IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

Follow up to the cart shell I created using the latest model. I have my printer set up MUCH better now that is has the Repetier 0.92 software on it. It's literally like owning a brand new printer. I'm sure if I printed out the case using the new setup it would fit together even nicer. Since this is strictly for my own personal use, I'm calling it good enough. I may soon experiment with the "acetone fog" method for polishing the pieces, and I'll fill in the remaining indentations on the front such that any label I apply will stay flat.

The holes for the LEDs were opened up using a jewelers file (round, tapered down to 0.3mm at the small end)

post-650-0-98460600-1486424983_thumb.jpg

Minimal cleanup has been done on this end of the cart. I have more sanding to do and I'll try to eliminate the "layer lines".

post-650-0-91813900-1486424984_thumb.jpg

A very small amount of cleanup was needed in order to fit the reset switch. In my case, the hole needed opened up towards the back of the shell. Given the low print quality of this piece, I would not yet recommend changing the model.

post-650-0-66420400-1486424985_thumb.jpg

Here you see the absolute awesome fitment of the PCB into this case. I actually sanded down the PCB, not the shell. I used GENTLE pressure and a flat block of 320 grit sandpaper. There was barely any fiberglass dust generated from the process, so the material removal was very minimal. This is a "friction fit", the PCB does not move in any direction.

post-650-0-76314800-1486424986_thumb.jpg

Ready to click together.

post-650-0-18290200-1486424988_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Jac!,

Would it ever be possible in the future, for The!Cart to load "ATX" files?

Just curious.

That would imply simulating the Floppy Drive and CPU inside the Atari and do as if there was even SIO in between...

Sounds like a ... well, I think it'll be more effective if you just PM the ATX and I remove the protection for fun ;-)

• Like 2

Thus - it's Atari way to use simulators of any devices!

Correct and that's why The!Cart can emulate "D:" and SIO. But ATX is the format to emulate what happens on the SIO wire directly. The (few) programs that require this intentionally bypass the OS to make sure they cannot be copied.

Is it possible to load programs that need many disks (for example, Alternate Reality and The Dark Crystal need more than 4 disks)?

You can leverage the support from MegaCart Studio Images for that. Not sure it the emulation works with these specific program of course.

Excerpt from the documentation:

http://www.wudsn.com/productions/atari800/thecartstudio/help/TheCartStudio.html

post-17404-0-26713500-1487701429_thumb.png

Just a note on using Maxflash Studio to load ATR's. The above chart says disk swapping is not supported, but you can swap between 4 disk images by pressing ctrl+shift+1,2,3 or 4. The atr image selected is accessible as D1:. You need to put the 4 atr files sequentially in the maxflash cart menu. The atr you select when the cart boots will be #1 and the following 3 atr's in the list will be 2,3 and 4. I've used this to copy atr's to real disks since I don't have an SIO2?? device.

• Like 1

Just a note on using Maxflash Studio to load ATR's. The above chart says disk swapping is not supported, but you can swap between 4 disk images by pressing ctrl+shift+1,2,3 or 4. The atr image selected is accessible as D1:. You need to put the 4 atr files sequentially in the maxflash cart menu. The atr you select when the cart boots will be #1 and the following 3 atr's in the list will be 2,3 and 4. I've used this to copy atr's to real disks since I don't have an SIO2?? device.

Nice, didn't know that. Fixed the description, thanks!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They will be available definitively. I talked to mega_hz today. Because of the huge interest, he'll setup a separate page to manage ordering without getting lost in "who ordered what and paid which ...". And that page will of course take time.

And he added a small change to the PCB today which will allow you to modify The!Cart in a way that it runs with an unmodified Atari 800 too. Even though I'd recommend this fix ...

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart/atari-800-fix

... there are certain people who rather want to keep their 800 buggy untouched. There is then the option to keep your Atari 800 untouched and get the missing PHI2 signal from a dummy cartridge in the right slot instead. Here's my test installation.

post-17404-0-63341400-1497822264_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hey Peter,

Still love the good "old" The!Cart but what is this talk about a new version ? Where do I find details about this ? (without going through the 26 pages here :))

Of course I'm interested in one :)

Also noticed the new printed housings for the "old" The!cart...do you still have one for sale ?

