IGNORED

THE!CART... New 128MB FLASH Cartridge

mega-hz

Sorry for me spamming this thread a bit, but man... I have been playing around tonight with this cart, and how cool is this? What a capacity, and what a compatibility.

This is a very nice cart, honest!

It's great to hear other users’ experiences. I agree! The more time I spend with this Cart the more amazing it becomes. Capacity and compatibility is the key. You can run ROMs such as Commando, Mean 18, Crime Buster, Crossbow, Midi-Maze and many others on a stock Atari (no additional ram). You can fit 128 of Atarimax's 8mb huge carts filled with programs on this thing. Or load thousands of your ROMs one at a time. No need to modify already existing Atarimax images or your Rom's for them to work.

I can hardly wait each day to check this thread for updates. This Cart is already in my book a "MUST HAVE”!

JAC! is working on software to this cart so we don't have to manually type a "Start Bank" number.

Let's give him all the encouragement we can!

Thanks to everybody involved in making this cart.

Speaking about titles in .XEX form which need more memory: is there a ROM version of Bomb Jack (Bomb Jake) available? I love that game, but as binary it needs 320K; would love to add this one to THE!Cart.

And one of my other favorite games is Johny's Trouble. There is a 128KB file version, although that one has a problem with the controls (well... problem... it behaves different, which makes that I can not play the game). A conversion of that game to a cart version would be awesome.

And last but not least... The Brundles.... that is also such an awesome game, devided over 3 disks. Anyone familiar with that title? Any plans of a conversion to cart?

You said it, FULS. Well, to be fair, there are R16s of the 5 games you mentioned -- the MyIDE II will also run all 5 of those on my stock XEGS. There aren't R16s of Mario Bros. and Tower Toppler yet. There is a Maxflash workbook that splits Mario Bros. up and gets it working (created by tep392). But this is the first device to run Tower Toppler on a 64k machine. And it's probably the first device that gets the big XEGS games working on an original 800 (I still need to try it with that). Also, it's true that the R16s are slight modifications, while this is using the originals. About the only ROM this doesn't directly support is Bounty Bob. However, I've already mentioned how to create a workaround for that, and it's included in the workbook I uploaded. I should mention that I've used many of your ROM dumps in that (though many came from AtariMania as well). You've got an impressive collection to say the least.

Wait. Just when I was ready to call it perfect, I found another tiny issue -- OSB ROMs. It crossed my mind to try Demon Attack just to see if that was going to be a problem. Indeed, it crashed. Oh well, I've got a cracked copy of Demon Attack, I just never bothered replacing it because FAT32Loader can process the [osb] tag on-the-fly. OK, definitely looks the MyIDE II still has it's advantages (actually it always will I guess, each does things the other never will, that's why I bought both). I'm sure the final menu will have on-the-fly OSB loading. Until then I'll make a Maxflash of the 24 ROMs affected. Oh well I did say that workbook was a work in progress. The next one will be a bit more polished.

Edited by ZylonSlayer77

OK. I've got a new workbook compiled if anyone wants to try it out. What's new? Well, the OSB ROMs are in a Maxflash compilation (and should therefore work). I hadn't noticed they had put out Summer Games for the 8 Mbit (added). And I've actually taken the time to go through the 1 Mbit Maxflash stuff now, added 93 128 KB carts, including replacing M.U.L.E. with the 1 Mbit version (I know I'm not short on space, but, I still don't want to waste it needlessly). Try it out. Hopefully there won't be any problems this time, but, that's why I'm uploading it for people to test. Here you go -- All Carts Workbook NEW.zip

Have fun!

• Like 4

OK. So, The!Cart apparently can't load 16K ROMs from a Maxflash workbook, just like emulators can't. Apparently there's something in the real carts that the Maxflash software can check for. I was unable to find an XEX of the Astro Chase from Parker Bros. The only difference appears to be the text at the beginning of the game though. The remaining 11, I was able to locate XEXs of to replace in the workbook for OS-B ROMs. Now they work. Also, I've got exactly one ECPC game I couldn't find a ROM dump of, so I made the XEX a self-booting Maxflash just like Bounty Bob. I've done the same thing with a couple of hacks as well, one's and ATR of Gyruss with cheats, the other's an XEX-based controller fix for Wizard Of Wor so it works with joystick 1. I also located a v2 of Mean 18 in a set of files I hadn't gone through with a fine tooth comb yet, and a couple of other things. So here it is -- All Carts Workbook FINAL.zip

This is about as much as I think will fit within the 10 MB post limit, so, this will be the last version of the workbook I will upload unless there's something I missed. I may make some Maxflash compilations that have been tested with The!Cart available in the future, but I'll post them in a separate thread ("Protos without Plastic", "Repros without Roms", and "Where's the Cart?" are 3 tentative titles, you know, those games AtariMania and other sites say there's supposed to be a cart of, but the Hell if anyone can actually find it, or maybe something you'd think would have a cart, such as Warlords). There are many great compilations you may or may not want to add to this, but I've avoided loading this thing down with them for a reason (as nice as that Boulderdash one is) -- it can start to get confusing as to what game is where if you have too many. So I've tended to focus on single game conversions, and most compilations either contain special hacks needed to get disk-based games to run (Bard Cart) or are workarounds for certain ROM-based games (the OS-B issue, the fact that the 5200 conversions don't have ROM variants, etc.). Compilations are largely a matter of taste also -- people's opinions of what are "must have" or are the "best of" vary. This way, that's your call.

