IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

If you are doing a round two(which I hope you are) why not make it fit the atarimax shells?

The PCB with all the stuff on it is still too large for a regular shell. Just compare the (already very well packed) two-sided original layout here...

image026.jpgimage025.jpg

with the what you can see here... basically 2x28 pin sockets and you're done (no criticism, it's a very good design)

IMG_6026.jpg

The size the price for having 35 different types of cartridges in one.

• Like 3

but It sure looks the about the same as the ultimate sd remake

Of course, the difference is quite exactly 5 years of technological progress. When the The!Cart hardware was conceived in 2009, CPLDs were the only viable choice for a product like this, so it could be made available with reasonable effort at reasonable price. Comparable FLPDs would have been either to slow, too expensive or had required additional external chips making it all too complex again. This changed starting 2010 and since 2014 with the advent of FPGA of the form that's used in Robin excellent cart, the break-even was reached. Most new developments after that, also those from mega_hz, focus on FPGAs. In fact, a PBI FPGA board is exactly what he presented in the ABBUC hardware contest 2016.

And of course there are functional differences in the way the operate and feel (The!Cart has 128 MB directly memory mapped Flash ROM vs. SD card access to 1 MB SRAM in the Ultimate cart).

• Like 3

Pardon my ignorance, but what is needed to write to this cartridge?

First I was wondering why your are asking - then I realized that the first post in the thread is missing this presentation.

• Like 5