IGNORED

something new... GTIABlast! 5200 WIP for Ultimate SD cart

playsoft

• 4 months later...

It has been tested as much as it can be. Paul has done the final testing - and it seems to be fine, as expected.

I don't have a 5200 (nor Atarimax 5200 Ultimate SD cartridge) and it cannot be tested under emulation.

This is provided as a free game - and is not to be commercially sold.

No bugs are expected to be present. It has evolved a lot since the last public demo of it.

Harvey

The A8 version is going through it's final testing now - and it is hopeful it will be released in a few days time - and the 1088K version will follow some time after that.

Those playing the 5200 version now - can release a video of it running, as I don't have a means to do that.

For those keen to get a hold of this game and don't have the Atarimax cart (5200 Ultimate SD - or Atarimax 8mbit cart) - and are very keen to play this game - can ask the usual sources for the availability of it.

That anyone can make this game available to others to play - as long as they are not charging for the game itself - but are paying for the Atarimax cartridge.

Instructions are provided in the file - which the collector can print out.

Harvey

• Like 1

The A8 version is going through it's final testing now - and it is hopeful it will be released in a few days time - and the 1088K version will follow some time after that.

Those playing the 5200 version now - can release a video of it running, as I don't have a means to do that.

For those keen to get a hold of this game and don't have the Atarimax cart (5200 Ultimate SD - or Atarimax 8mbit cart) - and are very keen to play this game - can ask the usual sources for the availability of it.

That anyone can make this game available to others to play - as long as they are not charging for the game itself - but are paying for the Atarimax cartridge.

Instructions are provided in the file - which the collector can print out.

Harvey

Thank you so much! Great of you to do all this hard work!!!

atariblast-final-demo-01A.zip

atariblast-final-01B.zip

Here is the default demo from AtariBLAST! that shows only the

first part of each level as a video file as a grand tour.

They're in 2 zip files (only 50meg is permitted uploading per file) - which you can unzip using any unzipper,

or use 7-zip which is free.

You can re-join them using any video joiner program.

The 5200 version only runs off the original hardware with the

5200 Ultimate SD cartridge. It can't run via emulation.

The A8 version isn't far away at all - which can run via

8mbit flashcart or via emulation.

• Like 1

Sorry about the problem with the video files.

I wrongly made the assumption that 7-zip uses a standard zip format which is WinZip compatible. Apparently it isn't. If you find and download 7-zip you should be able to unzip the files alright. I did rename the .7z files to .zip but did not check that winzip would unzip them, which it doesn't.

The 8-bit cart version is posted in the Atari 8-bit computers forum which should download and run fine - whether running on the original hardware (8mbit flashcart required) or via emulation.

I would recommend playing it on the original hardware first - if you have that option available to you. But via emulation you can play it on a large screen modern TV. And playing it in a dark room should make the playing experience more enjoyable.

Harvey

AB-video-Part01.zip

AB-video-Part02.zip

Here is the video again - using WinZip this time.

Split into 3 files as WinZip doesn't compress as much as 7-zip does.

The idea of posting a video here in this format - is that it's most likely to be of a higher quality than on Youtube because it remains as per the original file.

I tried posting it on Youtube - but there was so much quality loss present, I deleted it - but will try again.

For some reason the third file was rejected - although it was much like the first two... This file contains a preview of the last 4 levels.

Video is at Youtube

Had to not show the game title screen and level name titles - as Youtube would render these very poorly.

I have forgotten the difference between the 5200 and other versions.

There were to be some? levels to be dropped out - but I think this was changed.

This demo video is from the 8-bit version thereof.

Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 6

So the game is done, scoring and collision detection now work? Wow! This is amazing. I'm going to give this a try when I get home. Would be great to see a video of the final working version with scoring and other functions working properly. Nice job. From the demo you could tell this was both a technical challenge and a labor of love.

Man O Man is this game fun! I followed the instructions and loaded it onto my Atarimax Ultimate SD cart with no trouble.

Only played 2 games, but reached the Scramble level and scored 33,380. Really like the pace of the gameplay, background music and level designs. I did not get a chance to test the Code functionality, but will try that next time.

Thanks for making the game. :)

post-21941-0-26757600-1473376145_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Video is at Youtube

Had to not show the game title screen and level name titles - as Youtube would render these very poorly.

I have forgotten the difference between the 5200 and other versions.

There were to be some? levels to be dropped out - but I think this was changed.

This demo video is from the 8-bit version thereof.

This is some of the best artwork, and ANTIC/GTIA magic that I've _EVER_ seen on the 8-bits...holy crap! And I love all the various stages that are homages to other games (the Zaxxon and Xevious backgrounds were _WONDERFUL_)

-Thom

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. This is truly amazing. I can't believe how much is going on in this game. Well done! Are there ways to use some of the code you developed for this in other types of games, such as a vertical driving game or a side-scrolling/vertical scrolling adventure? Thank you for doing this. I can only imagine the reaction of kids if they saw this back in the 80s. My 14 year old was even impressed and confused with everything going on at the same time. Frenetic, but fun.

• Like 2

Are there ways to use some of the code you developed for this in other types of games, such as a vertical driving game or a side-scrolling/vertical scrolling adventure?

I am sure a lot of the code can be reused. It already contains some recycled code - the static display/sound for the level titles comes from one of my old A8 magazine games from 1986.

The sprite multiplexer lends itself more to vertical games than horizontal ones, although I never explored single coloured sprites. Having spent a long time on this doing something different appeals more to me now, but in the future I'll probably want to try and do something else with it.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifatariblast-final-demo-01A.zip

attachicon.gifatariblast-final-01B.zip

Here is the default demo from AtariBLAST! that shows only the

first part of each level as a video file as a grand tour.

They're in 2 zip files (only 50meg is permitted uploading per file) - which you can unzip using any unzipper,

or use 7-zip which is free.

You can re-join them using any video joiner program.

The 5200 version only runs off the original hardware with the

5200 Ultimate SD cartridge. It can't run via emulation.

The A8 version isn't far away at all - which can run via

8mbit flashcart or via emulation.

Incredible work!

• Like 1