IGNORED

Season 7 Round 4 - TOMARC The Barbarian

TOMARC The Barbarian

post-5757-0-60707600-1380991522_thumb.png

From the classic tradition of fantasy heroes come TOMARC the Barbarian. Lost in a maze of underground caves TOMARC searches for his lost sword which he can save the lovely SENTA. She is held prisoner in a magical cage in ruins above the caves. You control TOMARC as he searches caverns and avoids deadly rat-like creatures and SENTA as she fights off vampire bats from her prison. Multiscreen action as you control both characters in each scene at the same time! You must listen for the danger sounds from the non-visible screen and quickly rush to the rescue.

Game Information

Game Name: TOMARC The Barbarian
Released by: Xonox, 1984
Original arcade game by: NA
CV HSC High Score: NA
TwinGalaxies High Score: 50,030 by Tom Duncan (Feb 2005)
Settings: NA
This game was suggested by: Northcoastgamer & ed1475

Contest Ends

Saturday, 19 October
at 12:00PM EST

Contest Rules

The HSC rules can be found here

ROM File

TOMARC the Barbarian is a rather rare game and as such I suspect that some players will not have a cartridge. So, for convenience I have provided the game rom file below. Please download the attached and either play on a real CV using a multicart or use your favourite emulator (blueMSX is recommended).

TOMARC The Barbarian (1984)(Xonox).zip

Game Manual

The instructions for the game can be found here:

http://ia801705.us.archive.org/24/items/Tomarc_the_Barbarian_1984_Xonox/Tomarc_the_Barbarian_1984_Xonox.pdf

Final High Scores

1. Northcoastgamer 204,060 [+100] ***Twin Galaxies Challenge Medal Winner***
2. Ikrananka 181,250 [+89]***Twin Galaxies Challenge Medal Winner***
3. nanochess 131,030 [+64]***Twin Galaxies Challenge Medal Winner***
4. CoLethalVision 123,040 [+60]***Twin Galaxies Challenge Medal Winner***
5. ed1475 85,590 [+42]***Twin Galaxies Challenge Medal Winner***
6. Colecovision 25,860 [+13]
7. darthkur 24,410 [+12]
8. roadrunner 17,530 [+9]
9. jblenkle 8,550 [+4]
10. S.BAZ 8,390 [+4]
11. wolfman24 650 [+0]
12. Manoau2002 180 [+0]

Leaderboard (up to end of prior round)

1. Northcoastgamer [200] (2) 2 1
2. CoLethalVision [176] (3)
3. gamecat80 [147] (2) 1 1
4. jblenkle [141] (3)
5. darthkur [138] (3) 1
6. Manoau2002 [109] (3)
7. Colecovision [106] (3)
8. nanochess [79] (3)
9. Ikrananka [74] (3)
9. ed1475 [74] (3) 1
11. SpiceWare [72] (3)
12. Electric Adventures [57] (2)
13. patbb [53] (1)
14. roadrunner [48] (3)
15. wolfman24 [41] (3)
16. Gaztee [33] (3)
17. Liduario [33] (1)
18. DonPedro [24] (1)
19. Darrin9999 [22] (2)

[ ] = Points
( ) = Rounds Played
BLUE = Rounds Won
PURPLE = Twin Galaxies Challenge Medals Won
GOLD = Seasons Won

Read the manual (link provided in the first post) and if you still have questions then just ask. Progress UP the map is critical in the first level to rescue SENTA who is help captive in a magical cage that can only be opened by the sword that you need to find. Progress UP the map is critical and this is achieved through high diagonal jumps. You need to start from just the right spot so that your diaginal jump takes you through the gap in the top of the screen.

Also, note that part in the manual where you switch characters and have SENTA fire at the vampire bats flying above her cage.

Is there any way to kill the rats or are they just to be avoided?

Read the manual (link provided in the first post) and if you still have questions then just ask. Progress UP the map is critical in the first level to rescue SENTA who is help captive in a magical cage that can only be opened by the sword that you need to find. Progress UP the map is critical and this is achieved through high diagonal jumps. You need to start from just the right spot so that your diaginal jump takes you through the gap in the top of the screen.

Also, note that part in the manual where you switch characters and have SENTA fire at the vampire bats flying above her cage.

After reading the manual the game become fun finally :), if the designers have been put a dwarf terrorified by rats in the label it would be more alike to the game :D

My high-score: 50650 :), well, Ikrananka beat me for little, but I suppose my score still earns me a TwinGalaxies point

Hey @manoau2002, go fast (before rats appear) calculate visually your jumps to enter holes, it's a diagonal. Get sword and then go upwards through holes to encounter princess. The map is in the manual, it also gives common locations for sword.

post-30245-0-60094700-1381585745_thumb.jpg

Edited by nanochess

After reading the manual the game become fun finally :), if the designers have been put a dwarf terrorified by rats in the label it would be more alike to the game :D

My high-score: 50650 :), well, Ikrananka beat me for little, but I suppose my score still earns me a TwinGalaxies point

Hey @manoau2002, go fast (before rats appear) calculate visually your jumps to enter holes, it's a diagonal. Get sword and then go upwards through holes to encounter princess. The map is in the manual, it also gives common locations for sword.

Ill take a closer look at the game next week. I have been really busy with work stuff this week. Thanks for the tips.

• Like 1

After reading the manual the game become fun finally :)

To my mind there are too few "levels" to the game and it is far too repetitive and predictable to be fun.

Looks like we both got stuck on the same screen - that jump for the high right-hand exit is a tough one to judge - I lost my last 4 lives on this screen just trying to get to that exit.

To my mind there are too few "levels" to the game and it is far too repetitive and predictable to be fun.

I think that the fun part comes in the latter levels when you're running for the high-score trying to not get touched by the rats.

It's a shame but in the spiders screen, the spiders can get through some points in the web and touch the princess.

Looks like we both got stuck on the same screen - that jump for the high right-hand exit is a tough one to judge - I lost my last 4 lives on this screen just trying to get to that exit.

Wow! I didn't noted it before. :thumbsup: In level three the rats are very fast.

I'm trying to improve my jumping abilities! :)

204,060. Learning where to jump at the proper angles through the sides, top and bottom openings is key. By jumping through any opening and exiting a cave, then jumping back to that same cave, enemies will be gone, giving you time for another try. The sword can be found on any of the 3 cave levels. Once I get the sword I proceed to the middle chamber on level 1, from there it's simply 3 jumps up to Senta. This works well on the faster levels, it's easier to deal with 1 rat than 3. When you hear the sound of the bat approaching Senta, switch screens and let the bat fly directly above Senta, then shoot, you'll get it everytime. Try to get through the spiders web as quickly as possible, switch between screens alot so Senta stays safe.

post-34612-0-13226100-1381846778_thumb.jpg