IGNORED

Interest Check: Reproduction Activision Cart Labels

pboland

I first posted about this topic here: reproduction / custom labels, but I thought it would be better severed in this area as its own topic.

I'm thinking of making reproduction labels for Activision 2600 games. It would only be for the common titles at this time. These labels would be more than just scans of the originals. These would be recreated from scratch. I will use actual screen shots of the games instead of the stylized game screen pictures used on the originals. This would be done so the new labels can be distinguished from the originals more easily. I think this is a good way to mark the new labels and still keep with the feel of the originals. Let me know what you guys think. If need be, (based on your comments) I can put a line of text in the small print of the cart that states it is a reproduction. Here's my first sample:

post-9874-0-17092700-1379423801_thumb.jpg

A little background (shameless plug :) ):

I've made labels and overlays for a couple classic game publishers and here are a couple links to topics of some of the work I've done:

ColecoVision Mr. DO! Poster & Maybe More...

Colecovision Labels Thread

(Intellivision) Interest Check: Reproduction Controller Overlays

Interest Check for Reproduction Cart Labels

ColecoVision Overlays Available (Reproduction)

I'm currently working on an Intellivision project which includes both cart labels and overlays:

Sears TELE-GAMES INTV (new) Overlay set

• Like 1

I'm good with it as is and I think some of the most commons would be a good place to start. Pit Fall, River Raid, etc..

I don't think the text stating it's a repro is needed as they are commons (not valuable enough for fraud) and distinguishable by the art anyway. Then again I'm not concerned with it too much anyway.

Another thing to consider (and you won't have to worry about the need for the "reproduction" line since you can't RE-produce something that was never produced) would be labels - with made-up names - for the two unknown prototypes. Do I have suggestions for the names? No, but I estimate there are those in the community who do.

Anyone?

...This is certainly a viable alternative to the actiplaque laden labels I see all the time.

They look good!

This is the main reason I decide to start putting these reproduction labels together. Couple people seem interested, though I was hopping for a greater response, I think I will continue with this project as time permits. Thanks guys for your support. I'll post more images as I get more of them completed.

On first glance, it looks like the typography of yours is slightly different than that of the originals. Is that the case?

I'm interested, provided the typography is a little closer to the original. I have no problem with some kind of small repro mark.

Which text do you guys have issue with? The title, the small print, All of it. To be honest, I don't like trying to make labels look 100% exactly like the originals. I have updated the smaller text to a font the looks about 99% of the original. I'm not 100% sure what the text fonts of the original is. I can only guess and the websites I've used to help analyze a picture of these labels does not bring back very close results.

I should be posting my first six labels here soon. Then you guys can see the updated small text.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea Phil. I don't know if you would be interested at all but it sounds clever to me in my sleep deprived state. You should buy a bunch of Activision commons with the worst labels possible and sell them in the market here and on Ebay as "restored" versions. I'd buy some and I imagine many people would.

Just a thought, maybe I'm crazy, who knows.

As with everything you've created, these too look great and I'd definitely be in for a set (after I get my Sears overlay set of course) :)

Steverd's idea about the poster is cool too.

Sears overlays are coming.

I agree, the Steverd's idea about the poster sounds great. Now I just have to get more of these labels finished.