IGNORED

Ice-T XE 2.76 released

itaych

give me APE or solution how fix COM via VIRTUALBOX and i can take 60 000 screenshots.....................

There are free trial versions of APE over at Tucker's website. What is the issue here? Nobody is going to post a registered version of this app, but Steve has always promptly responded to questions via email or his forum.

lol

APE dont support RS232 on MODERN OS - win8, etc..

i never buy this oldie software, i dont have 50+20/30$...... every best software is free.. only bullshit is payed.. ;)

no email support, no email upgrade.. no time for replies.. lol.. APE is buggie.. atarimax site looks like web from 1974, MISSING PAGES..... jesus

Edited by w1k

lol

i never buy this oldie software, i dont have 50+20/30$...... every best software is free.. only bullshit is payed.. ;)

no email support, no email upgrade.. no time for replies.. lol.. APE is buggie.. atarimax site looks like web from 1974, MISSING PAGES..... jesus

You can't expect to get support/updates for APE if you haven't purchased it and are still using the trial version!

• Like 2

lol

You seem very emotional lol...so you cannot get ape rs232 working from virtualbox and xp? Did you go to the virtualbox forums? They are helpful.

I payed for APE, and it works fine for me. I don't care if it works with 8 or not because I will ALYAYS use XP.

-K

APE 3.0.6 works fine with Win 8. I don't think I want Win 8.1. 8.1 search only uses BING, so you get more, 100s of search results

because it searches the internet and your local computer. I use Quicksearch. Windows 8 is slow, inconvenient, buggy. I liked 7 much better.

If I want to search for file where the heck I just downloaded, I get 100s of 'hits', even with 8.0. If I want to search the internet,

I use a web search engine, specifically GOOGLE.

The poster is correct, XP was the best. But it will stop 'updating' in 2014.

Edited by russg

Check out this

video I made of XP booting on a little 1Ghz machine. The hp logo is from the BIOS, before Windows starts loading. The little bar below the XP logo doesn't even make one full pass before it's gone. This is WES09, which is XP SP3, except I can totally customize it.

How do you like my blue start button and 'shrooms? Sorry about poor quality, I used my phone and it's a little shaky and has some glare, but you get the idea.

Notice the mouse pointer disappears at the end of the video. That is the last 'startup' program to load. It re-appears when you move the mouse. A handy program when you are displaying video, or running DOS programs that don't use a mouse.

It's a little longer than 4-5 seconds, but imagine this on an i7.

Windows 8.1 takes longer, too.

-Kyle

Edited by Kyle22
  • Like 1

Time for another release, 2.8.0 alpha 3.

This release focuses on emulation accuracy and completeness. After the previous release, in which I went over the emulation code and reorganized it, I've now been able to take advantage of the much nicer code so I can fix old mistakes and add features. I have spent the last few coding sessions researching the various standards, searching for details I had missed or skipped in the past (when access to this sort of documentation was scarce) and filling in the blanks, running everything against Vttest, Emacs and a BBS with lots of ANSI art. At this point I think the emulation is pretty solid. So, the 'what's new' is:

• VT-52 emulation added (except the special graphical character set which is rarely used anyway).
  • VT-100 emulation is upgraded to VT-102 (with added features such as insert/delete lines and characters).
  • Several escape sequences not part of VT-102, but commonly used by ANSI systems (such as Emacs when TERM=ansi or BBS systems) have been added.
  • ANSI-BBS mode now incorporates an additional tweak regarding cursor behavior when hitting the right margin. As a result some ANSI art looks much better, and Emacs is a lot happier.

BBS users please set the Emulation setting to 'ANSI-BBS'. If you find any case where Ice-T seems to be performing incorrectly, try it against other terminal programs (I recommend SyncTERM for Windows) and let me know if you think there's a problem in Ice-T providing steps to reproduce the issue.

APE users if you are using the trial version (which is rather old) to Telnet, the Telnet client identifies itself as a VT-52 to the remote host. If you get garbage control characters on the screen it may be useful to switch to VT-52 mode. (This was a complaint by w1k who showed me a video of this about a year ago, when he was trying to connect to irc.atarichat.net.)

Linux shell users please set the TERM environment variable to 'vt102' or 'ansi' and set the Emulation setting to VT-102 or ANSI-BBS accordingly. Emacs will enable colors in ANSI mode but is very pedantic on the emulation setting.

