IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

If the original cards use flash only, it should be possible. But since the flash chip is different and every chip has a different layout/block size dedicated code is needed. Patching on the fly is possible with The!Cart Studio, but some would need to create the patch for the flash routine.

Pac-Man 2012 and Space Harrier both use AtariMax Flash carts.

I put Space Harrier in a 8Mbit AtariMax cart. It saves high scores (higher than 1 million).

Then I guess my scores are saved. I was hoping it would save a starting level, when you have the option to choose at the main menu, if you've already played and made it enough levels to the save point (as long as power is on). I seem to recall being surprised at not being able to restart on level 12 or around there, after making it that far before...and turning off the game.

EDIT: I also just remembered that I had borrowed my 8Mb SH flashcart to play AtariBlast!, so obviously my high scores were wiped then too.

Edited by Gunstar

It works on a Mac but the fact that files have to be dropped one-by-one makes it a very tedious job. Also nog having (sub)folders means you are forced to select by search meaning you need to know part of the name.

I don't understand why it would be one-by-one if you select all in the finder. And knowing part of the name is easy, because they are either .rom, .car or .atr.

I just check on my Mac mini and it works just fine the way I described it.

post-17404-0-56138500-1519510262_thumb.jpg

post-17404-0-56575300-1519510278_thumb.jpg

I don't understand why it would be one-by-one if you select all in the finder. And knowing part of the name is easy, because they are either .rom.car or .atr. I'll check on my Mac the next day. Maybe I misunderstand your problem...

=========

I can't recheck at the moment but I am sure I could only drag a single program into the Cart Window. Multiples did not work.

I don't understand why it would be one-by-one if you select all in the finder. And knowing part of the name is easy, because they are either .rom.car or .atr. I'll check on my Mac the next day. Maybe I misunderstand your problem...

=========

I can't recheck at the moment but I am sure I could only drag a single program into the Cart Window. Multiples did not work.

I always do it with a Mac. No problems to select hundreds of files at a time and drag it to theCartStudio.

• Like 1

Hello, a question about that *.car file format: all i have found is .rom or .bin -

they surely work but are there also collections of car-files available

or is it something I have to covert with the specific tool?

But as the roms and bins are working, why should I?

I'm a bit irritated, please help... :)

CAR files have a 16-byte header before the ROM data that contains the cartridge type (plus other info like a checksum).

This type is quite important as ROM dumps of the same size could be coming from rather different cartridge types - eg a 16k ROM could be from a standard 16k cart (using 16k memory at $8000-$BFFF) or a 16k bankswitching OSS cart (using 8k memory at $A000-$BFFF).

If you select the wrong type the cartridge dump doesn't work.

If you add a raw ROM dump in The!Cart Studio it'll try to find out what kind of cart this is by comparing the checksum against a list of known carts. This can fail though if you try to add a dump that's not "well known", in this case you have to manually select the type. With a CAR file The!Cart Studio will use the type from the header instead.

Most emulators have an option to convert between ROM and CAR files, and if you have an unknown ROM file that's also the easiest way to find out what type it could be. The emulator will also ask you about the type and you can quickly find out which type will work or not. This isn't 100% accurate though, there might be multiple types that work but have subtle differences - eg a standard 16k cart and a Blizzard 16k both use $8000-$BFFF but the latter can be switched off.

so long,

Hias

• Like 5

Update: tf_hh finally received the V2 and is flashing it right now to start analyzing the Atari 400 compatibility issue.

We want to make sure that if there is a fix possible & required, we won't have "fixed and unfixed" The!Carts out there.

Thanks for you patience.

• Like 8

UPDATE: Finally tf_hh identified the (hopyfully last) issue!!! The phi2_short signal generated by the RC combination is too short due to the value of the resistor. With the current 5.6k the signal is too short for the Atari 400, with 6.8k it works in Atari 400/XL/XE. Test for Atari 800 is on the todo list. Wolfram has sent out only 8 PCBs with the 5.6k resistor by now within Germany. All remaining PCBs will get the correct resistor now. It's SMD, but on the other hand only a resistor, so changing it should be doable. I'll do that also as test myself.

• Like 8

Honestly, I think that half the fun of these things is doing the work of filling your own cart yourself.

And some people believe that the fun of something like The!Cart is actually designing, building, and programming it, so are you planning on doing that as well? =B>

• Like 3

UPDATE: Finally tf_hh identified the (hopyfully last) issue!!! The phi2_short signal generated by the RC combination is too short due to the value of the resistor. With the current 5.6k the signal is too short for the Atari 400, with 6.8k it works in Atari 400/XL/XE. Test for Atari 800 is on the todo list. Wolfram has sent out only 8 PCBs with the 5.6k resistor by now within Germany. All remaining PCBs will get the correct resistor now. It's SMD, but on the other hand only a resistor, so changing it should be doable. I'll do that also as test myself.

Another update... also the programming (flashing) of The!Cart V2 works now fine on an Atari 400 or Atari 800! I´ve tested it with a full 128 MByte ATR file (took over 7 hours each!), no problems.

The Atari 800 need the PHI2 cartridge patch, of course (see here: PHI2 Patch for Atari 800)

Owners of the The!Cart V1 version can also use their carts with an old Atari computer, when the CPLD code is updated to the lasted version from Hias and the actual CARTMENU is used. The cartridge won´t fit with a closed cartridge door, but it works :)

• Like 8

Got my cart yesterday. looks beautiful and is working great, Thanks to Peter, Jürgen and Wolfram.

attachicon.gifIMG_3218.JPG

Awesome job!!!!

But where is the gold leaf inlay? :? ;)

Guess what I'll be adding to mine...

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3