IGNORED

RETRO: The Multi-Format, Throw-Back Magazine - KICKSTARTER

I have to agree with some others here I haven't really been all that impressed, it's a very well done magazine don't get me wrong. I kickstarted the first year so I'm a dedicated backer and also subscribed to it for the second year. I found that there's way too much post 1985 (Nintendo etc) coverage and I'm not that big of a fan of the cover artwork (or faded font I can hardly read). I kind of prefer the UK's magazine cover's, truly Retro:

rg_132-web.jpg

The other thing is the magazine is almost like holding a guide to collecting video games book. Way too much coverage on collecting IMO , it felt like a quarter of issue #4 was: collecting, someone's collection or collecting "game series X". The rarity report is fine but I can find much of this stuff on my own.

Anyway, I don't know...I would say the first year is more on the disappointing side. The guys in the UK STILL get my vote as much as I desperately want this US based magazine to stick around.

Looking forward to year two and I'm hopeful otherwise I may not stick around for year three.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got it!

I see some things here that move toward what I would consider a bit more "balance" from an older retro gaming perspective. The box art article is especially interesting (thanks Parrothead), and I appreciate the two pages on MULE as well as the exposure given to the Flashbacks. I hope that At Games knows just how hard Bill has worked to evangelize those among the retro gaming community.

Here is a sort of revelation that came to me while reading this issue: one of the great things about discussing retro gaming on forums is when there is a disagreement in opinions. The mag is not trying to be a forum, but I think it could capture some of the back and forth nature of discussion we get on forum sites and in podcast discussions that "roundup" the best and worst of specific themes. I think I would squirm less when reading love letters to Dragon Warrior if I knew there was some balance of opinion during the creation of the articles. What if the magazine came out and gave second opinions about various articles? They would only need to be a few sentences to simply add another dimension to the individual articles or top lists.

It is now very clear to me that there are different eras of retro gaming represented in the public. Perhaps RETRO could break ground by identifying those eras and then offer opinions from the point of view of that era's typical gamer. Maybe (right now) there are 4 or 5 perspectives like Pinball/Arcade guy, Atari era (ahem . . . Age) fella, NES dude, CDRom lover, and everything since. If you could shine a light on the fact that some eras of gaming are not alike then maybe I wouldn't feel like you are leaving my perspective out of like 80% of the articles in the mag. I mean come on . . . the C64 was not a figment of my imagination. It was real, I swear it!

Here is some positive feedback. I LIKE when you teach me something. I do a lot of mod and repair, but I've never bothered to buy a "Spudger." I'll be looking that one up now. I really liked the ALG article because I didn't know much about those. You managed to tell me about a bunch of homebrews that I hadn't heard of in Homebrew Heaven, and reading about Trip World introduced me to a game that I didn't already know about. That balance of not mainstream and yet not too obscure is probably a sweet spot where the magazine can deliver something that I won't seek out on my own.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

How is everyone enjoying RETRO #6? If you have yet to read any of our issues you can order our digital back issues with ease and download them immediately on our new shopping site - http://www.shopreadretro.com

To get $1 the digital issue of RETRO #6 (making it only $2) , our latest issue with lots of Atari goodness, use the promo code pointandclick at http://shopreadretro.com/products/retro-videogame-magazine-issue-6

While you are there you might be also interested in this video game character poster made especially by one of our great illustrators. Check it out here and see if you can spot all the game characters!

http://shopreadretro.com/products/retro-characters-poster

Edited by Parrothead

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
wongojack, on 16 Sept 2016 - 8:32 PM, said:

Will there ever be another issue? I've enjoyed each issue in the second cycle more and more. However, with no updates on the website, I'm beginning to think there will never be another one. :(

There's supposed to be a Issue 12, but no word on that yet. Since I KS'd this I'm interested in getting this for the sake of the money paid out for it, but don't think I'll ever actually read it. ;)

As for beyond that....MK wants to continue the mag, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello RETRO backers. I'm so glad that you guys started and helped fund this great magazine. I discovered it at a local mom n pop video game store in Las Vegas a few months ago. I bought the first five issues of the ones they had to try it out. I really like it! Very high quality production with good articles and artwork. I'd say it compares favorably with Game Informer in terms of being an impressive publication. I only thought I knew a lot about early video games. I've learned a lot from those issues. I hope to see RETRO continue and will pick up new issues wherever I find them.