Enjoy :)

icet_280_alpha3.xex

• Like 2

In the past few days I've been working on another issue that I'd like to get fixed up before the next release, and that is the matter of file transfers. I discovered and fixed a few minor inaccuracies in my implementation of X/Ymodem (Zmodem will wait for later), but got somewhat stumped on Ymodem-G.

Ymodem-G is a special kind of file transfer designed for error-free data channels, such as modern dial-up modems which perform error correction on the fly, or a TCP connection. Once the file transfer starts the host does not stop transmitting the data packets unless the transfer is aborted. This means that the receiver must be able to write data to disk while data is still being received over the serial port. The Atari can't do this if both modem and disk drive are serial port (POKEY) devices, but should have no problem in other scenarios, such as if the disk drive is a RAMdisk, or if the modem is connected via some other means such as an MIO board, or, of course if the Atari is emulated, in which case the virtual modem doesn't use the emulated POKEY at all.

This is nice in theory, but in real life only Altirra seems to actually work well in this mode. On a real Atari (with RAMdisk or MIO) data from the modem is lost. I don't know the precise details of what happens with an MIO (as this was tested by a user with Ice-T, which simply indicates a data error) but my 130XE has the US+ OS with built in RAMdisk, and when running a separate test program, if trying to write a file to RAMdisk while the data is received over the serial port, sporadic bytes are lost - one or two here and there - at any baud rate.

I am not familiar with the low level details of what happens when a byte is received over the serial port, but as far as I can gather each incoming byte generates an interrupt in which there is a limited time slot for the CPU to read the serial port data before it is overwritten by the next byte. My hunch is that when performing a disk write, even to RAMdisk, this interrupt is disabled for some period of time and data may be lost. This however would not explain why the MIO is losing data (I assume the MIO works differently and has a buffer larger than 1 byte?).

Is there anyone out there with knowledge deep enough to help here? At this point I'm considering disabling Ymodem-G entirely as I have not heard of a single user who's had success with it.

Thanks in advance :)

In the past few days I've been working on another issue that I'd like to get fixed up before the next release, and that is the matter of file transfers. I discovered and fixed a few minor inaccuracies in my implementation of X/Ymodem (Zmodem will wait for later), but got somewhat stumped on Ymodem-G.

Ymodem-G is a special kind of file transfer designed for error-free data channels, such as modern dial-up modems which perform error correction on the fly, or a TCP connection. Once the file transfer starts the host does not stop transmitting the data packets unless the transfer is aborted. This means that the receiver must be able to write data to disk while data is still being received over the serial port. The Atari can't do this if both modem and disk drive are serial port (POKEY) devices, but should have no problem in other scenarios, such as if the disk drive is a RAMdisk, or if the modem is connected via some other means such as an MIO board, or, of course if the Atari is emulated, in which case the virtual modem doesn't use the emulated POKEY at all.

This is nice in theory, but in real life only Altirra seems to actually work well in this mode. On a real Atari (with RAMdisk or MIO) data from the modem is lost. I don't know the precise details of what happens with an MIO (as this was tested by a user with Ice-T, which simply indicates a data error) but my 130XE has the US+ OS with built in RAMdisk, and when running a separate test program, if trying to write a file to RAMdisk while the data is received over the serial port, sporadic bytes are lost - one or two here and there - at any baud rate.

I am not familiar with the low level details of what happens when a byte is received over the serial port, but as far as I can gather each incoming byte generates an interrupt in which there is a limited time slot for the CPU to read the serial port data before it is overwritten by the next byte. My hunch is that when performing a disk write, even to RAMdisk, this interrupt is disabled for some period of time and data may be lost. This however would not explain why the MIO is losing data (I assume the MIO works differently and has a buffer larger than 1 byte?).

Is there anyone out there with knowledge deep enough to help here? At this point I'm considering disabling Ymodem-G entirely as I have not heard of a single user who's had success with it.

Thanks in advance :)

Len Spencer wrote a high speed handler for the MIO and Blackbox which has hardware flow control. With an MIO/Blackbox this may resolve the issue you are having with lost data while saving the buffer.

http://www.lenardspencer.com/Lenspencer/hyperspd.html

Itay, your hunch is absolutely correct about ramdisk access, they do turn all interrupts off for access to the extended banks without having troubles with the various purposes of PortB. If you want to know more about the MIO (I don't) you might want to PM MEtalGuy66 as he works on them deeply. I haven't seen much posting from him lately, it may be a while. This from his sig

kjones66@earthlink.net http://www.rasterline.com