5-11under

• 2 weeks later...

1: Neither, I'd prefer RGB

2: Nope

3: Don't really care

4: Both inputs

5: Regular switches

6: It'd be nice to have something to drop into a standard CV case

7: Surface mount for stuff like logic ICs and the supporting circuitry, but keep things through-hole for the main ICs

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I hope it is not too late to join the party, is it? :)

Hoping it is not here is my take:

1. YPbPr/component or F18A doesn't make much difference to me
  2. Atari module compatibility is not much of interest for me, I have a 7800 and a 5200 hooked up 24/7, so I play the 2600 games on my 7800.
  3. For Roller controller power I say "yes please", always good to have all the hardware available...
  4. If the cost is small (like $10-$15) then Coleco+Sega controller, if more than $15 I say Standard only works for me.
  5. Plug-n-play power and reset switches (similar to standard)
  6. Agreeing with jwats01 and some others. Less expensive works better for me.
  7. Surface mount please.

Thanks!

Then I'll have a new ColecoVison for ME ;) ... at some point I'll need to know what YOU need/want in such a board...

1. YPbPr/component or F18A?
  2. Atari module compatibility or not?
  3. Roller controller power (would require soldering the 4-pin standard power connector to the board - as an output, not an input) or not? (BTW, board uses 5V barrel connector as power input).
  4. Coleco controller (2 standard inputs) or Coleco+Sega controller (2 standard inputs plus 2 Sega inputs)?
  5. Plug-n-play power and reset switches (similar to standard) or custom power and reset switches (someone would have to solder and fit these like a few people have done)?
  6. Standard ColecoVision case or something smaller and likely generic?
  7. Surface mount or mostly-soldered-in through-hole parts or fully-IC-socketed through-hole components? (input 74'541 ICs will be socketed through-hole in any case).

I guess I'd be interested in whatever I could get (depending on the price), but given my 'druthers:

1. Whichever's cheaper

2. Preferably, yes

3. It would be nice to have the option to use a Roller Controller, but probably not at the expense of cannibalizing an existing Coleco

4. Coleco

5. Plug-n-play

6. Either; a drop-in replacement for a Coleco and a whole "new" console are equally appealing

7. Whichever's cheaper, I guess

In my opinion, if it's going to be a true drop-in board for an existing Coleco system, it should have ExpMod#1 and Roller Controller compatibility. If it's going to go in its own smaller case, that stuff can be dropped--it would be like a better DINA only without SG1000 support! :-D Either way, I'd leave out the Sega control ports; it would keep the cost down, and we all have Coleco controllers anyway. Or alternately, if going for a new case design, just have Sega ports and integrate [membrane/flex circuit?] keypads that could be fed through and attached to the new case (although that kind of flies against keeping costs down...).

[/$0.02]

:)

Edited by BassGuitari

• 1 month later...

Another vaporware update:

The board arrived, and I assembled it. The biggest change I made for this version was to get the expansion port working. It now works with the SGM! I also updated the circuitry for the SRAM for the Video Display Processor, and that's working, too. I fixed up the Sega controller inputs a bit, and that works, although it's not compatible with all the games (because when you press a direction button, a number on the keypad is also enabled - so sometimes the game pauses or does other weird stuff - the standard controller seems fine).

There's a number of other things that still need to be tested... I forgot to order a chip, so for the YPbPr/component output, I've only tested the Y. I also still need to test the roller controller, steering controller, super action controller, the Atari module (I think it might need -5V and/or +12V which I haven't tried yet), and F18A. I also need to install it into a ColecoVision shell, to see how that all works (especially the power and reset buttons).

Then I'll have a new ColecoVison for ME ;) ... at some point I'll need to know what YOU need/want in such a board...

1. YPbPr/component or F18A?
  2. Atari module compatibility or not?
  3. Roller controller power (would require soldering the 4-pin standard power connector to the board - as an output, not an input) or not? (BTW, board uses 5V barrel connector as power input).
  4. Coleco controller (2 standard inputs) or Coleco+Sega controller (2 standard inputs plus 2 Sega inputs)?
  5. Plug-n-play power and reset switches (similar to standard) or custom power and reset switches (someone would have to solder and fit these like a few people have done)?
  6. Standard ColecoVision case or something smaller and likely generic?
  7. Surface mount or mostly-soldered-in through-hole parts or fully-IC-socketed through-hole components? (input 74'541 ICs will be socketed through-hole in any case).

Most of these choices would be options, but some I may just get rid of, if nobody wants them. Assume for now that most options would cost a bit of money, but not too much.

1. Either, better than composite makes me happy.

2. No

3. Yes

4. Coleco only, I have adapters for the Segas

5. Needs better, more robust switches

6. Standard, if it is replacing my old board, since I already have the case.

7. Whatever is cheapest, as long as I don't have to solder anything to install it, like with those joystick kits.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

1. Prefer RGB (not one of the options,) then YPbPr, then Composite in ideal order

No Atari

No Roller controller power, easy enough to DIY if necessary.

Coleco controller only

Plug-n-play power and reset switches

I will reuse my ColecoVision case

Everything socketed for future repairs after we're all dead. I would pay extra for this.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I think I know the answer, but is this project completely dead? I do think that there could still be some demand for a drop-in replacement CV board despite the Phoenix.

I'll start the Indiegogo campaign as soon as I can get everything to fit inside the SNEZ case. ;)

Not completely dead, just really dusty. Been busy with other things. I'll get on it as time permits, but that won't be anytime too soon.

I'll start the Indiegogo campaign as soon as I can get everything to fit inside the SNEZ case. ;)

Not completely dead, just really dusty. Been busy with other things. I'll get on it as time permits, but that won't be anytime too soon.

Thanks for the laugh - I needed that :)

Well, good to know that it's just dusty. Looking forward to when you get a chance to blow that dust off.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to pimp out my own repo, but I've been collecting various documents centered around the TMS9918 chip and it's family.  Which includes the SRAM replacement schematic.

https://github.com/cbmeeks/TMS9918

If there is anything to add to it, I would be grateful.  ?

Edited by cbmeeks

• 11 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 1:37 PM, 5-11under said:

I would love to get a drop in replacement board if they ever came available. I have managed to fix a few different consoles over the years but my colecovision is kicking my butt since I am fairly new to electronic troubleshooting at the component level.  I can solder anything but knowing what needs to be replaced is my problem.