Thanks for all the awesome work !! The!cart is really.....THE cart...

• Like 1

Still love the good "old" The!Cart but what is this talk about a new version ? Where do I find details about this ? (without going through the 26 pages here :)) Of course I'm interested in one :)

Also noticed the new printed housings for the "old" The!cart...do you still have one for sale ?

The new version of The!Cart is functionally equivalent to the first version. The PCB and shell will be smaller, so it fits into an 800 in a way you can close the cover. And it'll be prepared to also work in unmodified 800's with by adding a write to the other cartridge port (little soldering required). Both versions work anyway fine in 800's with fixed PHI2 signal on the left slot.

Regarding shells, please PM biobern.

• Like 1

I forgot that there were case files made available, but now that I've reached a semblance of competency with my new 3D printer... :D

bGAoby.jpg

What kind of printer do you have? I'm ready to shoot my POS. About 99% ready to sell it, I am even going so far as to get packaging materials for it.

What kind of printer do you have? I'm ready to shoot my POS. About 99% ready to sell it, I am even going so far as to get packaging materials for it.

I went with a Flashforge Creator Pro and it seems to be a brilliantly capable printer.

It's been an exhilarating and infuriating ride going from zero practical knowledge to where I am now, and I can say that 99% of the problems (and all the bigger ones) I've had were my error. The other 1% I think is this particular spool of grey ABS.

I can tell you this - JAC! was 100% on the money when he said this :)

[...] it looks like 3D printing is a real handcraft that you learn [...]

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Man - I love the software on this cart. The menu is beautiful, the search feature is the best. I like the transparent yellow case I 3D printed. But this is the final time I am going to try programming the cart. 128MB through SIO is absolutely unusable. I tried a big collection of ROMs and 100% of them crashed upon load.

Can we PLEASE find a way to use something like the AtariMax USB programmer for this cart? I'd help with anything I could, hardware or software. If not, this cart will unfortunately be going in the bin of stored things, never to be powered up again.

P.S.

Don't ask - it's not for sale.

Man - I love the software on this cart. The menu is beautiful, the search feature is the best. I like the transparent yellow case I 3D printed. But this is the final time I am going to try programming the cart. 128MB through SIO is absolutely unusable. I tried a big collection of ROMs and 100% of them crashed upon load.

Can we PLEASE find a way to use something like the AtariMax USB programmer for this cart? I'd help with anything I could, hardware or software. If not, this cart will unfortunately be going in the bin of stored things, never to be powered up again.

P.S.

Don't ask - it's not for sale.

Thats why I sold my The!Cart and many other flashcarts - I simply do not want to wait 15 minutes for flashing a 4MB flashcart or much much longer for flashing a 128MB flashcart with the A8. With the Ultimate Cart. or UNO Cart. however you can simply use your PC and copy+paste or drag+drop to fill the SD card or micro SD card (filling 4MB then takes a few seconds)...

It is okay to flash a 1MBit (128kbyte) flashcart with the A8, it already takes quite long to fill an 8MBit (1MB) flashcart with the A8, everything bigger than that, sorry I do not have the patience to flash it with the A8 (and loading the data from a SIO2xxx device)...

A device similar (or equivalent) to an Atarimax USB programmer would be fine or like I already mentioned going the SD/micro-SD card and thus PC route. But it would be great to have an A8 cart with enough onboard (fast) RAM that can load ROM/CAR, XEX and ATR up to 16MB...

I do have 64k Ataris, so a cart with 64MB RAM onboard and a 64GB SD/micro-SD card would be the ideal choice... ;-) And a BIOS, errm, firmware that can load ATR, CAR and XEX...

@Stephen: Are you the owner of Don't Ask software/hardware ?!? ;-) But Don't Ask did sell software/hardware... ;-)

Edited by CharlieChaplin