IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

Can an original Case used with drilling to put thecart in?

No. The PCB with the improved (smaller) layout is still too big for a regular case/shell. But the new shell now fits into the Atari800 so the lid can be closed.

• Like 1

OK, we have decision on the shell now. The quality that we can deliver with bioberns own printer exceeds what can be obtained from commercial 3D printers for twice the price.

Hence we'll print them ourselves and the price will be 15 EUR per shell.

• Like 4

What's the functional difference between The!Cart and the Ultimate Cart? I own an Ultimate Cartridge and it seem to do all I need it to do, but I'm no expert.

Hi Mathy, a detailed comparison of the different storage solutions and their properties is available here:

http://www.wudsn.com/index.php/productions-atari800/tools/thecart

if you already own Robin's great cart and are satisfied with it, you probably won't need The!Cart.

That does not mean you shouldn't buy it of course - it has such a cool menu system ;-)

• Like 4

I personally prefer The!Cart. It is instantly starting bigger rom files (no loading). The menu of The!Cart is the best menu ever seen on a8 and it supports ATR loading (limited but cool enough to be functional for some games I love to play like Johnys Trouble and Cropky).

Definitely a must have.

• Like 2

Do you happen to know what material/process is being used to print those?

We use the "Bernhard in his basement with the Felix DIY Printer he got as a present for his last birthday" process :-). As it turns out 3d printing is a handcraft and you get better as you practice. Here you see first iterations evolving left to right:

DSC01270.JPG

And this is how it looks today. Honestly I have not seen a comparable result from any other print option. They right temperature and speed even yields shiny sides.

thecart-shell-v1-02.jpg

And it's a perfect fit for the PCB.

Important: Esp. for XL computer I highly recommend a shell (own print or ours) because the metal lid of the cartridge port can kill the PCB (short circuit).

• Like 6

Hello!

If I remember correctly, there was also a mentioning of 3D printed shells for the older The!Carts on the ABBUC JHV. Are these available yet?

Yes, you can get them independent of the V2 run. Just PM biobern.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally caught up with all open requests. We have about 15 pieces left for the first run. So send you wife the link to this thread in case she is still unsure about what your X-mas wishes ;-)

• Like 1

Finally caught up with all open requests. We have about 15 pieces left for the first run. So send you wife the link to this thread in case she is still unsure about what your X-mas wishes

Does "open request" mean anyone who e-mailed and asked to be put on the list? Because I did that over a year ago, and never received any notice recently or ever. I just found out about it right here and now! So please let me know how I can avoid being overlooked again if you make more of them. What does 15 pieces left mean? First run? Version 1? Or 2? Cases or actual Cart?

Edited by Gunstar

Does "open request" mean anyone who e-mailed and asked to be put on the list? Because I did that over a year ago, and never received any notice recently or ever. I just found out about it right here and now! So please let me know how I can avoid being overlooked again if you make more of them. What does 15 pieces left mean? First run? Version 1? Or 2? Cases or actual Cart?

I went through the thread in November and contacted the people who replied in the thread in the course of time since V2 was announced and mega-hz recently sent a mail to all that he had collected via mail in parallel.

We have 15 V2 boards available in the run that is planned for end of December. Optionally plus V2 shell (highly recommended). See post

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215811-thecart-new-128mb-flash-cartridge/?p=3874619

Shells for V1 can also be provided on request.

Please just PM as described in the post.

I went through the thread in November and contacted the people who replied in the thread in the course of time since V2 was announced and mega-hz recently sent a mail to all that he had collected via mail in parallel.

We have 15 V2 boards available in the run that is planned for end of December. Optionally plus V2 shell (highly recommended). See post

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/215811-thecart-new-128mb-flash-cartridge/?p=3874619

Shells for V1 can also be provided on request.

Please just PM as described in the post.

Then mega-hz didn't contact everyone. But thanks, I've been waiting since summer '16 for an email, I thought I was covered, so I wasn't checking in on the thread. Unless of course an email through the link at the bottom of THECART! website was not the proper way, even though the site says it is...

Edited by Gunstar

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Update:

We've had lot of trouble due to not fully backward compatible flash & EEPROM chips on the PCB.

And we found the issues out only after everything are produced.

Meanwhile we've found proper replacements and Wolfram is soldering and testing.

Current results show 100% compatibility with the original, so we keep our fingers crossed.

We prefer to have a single version of The!Cart that is tested and works with existing software and workbooks.

And we personally pay the new chips, to make it available as you actually ordered it.

Pitty the stuff is SMD, since nobody will buy the unused but already soldered once stuff with is actually worth a fortune.

Donations via my web site are welcome...

Later today or tomorrow I'll meet with Biobern to finalize the 3D model for the 1st shell print with the final PCB.

• Like 8

Update:

We've had lot of trouble due to not fully backward compatible flash & EEPROM chips on the PCB.

And we found the issues out only after everything are produced.

Meanwhile we've found proper replacements and Wolfram is soldering and testing.

Current results show 100% compatibility with the original, so we keep our fingers crossed.

We prefer to have a single version of The!Cart that is tested and works with existing software and workbooks.

And we personally pay the new chips, to make it available as you actually ordered it.

Pitty the stuff is SMD, since nobody will buy the unused but already soldered once stuff with is actually worth a fortune.

Donations via my web site are welcome...

Later today or tomorrow I'll meet with Biobern to finalize the 3D model for the 1st shell print with the final PCB.

Please tell me what the extra cost per cart is, and I will pay you instantly. This is part of hobby, and you guys try to make something fabulous for us, and I absolutely appreciate that A LOT. I do not want that you have to pay for my hobby. This is not a business you are running, but you are doing an atari-community service. So please tell me what extra money 1 cart costs. I ordered three, so you'll get 3x that money.

• Like 7

Hi Marius,

it's 7 EUR per Flash.

I know for many of you the price of The!Cart is major expense and you cannot afford additional payments. That is perfectly OK.

The fault was fully on our side (to not have 1 piece shipped before the full run) and I book it as "increase in experience", hoping the final result is as it should be.

The good thing is that it seems that we will be able to later order smaller runs (10-20 pcs) again.

Best regards, Peter.

• Like 2