IGNORED

New Game: Assembloids 2600

enthusi

Bravo! This is a great concept and great looking game! I would buy it in cart form. As a suggestion, (I know nothing about programming, so I don't know if it will fit), in addition to faces, how about characters from other 2600 games, like Frogger, Pac-Man, Yar, Space Invader aliens, etc.

Known game heroes as "faces" is indeed a funny idea :)

About a new thread in the more general homebrew forum: should I just link to this thread there or basically 'copy' this one?

Quite frankly I mostly just check the 2600-specific section myself, so I am not too familiar with the proper way how to deal with that :)

• 3 weeks later...

Here is some (again silent) video material of the as-good-as-final version:

The lack of sound is just due to my way of recording this. There ARE (simple) sounds in the game by now :)

Featuring now 8+1 faces/figures by ptoing. Revealed every 1000 points :)

8 different speed-up settings with setting 0 as "kid ONLY mode" *g* with no speed increase at all...

Please note the smooth timer bar now :)

PS: shown here is the NTSC version

PPS: had to post at PI time ;-)

Edited by enthusi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There are some pics that Albert took including Assembloids2600 from the Portland Retro Gaming Expo (PRGE): http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217449-photos-of-the-atariage-booth-at-prge-2013/

I hope do have some video footage including audio ready later today ;-)

Meanwhile I managed to squeeze out some more 20 bytes with an approach

described well in Thomas' blog here: http://atariage.com/forums/blog/144/entry-10014-optimize-data-overlapping/

I used it before in c64 related software but I never went for a full analysis and just arranged by eye or simple checks.

However, I wrote an own tool to find the best sort for all 11 live counter digits with maximum overlap.

11! ~ 39 Millioen possible combinations ;-)

If you are interested, the optimal solution (one of them) is here:

http://pastebin.de/36550

Edited by enthusi
  • Like 1

it was much more fun though ;-)

much beyond 12 is kinda out of reach for this approach anyway as you know.

However, Im quite satisfied with the posted result (you could get those free bytes simpler elsewhere probably still :).

If you want I can post the unsorted data and you can give it a try by eye? :)

I should have made it a challenge, damn.

PS:

here is the video (very low volume - sorry):

I will need a brighter green in the game ;-)

Edited by enthusi

Nah, DOOD will try for me. :)

BTW: I suppose you are already using reflection?

Yeah :) Otherwise I woudnt fit in 9 faces there. I started out with asymmetric gfx but now its just in there to allow for the 'game over' message at the end which I quite like (naturally twice the size of a 'face' now).

Ok, this time a proper video via capture card from a real PAL Atari 2600 junior including audio and the new attract mode, slightly modified colors and

some game play:

This is basically the final version I think :)

I recorded the PAL version. The NTSC version looks pretty identical and used different values for the timer-speed(up), so they should be pretty comparable in gameplay and scoring.

After a couple of seconds, it enters the 'Attract mode' with automatic gameplay, it loops back to title and I play a couple of tiles including a 'board clear'.

Every 1000 points a new gfx is introduced (final version might change that to 2000 pts actually :).

The timer decreases faster and faster but is restored to slower speeds on any lost life as demonstrated at the end of the video.

It will be available at atariage.com at some point.

Enjoy :)

Edited by enthusi
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dr Manhattan ;-)

Yes, it will get on cart.

Im having serious trouble to contact Albert in a successful way but meanwhile the game is complete ;-)

There will probably be a prototype presented at the Sillyventure party and I consider making a playable demo available as well.

So Albert if you read this, read my messages :)

Hi Dr Manhattan ;-)

Yes, it will get on cart.

Im having serious trouble to contact Albert in a successful way but meanwhile the game is complete ;-)

There will probably be a prototype presented at the Sillyventure party and I consider making a playable demo available as well.

So Albert if you read this, read my messages :)

I will hunt your message down--I have a large backlog of PMs at the moment!

..Al