IGNORED

Telelink II

Wally1

I wonder how many versions of AMODEM finally made it out the door? Good god, there were so many...

I know I used 5.2 for quite a while... more than any other version. I also used 7.x but by then, Express 850 was out and I was using it 99% of the time.

I wonder how many versions of AMODEM finally made it out the door? Good god, there were so many...

Of course, there was the bog standard AMODEM 4.0/4.1/4.2, that came out of Sector One (Jim Steinbrecher), and that code was repurposed, and extended, versions that I personally had:

* AMODEM PLUS 5.2, which had a scrolling status bar, and was compiled with the ABC compiler. (1984)

* AMODEM PLUS 5.6, similar. (1984)

* AMODEM 6.0/6.3, BASIC version, dark blue sscreen, support for Signalman, MPP, as well as 850. (1984)

* AMODEM 7.0/7.1 - written by some guy out of Oklahoma, I forget his name. (1985)

I also had a variation of AMODEM Plus, that had a built in Wargames dialer, and a few other bits,

-Thom

Matt Pritchard. That may be the name of the AMIS BBS for MPP modem, in BASIC, author. I don't think it was very popular (AMIS MPP). Edited by russg

• 9 years later...
On 10/19/2013 at 12:33 PM, BillC said:

There are separate versions of Express for each type of modem, 850, 1030/XM301, MPP/Supra, SX212/RVerter. The later versions of Bobterm will work with all types, if it needs a special driver it needs to be renamed/copied to RS232.COM.

I had some issue with Bobterm 1.21 from the Holmes CD but was finally able to get it to load, I then updated it with the v1.22 BOBTERM.COM I was able to extract from an ARC file on the Holmes CD.

The image I am including will work as is with an 850/PRC/MIO/Black Box connected modem, to get it to work with a direct connect modem simply copy the appropriate driver file to RS232.COM. It is a DOS 2.5 image, but I have also tested it with SpartaDOS_X 4.20/4.46, AUTORUN.SYS must be preceded by the X command to load it from SpartaDOS_X("X AUTORUN.SYS").

I have tested that the attached Bobterm 1.22 does work with XM301/MPP 1000E/SX212 modems when the appropriate driver is copied to RS232.COM. I didn't actually connect to anything, but was able to dial my cell phone # with all three modems.

BOBTERM 122.atr 130.02 kB · 117 downloads

@BillC

I downloaded the BobTerm 122.atr. It boots fine on my 800, but at the main menu, no matter what command key I hit the program exits directly to DOS.

4 hours ago, stushug said:

@BillC

I downloaded the BobTerm 122.atr. It boots fine on my 800, but at the main menu, no matter what command key I hit the program exits directly to DOS.

What serial port device are you using, unless there is a driver named RS232.COM it will only work with a BB/MIO(no driver required) or 850/PRC?(loads driver from device). Other devices need the correct driver copied to RS232.COM in order to communicate with it successfully.

10 hours ago, BillC said:

What serial port device are you using, unless there is a driver named RS232.COM it will only work with a BB/MIO(no driver required) or 850/PRC?(loads driver from device). Other devices need the correct driver copied to RS232.COM in order to communicate with it successfully.

I was using it with my SX212 modem daisychained through my XF551 floppy drive into my 800. I just found an 850 on ebay. My SX212 has a serial port, can I use any serial cable to connect it to the 850?

Edited by stushug

2 hours ago, stushug said:

I was using it with my SX212 modem daisychained through my XF551 floppy drive into my 800. I just found an 850 on ebay. My SX212 has a serial port, can I use any serial cable to connect it to the 850?

I don't know anything about the SX-212 but I used the 850 with Hayes and USR modems for years and I remember that a special serial cable was required to use these modems with an 850.  I am pretty sure I can dig up the connections cable diagram because I know I made my own.

8 minutes ago, bf2k+ said:

I don't know anything about the SX-212 but I used the 850 with Hayes and USR modems for years and I remember that a special serial cable was required to use these modems with an 850.  I am pretty sure I can dig up the connections cable diagram because I know I made my own.

Right now I'm using the modem with the SIO connection, but BillC had mentioned earlier about the RS232.com and needing an 850. I don't know if hooking my SX212 that way would solve my original  problem of BobTerm 1.22 exiting to DOS on any keystroke.

12 hours ago, BillC said:

3 hours ago, stushug said:

To use an SX212 connected via SIO the RVERTER.COM driver needs to be copied to RS232.COM, BOBTERM will then load this driver automatically.

• Like 1