has no clothes" moment, but if the screenshot at the beginning is actually representing the game, the 2600/SVA can do a lot better than that. I mean look at those immensely blocky graphics. Also I went and watched video of the Sega CD original, and it's from the perspective of the bus driver looking out over his dashboard etc. The Atari could do a lot of that really. If you want this for the novelty of the cartridge and the box etc. fine. I get the joke (drive for nine hours through the desert and get one point) but I think the execution should be better than the screenshot implies.

Why, do you think anyone actually plays the game for hours? It's a novelty item only. I'd prefer it play more like a super easy pole position if it were up to me but in the end we are buying a label only.

The game itself looks like a simple game made in batari BASIC. The cost per cart could definitely be less if he used Hozer.

While the above is true it says NOTHING about this effort. It looks like the developer did everything by hand including PCB and eeprom. I have no proof but with all that effort in physical production I'd assume this game is using his own custom kernel. Not an easy thing to do.

So, what I'm saying is, an homage to a gaming in-joke/obscure reference like this takes a little more research and understanding of the process to appreciate fully.

@Dethfactor: Do the original developers know about your homage to their work?

This is why I will never buy another bB game. Yes, I know, I'm a broken record. And honestly this one is better than most of the other crap passed off as "games"

But one spirte, one blocky playfield is a "no thanks" for me.

Especially for $40