IGNORED

Season 7 Round 5 - Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong

post-5757-0-60868700-1382200044_thumb.png

Donkey Kong the ape has stolen Mario's girlfriend and has taken her to the top of a steel fortress. Mario must get to the top to save her! Use the joystick control to maneuver Mario across the girders and up the ladders. But - as he runs, the ape throws barrels at him to prevent his progress. Use the fire button to get Mario to jump over the barrels. Will Mario make it to the top and rescue his gal in time?

Game Information

Game Name: Donkey Kong
Released by: Coleco, 1982
Original arcade game by: Nintendo, 1981
CV HSC High Score: NA
TwinGalaxies High Score: 1,200,100 by Tom Duncan (Oct 2004)
Settings: Skill 3
This game was suggested by: CoLethalVision

Contest Ends

Saturday, 2 November
at 12:00PM EST

Contest Rules

The HSC rules can be found here

Final High Scores

1. CoLethalVision 367,300 [+100]
2. jblenkle 103,200 [+28]
3. Northcoastgamer 99,900 [+27]
4. chuckwalla 98,000 [+27]
5. Ikrananka 94,300 [+26]
6. Colecovision 91,900 [+25]
7. darthkur 50,000 [+14]
8. RJ 49,100 [+13]
9. nanochess 32,400 [+9]
10. Darrin9999 25,100 [+7]
11. ed1475 23,300 [+6]
12. Gaztee 9,400 [+3]
13. roadrunner 7,100 [+2]

Leaderboard (up to end of prior round)

1. Northcoastgamer [300] (3) 3 1 1
2. CoLethalVision [236] (4) 1
3. Ikrananka [163] (4) 1
4. darthkur [150] (4) 1
5. gamecat80 [147] (2) 1 1
6. jblenkle [145] (4)
7. nanochess [143] (4) 1
8. Colecovision [119] (4)
9. ed1475 [116] (4) 1 1
10. Manoau2002 [109] (4)
11. SpiceWare [72] (3)
12. roadrunner [57] (4)
13. Electric Adventures [57] (2)
14. patbb [53] (1)
15. wolfman24 [41] (4)
16. Gaztee [33] (3)
17. Liduario [33] (1)
18. DonPedro [24] (1)
19. Darrin9999 [22] (2)
20. S.BAZ [4] (1)

[ ] = Points
( ) = Rounds Played
BLUE = Rounds Won
PURPLE = Twin Galaxies Challenge Medals Won
GOLD = Seasons Won

Yay! I'll start tonight!

Do I get a special "hardcore" bonus or something for using the standard CV controller? ;)

Uh-oh...is the "fast climb" considered a bug/glitch? I used it a bunch.

Edited by RJ

I have a question about submissions on this one.

The score will reset upon reaching 100K, which I have just done (118,500). I didn't do a screen capture as there isn't much point, it will only say 18,500. This was only a 10 minute practice so I will score much higher than that later. Should I record my run as a video?

I have a question about submissions on this one.

The score will reset upon reaching 100K, which I have just done (118,500). I didn't do a screen capture as there isn't much point, it will only say 18,500. This was only a 10 minute practice so I will score much higher than that later. Should I record my run as a video?

Video's are not required. The HSC is operated on trust, after all this is just for fun. If possible, take post a screenshot just before the score resets, but don't worry if that's not possible for you. I agree that in general screenshots taken after the score rolls are rather pointless, however it is still nice to see a screenshot - even just to prove you have actually played the game :) So, regardless of your score, please post a screenshot when possible.

Awww, I may as well quit playing right now.

Don't worry - you're not the only one that feels like that - me included. Don't be put off from playing, the game is still incredibly fun and I'm looking forward to playing at Skill level 3 which I have never played much before.

Uh-oh...is the "fast climb" considered a bug/glitch? I used it a bunch.

As per the general philosophy of the HSC, cheats and glitches should NOT be used and as such please do NOT use the "fast climb" or the "level warp" glitches. This is also in-line with the decision made the previous time Donkey Kong was played in the HSC.

Is the fast climb a glitch or a feature? It's not like you have to do something tricky or accidental to do it. You just press up twice on the joystick.

As per the general philosophy of the HSC, cheats and glitches should NOT be used and as such please do NOT use the "fast climb" or the "level warp" glitches. This is also in-line with the decision made the previous time Donkey Kong was played in the HSC.

Is the fast climb a glitch or a feature? It's not like you have to do something tricky or accidental to do it. You just press up twice on the joystick.

Well I agree that it is debatable if this is a glitch or part of the original design. However, I'm going to err on the side of caution and assume it is a glitch. This assumption at least makes the game play closer to the actual arcade game.

I shut it off after a recent round & forgot my score! It was around

so I'll say that.

It's a totally different game w/out fast climb. This time around if I caught myself doing it, I stopped & went completely back up or down the ladder, since once you do it, you're "locked in" until you leave the ladder.

I personally don't think the fast climb is a cheat.....it is part of the game. I mean Mario (AKA Jumpman) sometimes gets "stuck" at the top and bottom of ladders due to the "stiff" controls of the game anyway. How do we know Mr. Tom Duncan didn't use the fast climb himself? That and the fact the points roll over after 100,000......anyone can play just a few minutes and claim much higher. There are just too many red flags with this game to compete for an authentic score...jmho.

Well it's already determined we can't use the fast climb this time.

& emulation is accepted- plus if people DO use the actual CV, there are other (better) control options than the mushroom- Genesis controller, Atari joystick, Super Action controller, etc etc. Luckily I got a couple 'shrooms that still work well.

I think if we all used different controllers that'd be a possible point of contention too, but I ain't sayin' nothin'.

.....anyone can play just a few minutes and claim much higher. There are just too many red flags with this game to compete for an authentic score...jmho.

We'll have to go on assumption our competitors here aren't a bunch of liars, just playing for fun & bragging rights. :)

Edited by RJ