IGNORED

Thinking of picking up an Astrocade

ApolloBoy

I've been looking into the Astrocade recently and it looks like a fairly neat system. However, I'm torn about whether I should pick one up or not as it has a fairly small library and I'm not sure there's enough good games to make it worthwhile. Also I'd like to be able to do a video mod on it, but there don't seem to be any after the whole 8-bit Domain debacle.

Edited by ApolloBoy

Definitely an interesting system, but as FP said, lots of redundancy and finicky as hell. Might be a very small handful of games that are "great" (3-4 maybe?), but not enough to have ever compelled me to want to spend the time, money and space to devote. Would make an excellent conversation piece or place in sumguy's collection though. From a museum standpoint and only to show off to fellow gaming geeks that is.

It is a very cool system, which is actually kind of a crappy thing since Ballys are inordinately failure prone. It would be one thing if it were like the Studio II or something where you really wouldn't be missing anything, but the Bally has a lot that's worth exploring. It's a very distinctive, unique, and thoroughly enjoyable console, but every single one that I've owned (three or four) has died on me, even after taking precautions against overheating. Take that for what it's worth.

Good topic:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211978-tell-me-about-the-astrocade/

Informative post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/211978-tell-me-about-the-astrocade/?do=findComment&comment=2750112

There have actually been some nice Astrocade consoles (the Astrocade, not one of the Bally consoles) on eBay lately. Just make sure you get confirmation that it works, and proof as well (check out that "Informative post", that guy knows what he's talking about, ;)).

Good luck, its definitely worth picking one up.

I think I'm leaning towards getting one now, but I can't seem to find information on an AV mod aside from the 8-bit Domain board. Looking at the schematic, it looks like there's both chroma and monochrome composite video on the RF modulator pins so it looks like a simple matter to come up with an S-video mod. Thoughts?

I think I'm leaning towards getting one now, but I can't seem to find information on an AV mod aside from the 8-bit Domain board. Looking at the schematic, it looks like there's both chroma and monochrome composite video on the RF modulator pins so it looks like a simple matter to come up with an S-video mod. Thoughts?

I would be all for another S-VIDEO mod, or even just a composite mod, but its beyond my knowledge or expertise.

I've been looking for another 8BitDomain S-VIDEO board for a while now, specifically to see if I could have it reverse engineered or duplicated. There was some type of mod before the 8BitDomain board, which I think is on the ballyalley.com web site. I'm not sure how good it was, if in fact it really worked.

If you're looking for info on possibly creating a mod of your own, try the bally alley yahoo group for info and answers.

Simpler and less risky approach is to simply get a small coax adapter for the rd cord, run then run it through a VCR so as to be able to use AV composite output. That's what I've done with the Astrocade I recently got, and it works flawlessly. You don't have to risk damaging the system either with this approach, and you can run other older systems with an rd cord through the same setup :)

Simpler and less risky approach is to simply get a small coax adapter for the rd cord, run then run it through a VCR so as to be able to use AV composite output. That's what I've done with the Astrocade I recently got, and it works flawlessly. You don't have to risk damaging the system either with this approach, and you can run other older systems with an rd cord through the same setup :)

Not an option as it wouldn't make sense for me to just use a VCR for the Astrocade; I use a Sony PVM which lacks RF and all of my systems that once only used RF have since been modded.

Not an option as it wouldn't make sense for me to just use a VCR for the Astrocade; I use a Sony PVM which lacks RF and all of my systems that once only used RF have since been modded.

The Astrocade would be the one retro system where it might make sense to send the rf through a VCR because of the fragility of the systems. Given how fragile and difficult to obtain (in working order) they can be, you'd be taking a great risk in trying to modify or even open one up in any way at all. If you've got a working system just leave it alone.

Not really sure how this gives you a better picture than RF? You're using RF into the VCR to begin with, then further degrading the signal by sending it through the VCR, no? I would think your strait RF with one of those adapters would give you a better picture.

The S-VIDEO adapter from 8BitDomain was probably the least intrusive add on to any console I've seen, since all you have to do is remove the RF modulator, plug the S-VIDEO adapter plug in place of it, and attach two connectors to the motherboard. Nothing is permanent and can be reversed 100%.

Here's the custom mod on my own Astrocade:

S-Video Upgrade

The Astrocade would be the one retro system where it might make sense to send the rf through a VCR because of the fragility of the systems. Given how fragile and difficult to obtain (in working order) they can be, you'd be taking a great risk in trying to modify or even open one up in any way at all. If you've got a working system just leave it alone.

OK, seriously, these things (Bally/Astrocade) aren't eggs, you can't be that afraid to crack one open. I know they can be finicky, but I think most of the ones that give people trouble when they are opened, were giving the people trouble before they were opened.

In over 13 years I've only had one console give me crap after I removed the RF shield, that was working perfectly fine before I removed it. And all that took was re-seating the custom data chip to get it back 100%.

Or, just get a spare. Or two. :-D

Edited by TMOSteel

Not really sure how this gives you a better picture than RF? You're using RF into the VCR to begin with, then further degrading the signal by sending it through the VCR, no? I would think your strait RF with one of those adapters would give you a better picture.

You'd think and mostly you'd be right. But, I've witnessed that effect with older VCR's BITD. They had better tuners, with higher quality parts, circuits, filters and amplifier designs. Especially the really old VCR's that had pots that discretely tuned each channel.

• 2 weeks later...

The S-VIDEO adapter from 8BitDomain was probably the least intrusive add on to any console I've seen, since all you have to do is remove the RF modulator, plug the S-VIDEO adapter plug in place of it, and attach two connectors to the motherboard. Nothing is permanent and can be reversed 100%.

Here's the custom mod on my own Astrocade:

S-Video Upgrade

So it's not as simple as connecting to the "video" trace on the expansion port? Looked at the schematic online earlier, but beyoind tracing things back to IC's I don't have any other ideas. Vocational Electronics was a looong time ago... :D

So it's not as simple as connecting to the "video" trace on the expansion port? Looked at the schematic online earlier, but beyoind tracing things back to IC's I don't have any other ideas. Vocational Electronics was a looong time ago... :D

I think the video line on the Astrocade is actually luma (essentially monochrome composite) so that wouldn't work.

Before you take the plunge, know that these are the depths to which Astrocade ownership can take you! Yes, that's a USB fan on the left pointed at the Custom Data IC (the one that overheats and kills the system). It's attached to a USB port on a laptop cooler below (not pictured). So, the RF shield is gone, and I even lifted the keypad out of the assembly to improve circulation around the IC.

I've owned ten Astrocades, and only three are what I would describe as mostly or fully working -- meaning that I can play for about a half-hour straight without any glitching. The good news is that this weird setup has been working. Once you watch a previously-good Astrocade go bad, you'll do anything.

post-30018-0-36599100-1379341978_thumb.jpg