I feel this is sufficient to show off what the device is capable of, get people's feet wet, and provide an example of how to use the studio software. No need for further revisions at this time. Though before I conclude, I will include the MCWs I used in this project just in case anyone wants to modify them -- MCWs used in All Carts Workbook.zip

Enjoy!

• Like 3

Cannot wait for mine to get here! This looks like it is going to be Great!

So the zip file listed above when unzipped is about 27mb. This looks to be only game cartridges. This leaves us 100mb to still load up?

Since I do not have my cart yet to play with, A question, can we have multi tiered menus or folders. Say a folder with all programming languages and another with games and yet another with different DOS's?

Robert.

I've noticed what seem to be bugs. In The!Cart Studio, if you try to add something that doesn't add properly it seems to reserve the bank space anyway. I had dragged an older format maxflash .ATR image over which the Studio didn't like so it didn't actually add it to the workbook but it reserved the space. I did it a couple times because I thought the drag/drop wasn't working properly so it reserved 3 maxflash 1MB banks, then added proper working stuff after them :P

Also twice due to who knows what, the incremental update seemed to fail (using the huge image and Aspeqt). It programmed all the way to almost the very end then gave a read error on the A8 side. The only way it seemed to work was to erase the cart, and then apply the entire image which worked all the way through.

OK. So, The!Cart apparently can't load 16K ROMs from a Maxflash workbook, just like emulators can't. Apparently there's something in the real carts that the Maxflash software can check for. I was unable to find an XEX of the Astro Chase from Parker Bros. The only difference appears to be the text at the beginning of the game though. The remaining 11, I was able to locate XEXs of to replace in the workbook for OS-B ROMs. Now they work. Also, I've got exactly one ECPC game I couldn't find a ROM dump of, so I made the XEX a self-booting Maxflash just like Bounty Bob. I've done the same thing with a couple of hacks as well, one's and ATR of Gyruss with cheats, the other's an XEX-based controller fix for Wizard Of Wor so it works with joystick 1. I also located a v2 of Mean 18 in a set of files I hadn't gone through with a fine tooth comb yet, and a couple of other things. So here it is -- attachicon.gifAll Carts Workbook FINAL.zip

This is about as much as I think will fit within the 10 MB post limit, so, this will be the last version of the workbook I will upload unless there's something I missed. I may make some Maxflash compilations that have been tested with The!Cart available in the future, but I'll post them in a separate thread ("Protos without Plastic", "Repros without Roms", and "Where's the Cart?" are 3 tentative titles, you know, those games AtariMania and other sites say there's supposed to be a cart of, but the Hell if anyone can actually find it, or maybe something you'd think would have a cart, such as Warlords). There are many great compilations you may or may not want to add to this, but I've avoided loading this thing down with them for a reason (as nice as that Boulderdash one is) -- it can start to get confusing as to what game is where if you have too many. So I've tended to focus on single game conversions, and most compilations either contain special hacks needed to get disk-based games to run (Bard Cart) or are workarounds for certain ROM-based games (the OS-B issue, the fact that the 5200 conversions don't have ROM variants, etc.). Compilations are largely a matter of taste also -- people's opinions of what are "must have" or are the "best of" vary. This way, that's your call.

I feel this is sufficient to show off what the device is capable of, get people's feet wet, and provide an example of how to use the studio software. No need for further revisions at this time. Though before I conclude, I will include the MCWs I used in this project just in case anyone wants to modify them -- attachicon.gifMCWs used in All Carts Workbook.zip

Enjoy!

Great idea on your workbook. It will make it easier for users to get started.

Maybe the 16k OSB roms didn't work in Maxflash is when it loads a soft 800 OS, the roms themselves become ram and the copy protection kicks in?

Non OSB 16k roms work in Maxflash.

I had no luck locating Parker Brothers Xex file.

Maybe replace your Crisis Mountain with one of these carts. There is a thin band of corruption on every screen appearing about 2/3's of the way down.

Crisis Mountain (Synergistic).zip

Thanks for all your testing and informative posts.

Doug

> 'genres' and if I edit one of the game entries then it refuses to exit complaining about Retail genres.

Open the Workbook options, there you can add your own additional entries. You can also use open the MCW file with a text editor and try "Search replace" (but beware not to break the XML).

