IGNORED

DK Arcade 2600. New 4-Level Demo!

iesposta

What, no Atari Emulators on Ipad? Ouya have emulators but I doubt they'll work with DSP+

http://harmony.atariage.com/

Buy one. You won't regret it. ;-)

For iPad? Sure there is!

"2600.emu" Based on Stella 3.9! Touchscreen and Bluetooth controllers, baby!

You just have to jailbreak once, and not update the software until a break is released for the new particular software version.

post-29575-0-90320800-1386709698_thumb.jpg

For iPad? Sure there is!

"2600.emu" Based on Stella 3.9! Touchscreen and Bluetooth controllers, baby!

You just have to jailbreak once, and not update the software until a break is released for the new particular software version.

attachicon.gifIMG_3569.JPG

So you like to play it on a burlap sack? ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely incredible. This might put the 2600 back in some major limelight when it's done

Cool. I didn't see this game before!

Great work.

Thanks everyone!

I can't believe I've been working on and off this (mostly off) since Christmas 2011!

I can do the layout, graphics and music, but thanks to Byte Knight stepping up and making it a game.

Thanks also to bogax and RevEng who might be sick of all our questions from time to time!

Also thanks to Batari and his batari Basic v1.1d for the next generation of homebrew games!

This WILL have all 4 levels, and hopefully the opening stomp the girders screen.

Awesome, man! I don't know which kernel I like more, yours or VCS. You guys need to collaborate a bit and share source code. One error, I think the hammer animation needs to be sped up to about twice as fast as it is right now. It is possible to smack into a fireball or barrel just by moving towards it, even with the hammer, if the hammer happens to go up right as the enemy approaches. On the NES, this animation is very fast, making missing the barrel difficult unless it hits Mario from behind or diagonally. I believe the arcade version of the hammer animation is slower than NES but still faster than your VCS ROM, although I've haven't played the actual arcade DK (real or emulated) recently.

Also I believe you should used the Japanese screen order (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) instead of US (1,4,1,3,4,1,2,3,4, or however it goes), better yet use one of the difficulty switches to select the screen order.

Edited by stardust4ever

Whow. I would never expect that you could output such a game just by using BASIC... It seems like Batari BASIC makes sence. Of course it is DPC+ but it is still very impressive. And I like that you don't scroll the playfield thus retain the original arcade game behaviour. I like the jump sound effect. So stylish.

Please improve the tuning of the various sound effects and melodies, if it is possible. Quite often they are not harmonized and we don't want another strange sounding "7800 Kong" do we. I know TIA cannot produce every single note (or can it?) but maybe there is room for more tuning.

The gameplay difficulty level seems OK and balanced.

Well done!

I'd suggest to require a button press and release for every jump. Now we can keep jumping when button is pressed and also jump instantly after climbing the ladder if you keep button pressed.

Yes, it will be even harder! But funnier.

Why? Now you have a choice: either push the button or hold it. It is perfect. Don't touch it.

Why? Now you have a choice: either push the button or hold it. It is perfect. Don't touch it.

Imagine there's a magic ladder in the left edge of the screen that takes you directly and safely to the girl! :-D

It's an option but takes away challenge because real challenge happens when you have to pass through obstacles!

I think it's much less rewarding when you can keep button pressed, just my humble opinion.

It is much better when you have to time right your actions, especially when you come out of ladder and there's a barrel coming for you.

Tiny update!

December 25, 2013.

ROM in Post #1

Added heart, heart breaking. Harmony on last 3 notes of blue level when cleared. Playfield pixel lives remaining to left of score.

Feedback appreciated, especially on real hardware during gameplay (rolling or jittering). Note: It does roll _between_ levels.

Edited by iesposta
  • Like 1

Tiny update!

December 25, 2013.

Added heart, heart breaking. Harmony on last 3 notes of blue level when cleared. Playfield pixel lives remaining to left of score.

Feedback appreciated, especially on real hardware during gameplay (rolling or jittering). Note: It does roll _between_ levels.

No rom attached^^^

Awesome, man! I don't know which kernel I like more, yours or VCS. You guys need to collaborate a bit and share source code. One error, I think the hammer animation needs to be sped up to about twice as fast as it is right now. It is possible to smack into a fireball or barrel just by moving towards it, even with the hammer, if the hammer happens to go up right as the enemy approaches.

This is true for the arcade game as well - you have to let up on the joystick when you're about to hit an enemy with the hammer or it can sneak right under.

This is true for the arcade game as well - you have to let up on the joystick when you're about to hit an enemy with the hammer or it can sneak right under.

I think I've been spoiled too much by the NES mechanics, especially with my 4-stage "DK Pie Foundry" repro. Turbo hammer, and you can also hide out at the top of a ladder as barrels roll by, which can have fatal consequences in the arcade version.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, man! I don't know which kernel I like more, yours or VCS. You guys need to collaborate a bit and share source code. ...

Also I believe you should used the Japanese screen order (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) instead of US (1,4,1,3,4,1,2,3,4, or however it goes), better yet use one of the difficulty switches to select the screen order.

Thanks!

Meant to reply much quicker.

Shortly after Joe's Titlescreen turned into a game, he did share his player "State Machine" programming.

Thing is, I can't use assembly! It is very arcade accurate with standing, jumping, backwards jumping, landing, climbing, falling, everything a state machine handles well.

I agree the Japanese screen order makes more sense, so that s what I'm voting for also.

The pie level is done!

Just combining duplicated routines and optimizing for the final Level 3 elevators screen.

• Like 1

Would love to help, but I'm still working on this thing called Zippy the Porcupine. ;)

Will definitely look at your source one of these days though.

Thanks for checking in!

Byte Knight is doing game logic, which would have taken me forever.

RevEng answers our amateurish questions and squashes bB DPC+ bugs!

I can optimize, make sprites, layout and music, so thing are moving right along.

I would definitely prefer Japanese over US stage order, but a difficulty switch or menu toggle selection would be even better!

I agree on the concept you and VCS need to collaborate. It's just like a year back when there were two Star Castle homebrews being worked on simultaneously, and there was lots of forum drama... :ponder:

I think we are collaborating as much as we can.

The thing is he is doing a game entirely in assembly whereas I'm doing a game in batari Basic. He is free to use whatever I have created and I must admit I have used some things he created, and both of us are copying the same original anyway.

Star Castle 8K was finished, but there were no plans to release it. GodzillaJoe saw it on YouTube and posted a forum question about it. I personally suggested we should throw everything we can and make our own Star Castle. Then Chris CD-W posted a ring demo and a few months later had the entire game programmed. He handed it to Thomas who put the finishing touches on it, programming it even closer to the arcade version. As soon as progress was shown on the AtariAge version, the Kickstarter campaign appeared whereby the first 8K version would be made for sale. The original 8K version was not going to be released for any amount of money less than $32,768. The Kickstarter campaign generated probably the most money to date for any modern program on the 2600 - $23,946 (minus the time materials and shipping to get it out).