IGNORED

ColecoVision Mockups War!

retroillucid

I am not entirely sure if this is doable, using mode 2 to have two colours per row rather than two colours per 8x8 square. I suppose the graphics could be separated enough to allow for scrolling, and the background mountains may be still as there would be colour clashes trying to scroll those. The player sprite is 23x36 pixels, perhaps it should be shrunk a bit.

At least I think it is easier to "borrow" the intellectual properties from John M. Phillips and Software Projects than big houses like N*. Mr. Phillips already allowed WoS redistribution of his games, which is a good first step in order to obtain rights to port a game.

post-5454-0-76160600-1382995068_thumb.gif

I am not entirely sure if this is doable, using mode 2 to have two colours per row rather than two colours per 8x8 square. I suppose the graphics could be separated enough to allow for scrolling, and the background mountains may be still as there would be colour clashes trying to scroll those. The player sprite is 23x36 pixels, perhaps it should be shrunk a bit.

At least I think it is easier to "borrow" the intellectual properties from John M. Phillips and Software Projects than big houses like N*. Mr. Phillips already allowed WoS redistribution of his games, which is a good first step in order to obtain rights to port a game.

attachicon.gifnutcraka-vdp.gif

Hmmm, too many colors.

Check this manually: 1. Take your image and put it one pixel to left (move 1,0 to 0,0) 2. Check if any 8 pixels has more than two colores.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's more of Bc's Quest for Tires 3

It's an expanded remake of the first one but with alot more stuff

It is very nice. But at first view it seems quite difficult to make it scroll smoothly as the original one. (it is a long time i played it on coleco , but if i remember well it has smooth scroll ? Or may be i mix with the C64 version ).

There's more between those scenes, but I prefer to not show it until the game get released

I just don't want to spoil everything yet ;)

Fantastic! I'm definitely looking forward to it. The first game was one of my favorite games on the Commodore 64 growing up, and I have a significant appreciation for the ColecoVision version. In fact, in my upcoming "Vintage Game Consoles" book we only had room to mention just 10 games worth checking out on the platforms included in the book, and the ColecoVision version of BC's Quest for Tires was one of the 10 for that platform!

• Like 1

Fantastic! I'm definitely looking forward to it. The first game was one of my favorite games on the Commodore 64 growing up, and I have a significant appreciation for the ColecoVision version. In fact, in my upcoming "Vintage Game Consoles" book we only had room to mention just 10 games worth checking out on the platforms included in the book, and the ColecoVision version of BC's Quest for Tires was one of the 10 for that platform!

defintely my very best game of this era!

I love BC Quest and love the cartoons

I want to stay as original as possible by adding new stuff

I think I will call this one, BC's Quest for Tires DX , or maybe BC's Quest for Fire.... Or simply BC's Quest for Tires 3

Definitely not "Quest for Fire" because that what "Quest for Tires" was satirizing. Maybe something as simple as "B.C.'s Quest for Tires Remix"? (though in that case, "DX" is probably best) Whatever you choose, I'm buying!

You're right about Quest for Fire ... it may not be appropriate

I really like DX actually :)

Now, I would like to get the liscence from the IP owner

Someone know who own IP's for BC's Quest ?

I typically don't say this, but in this case, I think I'd avoid going after official licensing. John Hart Studios would be almost impossible to get a license from at a reasonable cost. Then you have the actual code, which was ported by Sydney through a Sierra publishing license. Yuck.

I typically don't say this, but in this case, I think I'd avoid going after official licensing. John Hart Studios would be almost impossible to get a license from at a reasonable cost. Then you have the actual code, which was ported by Sydney through a Sierra publishing license. Yuck.

Uhmm.... Really?

That would suck, i mean everybody knows there is no cash to make out of homebrews

Even Atari realized that when they first talk about the Pong boxset with me

And the thing is I'm now trying to get liscences for games like that

I don't think Sierra would have a word to say about that since the game is completely redone from scratch

Uhmm.... Really?

That would suck, i mean everybody knows there is no cash to make out of homebrews

Even Atari realized that when they first talk about the Pong boxset with me

And the thing is I'm now trying to get liscences for games like that

I don't think Sierra would have a word to say about that since the game is completely redone from scratch

Well, if it's new code, you can try to contact John Hart Studios, which is all you'd have to worry about then. I don't know how progressive they are, though, but certainly it's worth a shot.

• Like 1