IGNORED

Pac-Man CE DX+

VectorGamer

I fired up Pac-Man CE DX last night and was notified that there was a software update. The update brought the game up to Pac-Man CE DX+ which has new mazes and new skins that you can buy. You can buy the skins and mazes individually or purchase them as a package.

I remember one maze was called "Mountain" and there was another something along the lines of "Fat Eater."

Anyone perform the upgrade and purchase the new mazes and/or skins or the whole package?

I know I don't have any Microsoft points in my account. I thought it said that the whole package was like 600 points and off the top of my head I don't know how much that costs.

From Wiki...

The update provided improved leaderboard functionality, the ability to challenge friends, medal support and a new skin based on classic Pac-Man, which can be unlocked by getting all achievements and medals.

In addition to this, paid downloadable content was also released, including four new courses (Big Eater, Championship III, Highway II, and Mountain), three new skins (based on Dig Dug, Rally-X and Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures) and two new background music tracks (Pac-Steps and Re-Entrance). This content is available individually at $1.99 apiece, or in the "All You Can Eat Add-on Pack" bundle for a discounted price of $7.99

Also just curious. Where are you currently living? MS did away with the points system months ago. At least here in North America

Also just curious. Where are you currently living? MS did away with the points system months ago. At least here in North America

I just remembered - when I was in Pac-Man CE DX+ last night the prices for the individual mazes and the pack were listed in points. That's why I remembered that the entire package was listed around 600 points.

However, when I went on the Xbox Live web site today, everything was listed in dollars and I couldn't find where to buy points. So, maybe they list the point values on the 360 in the event you have a balance to redeem points. I dunno...but that's what I saw.

Anyone know if this update is a permanent one? Or is this patch that upgrades the game one of those that rests in the Xbox 360's limited cache area?

The reason I ask is that there's not a ton of space in the cache and once in a while, a patch has to redownload for me for an old game since it was pushed out to fit something else. If this is such a patch, I think I'd prefer to future proof things by going with the PS3 release.

Edited by Atariboy

I just remembered - when I was in Pac-Man CE DX+ last night the prices for the individual mazes and the pack were listed in points. That's why I remembered that the entire package was listed around 600 points.

Ah ok, I thought maybe you were in an area that still had points. Yeah many games, if you are in the game itself will still show the point cost! If you click on the button tho, it'll pop up a marketplace window and show the $ equivalent, before the purchase. Let us know how the new DLC is. I was going to buy it, but then I found out all the new achievements were in game only. I'll probably snag it on sale.

Not sure what you're asking Atariboy. If you try and start the game, it just tells you that there is an update available. It takes a couple seconds to update it, and the when it starts up it's Pacman CE DX+. It's permanent and includes improved leaderboard functionality, the ability to challenge friends, in game achievements and medals and a new Classic Pac skin.

There are two types of patches on the Xbox 360.

Many of the smallest rest in the Xbox 360's temporary caching area which has a limited amount of space. As that fills up with data, it pushes the oldest information out. Surely with as many games as you have, you must've reloaded something from years earlier that you've played on your present system and been surprised that it told you that a title update was available. It's likely it wasn't a new patch for such an old game but that the cache deleted what you had previously deleted to make room for new patches and such. And if you've ever cleared your cache to improve performance such as when a Bethesda title starts to have massive slowdown, you experience that since all such patches are deleted when you do this.

Then there are the patches that reside on your hard drive. These are usually more substantial updates and I believe that these actually tie themselves to your game save. The only way these get deleted is if you intentionally delete it.

So I was asking what category this update that turns Pac-Man CE DX into Pac-Man CE DX + and readies it for DLC is in. Obviously if it's the former, you could inadvertently be returned to plain Pac-Man CE DX someday when Xbox Live support has concluded. Minor point of course since such a thing is years away, but I just have Pac-Man CE and could just go with the PS3 version if that's the case even though my preference is the 360.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

Edited by Atariboy

Surely with as many games as you have, you must've reloaded something from years earlier that you've played on your present system and been surprised that it told you that a title update was available.

