IGNORED

PC Game Deals

JamesD

Have Life of Pixel through PSN on my Xperia, it is a really good game, controls work nice for touch screen, done the first set of levels, some of the Spectrum levels and started on the BBC Model B levels. Wasn't aware that it was available on the PC in all honesty, need to pick it up.

The PC (and Mac) version is new, only out for about 1 or 2 months. It's a significantly expanded version of the game, with at least 4 new worlds, off the top of my head (the original had 9 worlds; the new ones I'm thinking of are Amiga, Apple II, SNES, and Genesis). Also, there's a whole new set of something like 50 collectibles, hidden ones this time, so even the old levels have new areas. Lastly, there's now an assortment of vehicles available in certain levels. As shown in the trailer, there's a car, a jet pack, a bubble, and I think I saw a skateboard and mine cart, too? Oh, and the PC/Mac version also has online leaderboards for each level, for the speed-runners.

onmode-ky

Not trying to hijack this thread, but how do you guys all feel about DRM? I'm just not a huge fan of buying games on Steam or GOG. GOG isn't too bad, they do a really good job of providing old games to new players, and providing some kind of profit / payment to the old license-holders. But... back when I had free time, I used to buy up ALL the good games I had as a kid, and make sure I bought them on CD. During the mid 90s, there was a big push to basically resell all the old games (crappy or otherwise) in game bundles, pack-ins, or as singles. So, I bought up pretty much EVERYTHING I originally had on diskette as a CD if I could. