IGNORED

5200 in FPGA?

foft

When you say not very well ... any more details? How does it look on Pete's test?

Well, I tried the Pete's Test. When it starts it changes the screen color then the screen starts jumping and becomes unstable, like it's trying to switch screens. When I remove the USB joystick, the screen stops jumping and stays at some gradient screen. I think because the button is stuck on always ON, it activates some tests.

So I wonder if the hid descriptor for the adaptor is bad or if the hid parser is bad... Can you send me the hid descriptor?

Edit: I can not really get into debugging every stick but if the descriptor is valid I'll fix the parser.

Edit2: I was using this (http://desowin.org/usbpcap/) to capture usb packets then wire shark to decode.

Edited by foft

Thanks - I'll have a look. Probably be a few weeks... Do you have a link to the adapters?

One of them is similar to this one: http://www.amazon.com/CONTROLLER-ADAPTER-CONVERTER-80001-Playstation-2/dp/B000SPA46M

The PS3 is this one (very hard to find): http://www.slashgear.com/new-usb-adapter-may-let-you-play-guitar-hero-on-your-ps3-085111/

• 3 weeks later...

I've doubled checked other dumps of the ones you say failed. Yep, they do! Thanks.

I also ran up a bunch of other roms to see... quite a few failing seem to be conversions from the XL. I expect they are still reading the original XL hardware registers and I'm not behaving as the 5200 does in this unmapped space. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the 5200 has a floating data bus, with no pull-ups or pull-downs. When nothing else drives the bus I use 0x00 or 0xff (I forget which offhand).

P.S. Wizard of Wor works fine with the 2nd stick on the mist at least. Is it just failing on the MCC for you?

Edited by foft

I can't get WOW to work on the MCC-216 with either joystick and my MIST isn't hooked up at the moment so I can go back to test it.

Edit more testing:

On the MCC-216 I can only play if I select 2 player game and can only control player #2 with the USB joystick. Can't control either player if using DB9 joysticks.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

@NML32- not that I remember! Uh oh...

@Destinaxe - The DE0 looks very similar to the DE1 except newer cyclone with some more block ram and no sram. So looks suitable. I suggest porting it from the DE1 first. Then we can get some 5200 carts running - I'd better buy some! There is a component that handles cart timing in the 800xl core that could be reused. Email/pm me for pointers and later svn write access.

• 9 months later...

@foft, There seems to be an issue running Pac-man Arcade for the 5200 on your core. The screen after the Atari Symbol is blank until you press start. I think it's the Pac-man Arcade Title screen that is causing the issue I tried the bin on both the MCC-216 and Mist and both have the same blank screen.

Link to Pac-man Arcade Bin

• 4 weeks later...