Can't say I've ever been surprised...no, and yes I have a LOT of games.

The games require updates often. Booting up an old game on a newer system pretty much guarantees just that. I just say yes and move on. Guess I've never thought about it and I didn't know any games were permanently altered by patches. I've backed out of DLC patches by just deleting the DLC from the hard drive, and rebooting, I guess that's what I didn't understand. What games are permanently altered by an update?

In any case, this doesn't seem to be a "substantial" update. Hope that helps.

By saying substantial, I don't necessarily mean size. Hopefully with what this one does to the game, it's in the latter category since it's more than just a few bug fixes. Not really entirely sure how to tell short of voluntarily deleting the cache and seeing if it's still Pac-Man CE DX + afterwards.

I have some Xbox Live issues to work out so I can't even go take a look at anyone's played game list right now to see for myself. Does this actually change the title name to Pac-Man CD DX + in the achievements list? I don't think I've ever seen the game title modified after the fact on the Xbox 360.

Edited by Atariboy

I have some Xbox Live issues to work out so I can't even go take a look at anyone's played game list right now to see for myself. Does this actually change the title name to Pac-Man CD DX + in the achievements list? I don't think I've ever seen the game title modified after the fact on the Xbox 360.

No, and it doesn't add any achievements to that either, although it does add a bunch in the game itself, that as far as I know don't show up on your gamertag. It does change the title in the game when booted up. I think you're right, there is not much to the update.

No new trophies in the PSN release either. I wonder why since I'm sure that they'd prefer for there to be new achievements/trophies to earn rather than just in-game medals.

Yeah I dunno. I was a little put off by it. Like I said, If they ever have a 50% off sale, I might bite.

If I had to do it over again I would have bought the 3 new mazes individually and skipped the new skins. That would have saved me $2 I could have spent on 2 small bags of jalapeno cheddar cheetos. The skins were kind of cool for 30 seconds until I realized it was just the same game with a dig dug character that looked kinda weird as he moved across the screen and a Rally X car I had no nostalgia for.

I kicked the tires last night on this after purchasing the All You Can Eat pack.

The new mazes seem a lot harder - Mountain in particular. Big Eater is fun however I was expecting that there would be more ghosts containing pellets within the maze so you can actually eat a lot of ghosts - but that's not the case they just give you two extra pellets in the center of the maze. Championship III is harder with the way they arranged the pellets. Highway II is more difficult as well.

But, that's OK I'll just spend extra time trying to master the new mazes.

I'm not into the new skins. There's also a locked "Classic Pac" skin and I'm not sure what you need to do to unlock it.

New music too but I was listening to 8-tracks while I was playing.

There's also a locked "Classic Pac" skin and I'm not sure what you need to do to unlock it.

I thought you just had to have all the achievements, (the old ones that is), but then I realized there were new ones so I looked up and found this information on other forums...

"in order to unlock the classic Pac-Man skin for the game, you need to share all of your achievements and five medals, making for a total of 17 separate posts cluttering up your Facebook page all in the name of making the game look like its 1980 original self.

There are three main problems with this: firstly, the medals and achievements are all extremely easy to acquire with the exception of one, meaning they're not really worthy of bragging about; secondly, there's no means of posting the one thing you might genuinely want to share on social media, i.e. your actual score and leaderboard position; thirdly, try as I might, on both the Xbox 360 and PC versions I could not make the Facebook functionality work at all anyway, making the whole thing somewhat redundant. It feels like a half-hearted, unnecessary and badly implemented attempt to add social gaming features into a game that was already pretty good at encouraging competition between friends and among the community as a whole without shoehorning Facebook into the equation."

Bizarre. I saw another couple guys posting that they couldn't upload to Facebook (they had the PS3 version) so I'm not even sure the skin is working right now.