IGNORED

ColecoVision Mockups War!

retroillucid

I don't see a godd alternative: It is a FPS, with 3D graphics and I want to keep the Doom atmosphere. If the ColecoVision had a few more colors, especially shades of gray, and a few graish colors, I might be able to do with less colorful walls.

Philipp

What i meant to say is if you're going monochrome, you could still have alot of details

The NES one in this video looks interesting. Monochrome or not, dithering is definitely something to consider for Doom on the CV.

The video is a simulation of what the NES video chip could do and not what an actual real world NES system can do. The text description explaining how the original video sequence was processed for the target machine's display architecture isn't on screen for very long.

The video is a simulation of what the NES video chip could do and not what an actual real world NES system can do. The text description explaining how the original video sequence was processed for the target machine's display architecture isn't on screen for very long.

Sure. But we're talking about mockups here, and the dicussion was boaut how to realize the graphics. Other aspects would be a different topic.

Philipp

I realize this is about mockups... but if someone were to try to play the dithered version without knowing where everything was from playing it before they would be totally S.O.L.
As for the speccy "DOOM"... if you aren't going to keep the addictive original tune, don't call it DOOM.

I would also prefer to have dithering than having un-detailed solid colors

I hope you will end up making Doom for CV

Count me as a buyer for sure!

I disagree on that point. :) Personnaly, i hate dithering, and i would prefer un-detailed solid colors and no texturing.

Without trying to replicate excatly DOOM , i'm sure you can manage to do a good fps with a smooth raycaster engine in the same spirit. Put on it a superb soundtrack made in Daniel .... and compense the lake of details on the wall and floor by very nice "sprites".... and you will have a gem !

My two cents for a Doom-like game on the ColecoVision is that I'd rather see flat black and white walls and environments and colorful everything else (enemies, FPS gun perspective, items, etc.). That could still prove atmospheric without being ugly. Think of it kind of like using the flashlight in Doom 3...

Mixing dark colors together will produce macro block on my TV, such as dark green and dark blue will result as a block instead of clear pixel. I do dither the lighter color such as yellow against red, orange against dark red, light green against dark green, yellow against purple. Dither show up better with those. I used dark red arrows in Flight of the Icarus. When fighting the boss on the TV screen, the arrows are invisible due to the dark blue sea swallowing them up.

For Doom for Colecovision. I would go with Multi color mode and use sprites for the enemies and the HUD.

Mixing dark colors together will produce macro block on my TV, such as dark green and dark blue will result as a block instead of clear pixel. I do dither the lighter color such as yellow against red, orange against dark red, light green against dark green, yellow against purple. Dither show up better with those. I used dark red arrows in Flight of the Icarus. When fighting the boss on the TV screen, the arrows are invisible due to the dark blue sea swallowing them up.

For Doom for Colecovision. I would go with Multi color mode and use sprites for the enemies and the HUD.

Multi-color mode, as in the graphic mode used by Smurf Paint & Play Workshop and Cabbage Patch Kids Picture Show? The way the 4x4 "pixels" are structured in VRAM is pretty funky, so good luck making an engine that works well with it. It's entirely possible to do, of course, but I wouldn't do Doom with this, I'd go with something simpler, like a ColecoVision version of Eric Ball's Skeleton+. :)

Multi-color mode, as in the graphic mode used by Smurf Paint & Play Workshop and Cabbage Patch Kids Picture Show? The way the 4x4 "pixels" are structured in VRAM is pretty funky, so good luck making an engine that works well with it. It's entirely possible to do, of course, but I wouldn't do Doom with this, I'd go with something simpler, like a ColecoVision version of Eric Ball's Skeleton+. :)

I might play around with Multicolor mode later on. I've wondered what I can produce with this mode and what the graphic would look like once I get my hands on this mode. I should figure it out and I have the TI-9928A manual to help me understand how to use this graphic mode. It should be doable in C. If not, I have CV assembly to back me up. I think it can hold 8 screens of data in VRAM memory. I'll post the result on the forums when I finally get around learning this mode. It's not going to be a doom raycast game, no. I never done raycast engine before :(.

Eric Ball's Skeleton+, I think full screen 1st person dungeon that is in SMS Phantasy Star should definitely be possible for the Colecovision.

So many things I want to attempt for this system, so little time. :) I love this system :lust:

Right. The whole point of doing SMB on the CV would be to implement smooth horizontal scrolling. :)

Yeah, I remember the mockup you made wich was designed for a smooth scrolling

Lately the Big N decided to taking action against their IPs used in homebrew (C&D letter for Princess Rescue)

I don't think it would be a great idea to make SMB for colecovision, using the original IPs at least...

Edited by retroillucid

Lately the Big N decided to taking action against their IPs used in homebrew (C&D letter for Princess Rescue)

I don't think it would be a great idea to make SMB for colecovision, using the original IPs at least...

With that being said... What are the chances of Opcode's Donkey Kong Arcade being released? Does not look good, oh well.