>I had dragged an older format maxflash .ATR image over which the Studio didn't like so it didn't actually add it to the workbook but it reserved the space

Please provide the ATR via PM. Every version of the Maxflash Studio had its own ATR layout. So far I support the 9 I have seen so far, so let's check the 10th.

>A question, can we have multi tiered menus or folders.

That's the purpose of the genres. They will appear as "tab strips" in the extended menu.

Plus the planned abibility for the Google-like search should be better then hierarchical stuff when it comes to many entries.

>OS B ROMs

My preferred solution would be fixing the ROMs so they properly work with XL OS. Shouldn't be a big problem for any game as they typically do not use much OS anyway (except IRQ/VBI/print).

Edited by JAC!
  • Like 3

Am I still right that there is no menu at all? I took the time to flash the cart this time with all 9 the ATR's ... that took a while yes... I thought: oh perhaps there is a menu, since on the highest banks (16303 and up) I saw that this space was used by the extended menu; but after starting the cart, it was still not there.

If I understand this right (there is still no menu), then that's good... I will wait for it.

If I understand this wrong (there should be a menu), then there is a problem... and in that case I have reported that problem right now.

Greetz

Marius

I feel this is sufficient to show off what the device is capable of, get people's feet wet, and provide an example of how to use the studio software. No need for further revisions at this time. Though before I conclude, I will include the MCWs I used in this project just in case anyone wants to modify them -- attachicon.gifMCWs used in All Carts Workbook.zip

Thanks for sharing :)

Does Infiltrator work for you? It just hangs after the mission 1 briefing when I run it.

I was not able to thoroughly test all of the Maxflash 128 KB carts I grabbed from AtariMax. Please continue to check these and report any problems you find, I'll create a bugfix update eventually (maybe calling it "Final" was a bit too soon, then again, the .tcw should not need an update if all we're doing is replacing problematic conversions with better ones, as long as the name doesn't change). And thanks for the Crisis Mountain replacement, FULS, I think I'll go with the XEX version since that should work on an original 800.

I'm starting to think maybe I should have put the Maxflash carts at the end, since there's always more of those coming out, unlike original ROMs. But the XEGS and Maxflash features were the first two things I wanted to try, so, they were the first two things I added.

I agree the best approach to OSB ROMs is to fix the sloppy code that caused the problem, but the closest I've come to coding are batch and AHK (though one of those AHKs converts click-to-move to direct control, and without remapping keys so it works with apps like Xpadder -- let's just say I got sick of US ARPGs not having proper controller support like the Ys series does).

Sorry about the lack of apps, venom4728a, I just don't want to get them mixed with the games at this point. Well, that and given the roughly 7.5:1 ratio of games to apps, I assumed most of the apps in use were disk images.

I'm still not sure what the best way to approach new game conversions is either. There's the choice of doing Mini 1 MB compilations, or individual 128 KB auto-boot carts. One thing's I've noticed is that FULS placed the source format in parenthesis at the end of the file names on his Crisis Mountain files, and I think I'll be doing the same with mine from now on. We do not want a repeat of what happened with the K-file format after all. These should remain clearly distinguishable.

>I'm still not sure what the best way to approach new game conversions is either

For AtariMax compilation, the extended menu will be able to (optionally) display the individual entries of the compilation in the main list. So you can make compilations (and use th e good ATR/XEX loaders from Maxflash Studio) an still have direct access. All entries in a compilation will then implictly have the same genre.

You all have waited quite a while for this, so now it's time to share the first version of the extended menu.

Download is available on wudsn.com. Only the first 20 entries are displayed, but rest is working.

2014-01-14

• First version of "Extended Menu" implemented. Displays the first 20 entries of the menu are displayed. You can use the cursor keys plus return or the joystick in port 1 with the fire button to select. Press ESC to enter the simple menu.
  • Cartridge type for "64 - MegaCart 2 MB" fixed, it was 63 instead of 64 so ".CAR" file were not recognized correctly.

of course with the DLIs the Wolfram has requested :-)

post-17404-0-49239800-1389738382_thumb.png

• Like 5

Cool development!

Is there a chance that in future the flasher simply completely skips empty space?

It takes rather much (useless?) time to swap 7 ATR's that are empty to finally get to the last one which contains the menu.

Since the menu is on a fixed place perhaps a feature where you can seperately flash content and menu is an idea?

Fix uploaded for the content type detection.

2014-01-15

• Cartridge database was broken after refactoring and is now working again.

>Is all I get for a file name with this is a lonely 'b' in the DLI menu Extended..

Please PM the workbook (zip).

>Is there a chance that in future the flasher simply completely skips empty space?

In fact is does (should in latest versions). I just realized not the lastest Atari Software is included in the Studio, I passed the question to hias, but I'm also not sure if he release it already.