IGNORED

ColecoVision 1.2 - replacement PCB, added features

5-11under

Best of luck with this project my friend.

I have a CV (complete in box) with a broken power supply and dead motherboard. :(

The thought of being able to bring it back from the dead with mostly new components is awesome.

I'm looking forward to the stage where you are ready to accept pre-orders. :)

Been reading this a little and hope that the project goes well and would be interesting in one when it comes out, depending price of course. I just got word from Yukie that he fixed and a/v moded one of my 2 systems and I'm thinking that the other might be a good one for this board when it comes out. Then I would have 2 systems in working order and 1 of them that would not need that mammoth thing that they call a power supply. who thought that thing was a good idea?

Time for a quick update. Earlier in the year, I assembled the prototype PCB from December '13, but unfortunately it doesn't work too well (yet). The data lines aren't behaving as they should, so I need to figure out whether it's noise or loading or something else. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll find a bit of time to investigate further.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any further news 5-11under?

I've designed a new bare-bones PCB, that hopefully will be easier to troubleshoot (or hopefully will work just fine). I'm hoping to get a prototype made sometime over the next couple of months, when I have a number of other PCBs ready to be made.

• Like 3

I've designed a new bare-bones PCB, that hopefully will be easier to troubleshoot (or hopefully will work just fine). I'm hoping to get a prototype made sometime over the next couple of months, when I have a number of other PCBs ready to be made.

Thanks for the update and good luck!

• 2 months later...

As mentioned in another thread, I have a 4th prototype of this being produced, which should arrive within a week:

post-3127-0-61993900-1421698944_thumb.png

This is very much scaled back from the 3rd version from about a year ago. The goal for this one is to get something working reliably. If it does work, it'll basically has the same functionality as a standard ColecoVision (no onboard video yet, and only uses/provides +5V).

• Like 5

As mentioned in another thread, I have a 4th prototype of this being produced, which should arrive within a week:

attachicon.gifCV1.2-4.png

This is very much scaled back from the 3rd version from about a year ago. The goal for this one is to get something working reliably. If it does work, it'll basically has the same functionality as a standard ColecoVision (no onboard video yet, and only uses/provides +5V).

Awesome! Might be a better idea and maybe cheaper too.

I'm fully in support of this and will buy 2 minimum.

I was just wondering if some kind of go between with the sega master system would make sense.

it will already run sg-1000 roms enmodified. Has very similar tech, z80 at 3.58 mhz, The same screen resolution and I assume(though I don't know) backwards compatibility with the graphic chip since the sg-1000 works and the same sound chip.

As I understand the main problem with colecovision to sg1000 or sms is a heavy reliance on the coleco bios routines. With the added memory of the sms could not a hacked bios be implemented and run coleco roms?

Almost like a shell that then loads the coleco rom.

Anyways keep up the pcb making and feel free to ignore my ramblings.

attachicon.gifCV1.2-4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past few days I've spent a bit of time populating the latest prototype PCB (which arrived early in the week). Unfortunately, it exhibited the same problem as the previous more complicated version. After a couple of hours I discovered the problem, and now it's working, at least a fair portion of it. I haven't tested it with the video chip (with SRAM) yet, only with an F18A. The video chip worked in previous versions, though. The controllers are also a bit wonky, giving improper results. I'll have to double-check the schematic and the parts that are installed.

post-3127-0-54843300-1422654867_thumb.png

So, now that things are going fairly well, here's the big question...

What video output(s) should this have? I'm not sure how many outputs it might have, so I guess just tell me what you want or need for now. Options include:

- RF (ain't gonna happen)

- Composite (basically the same as a modded CV) (complicated

- Component/YPbPr (similar to my mod kit, but hopefully with blacker blacks and maybe a bit easier to set up)

There will also hopefully be some more advanced outputs that take the analog outputs from the TMS9928A video chip, bring that video back to the digital domain (by capturing/differentiating all ~16 colors), and outputting appropriately (output latency should be essentially zero compared with the original CV). These are untested so far, but might include:

- Component/YPbPr

- RGB

- VGA

- DVI/HDMI (more complicated)

The cheapest options are Component/YPbPr (analog) and the digital versions (besides DVI/HDMI).

Either that, or I'll just go with the F18A digitally created VGA output (replaces TMS9928A chip in case you didn't know). That costs $78 right now.

Also, is there any interest in a board that fits the Flashback, or is that just me who wants that?

Edited by 5-11under
  • Like 2

Either that, or I'll just go with the F18A digitally created VGA output (replaces TMS9928A chip in case you didn't know). That costs $78 right now.

Also, is there any interest in a board that fits the Flashback, or is that just me who wants that?

Whether to use the F18A I guess would depend on what it does to the final total cost of the board and what people are willing to pay.

I like the idea of there being a Flashback compatible one, but is it worth your effort?

I'm probably confusing several threads but after this is stable, it would be nice to have built in SGM.

Whether to use the F18A I guess would depend on what it does to the final total cost of the board and what people are willing to pay.

I like the idea of there being a Flashback compatible one, but is it worth your effort?

I'm probably confusing several threads but after this is stable, it would be nice to have built in SGM.

The F18A is $78 right now. I'm not sure how much of a "rebate" this would give for the CV1.2 PCB exactly, but there are a number of components that wouldn't be required in this case. I'll probably have F18A as an option, just because it's so easy.

A different form factor, such as for Flashback isn't too big of a deal. One advantage is a smaller PCB, so less cost there. You'd also have to use original controllers, unless... .

SGM compatibility would be nice, definitely. Maybe I could get rid of the expansion port, then... .

• Like 2