IGNORED

ActionMax homebrew

atari2600land

If you follow my blog at all, you'll know I've tossed an idea about an ActionMax homebrew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Max

It would be a hunting game called "Bubba's Buck Blastin'," in which you shoot alien deer that are trying to take over the forest. This revelation of alien deer came after I realized if I go out and film footage of a forest, I probably wouldn't find any deer, and I don't think I have the software or skills to digitally put in deer. So anyway, if you're interested and have an ActionMax system, let me know. Also, let me know if you have a VCR. I'd love to make this a cassette tape to keep in line with the others, but times changed and now most people have a DVD player, so I might have to make a dual release, one VCR and one DVD. I'd love to make a box for the VCR release, but I don't know if it would be cost-effective to make boxes and then have people buy the majority of copies as DVDs. Anyway, I plan to have the game out in early 2014. I don't know the cost because I don't know how many people would want a VHS tape.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I added the first enemy. It took hours to get the dot flashing, and I still don't know if it's flashing at the right speed or not. I put each dot in for an amount of time of 0.02 seconds. I don't know if that will equate to 15 flashes per second or not. Anyway, here is a screenshot. Slowly but surely I am getting the hang of this VERY STUPID, USER UN-FRIENDLY video editing software.

post-9475-0-36731000-1383636392_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Is there a service that converts DVD to VHS? I'm one of the few that want to, I guess. Anyway, I started working on the box art. Here is the front. I aim for a Q2 2014 release (no pun intended).

post-9475-0-17370100-1388292095_thumb.jpg

I like the humor of the kid not aiming at the target on the screen. I did that on purpose just to be silly.

• Like 2

If you don't have any TV out (but at least video capture) you would:

1. Record the game to your PC

2. Use Format Factory to convert the resulting video to a PS3/360 friendly format

3. Download the converted file to a USB stick and insert it into your game system

4. Copy your video to the console for smooth playback.

5. While playing back your video from the game system (attached to your VCR) hit record on your VCR.

I would be using my X-Box 360 since I don't have a PS3. What video files does the 360 support? I am working on the project using a video editor and when I am done, I bet I can select what type of file to save it as. Another question is what is the difference between a USB card and a USB stick?

OK, I guess I will be able to put this on VHS after all, maybe. What I plan to do is use my X-Box 360 to play the DVD on my VHS, then press record on the VHS while the DVD is playing. The question will be, will the VCR capture the flickering lights in a way that the ActionMax can register hits with it? I plan to do more testing once I finish the video file.

1. Burn a DVD of the movie (game)

2. Insert DVD into X-Box 360

3. Play DVD on X-Box 360 while hooked up to the VCR

4. Press record on VHS player while DVD is playing on X-Box 360.

I tested this method and it appears to work OK. I got a 3-second test clip of a DVD onto a VHS tape.

I'm aiming for a Q2 2014 release on this game.

If you don't have any TV out (but at least video capture) you would:

1. Record the game to your PC

2. Use Format Factory to convert the resulting video to a PS3/360 friendly format

3. Download the converted file to a USB stick and insert it into your game system

4. Copy your video to the console for smooth playback.

5. While playing back your video from the game system (attached to your VCR) hit record on your VCR.

This will work, but unfortunately, the video will loose quality as it is converted and then copied. Generation loss sucks.

So is my method any better?

I might have another solution...I have a digital to analog / analog to digital converter box which I use for converting the other direction (VHS to DV). I have to see if it does DV to VHS without major loss....I haven't tried that yet. If it works well, I could assist in doing the conversions for you.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Well, after a longer than intended hiatus, I am back working on it. Last night was brutal, but I finally completed the shooting part. I did the intro this afternoon, so all that's needed now is this:

1. Make ending

2. Buy more VHS tapes

3. Find blank labels for VHS tapes (Avery, perhaps?)

4. Figure out how many to make.

So let me know if you want one. I'm not sure on pricing yet, but I think in the range of $10-$20 would be fair enough. What do you think?

• Like 3

I have an update. Apparently my computer doesn't like the one I have completed. I tried more than once to convert it to a WMV file, but it keeps freezing at the same certain spot. I don't know why. I guess something to try is making a whole new one from scratch (using parts from the other one, obviously not the part where the video software program freezes) and see if the problem arises again.

• 3 weeks later...