IGNORED

Battlezone vs. Robot Tank

VectorGamer

93 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Battlezone
    • Robot Tank

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Last night I fired up Robot Tank and have to say that I think this cartridge kicks Battlezone's ass.

What I always hated about Battlezone is you had to wait until your shot hits something before you could get another shot off. And that downright sucks if you miss because you're going to be toast from the return fire. For this reason alone makes Robot Tank a better game.

Sure Battlezone has different enemies, but Robot Tank gives you fog, nighttime, locusts and raining frogs...

In the early-1990s, the Woolco chain folded in Canada. The last remaining store in Halifax still had some 2600 games in stock -- including Robot Tank -- for very cheap prices.

I had never heard of this game before, but I was very impressed with it, especially the day-night cycle and the weather. I especially like how it is possible for the tank to take damage, but remain (semi-)functional. Playing "blind" without functioning radar or a view screen is a real challenge!

I voted for Robot Tank, but one has to remember Battlezone was restricted to having to mimic an Arcade concept - Robot Tank programmer was free to do whatever he wanted gameplay wise.

If Battlezone had day/night/fog and damage one would say "This is not Battlezone" so I think you need to take that into account.

• Like 1

It's a tough call, Sometimes I like Battlezone and other times I like Robot Tank.

One day my gramma said that there was some kind of new game out, and that everybody was talking about it. I don't recall if it was Robot Tank or LaserBlast she was referring to. I personally hated LaserBlast though. It was like, so, smile-tchh, flip-your-hand, gay!

Edited by Keatah

Although 2600 Battlezone is initially impressive, I'd choose Robot Tank. I've never really understood how to beat all the squadrons in RT though. Once I get damaged, or stuck in the rain (move slow), I die. I can't remember , but does your damaged tank get fixed once a day passes, or are you stuck damaged until you do die?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I voted Battlezone,

It offers better realistic and strategic gameplay, and after playing... it has a less predictable outcome.

Robot Tank is great and more exciting at times,.. but I feel the Tanks attack the same way, and the scoring system bores me, I can reach a score of 70, and never go any further. I like the weather changes, but the gameplay suffers in the elements (I end up skipping them), but day and night are fun.

• Like 1

Although 2600 Battlezone is initially impressive, I'd choose Robot Tank. I've never really understood how to beat all the squadrons in RT though. Once I get damaged, or stuck in the rain (move slow), I die. I can't remember , but does your damaged tank get fixed once a day passes, or are you stuck damaged until you do die?

STUCK DAMAGED...

Robot Tank. Besides the fact that Activision made among the very best games for the 2600, Robot Tank had so much more to it. The changes in weather patterns, the switch between day and night, the varying degrees of damage you could sustain ... there is so much more depth than Battlezone.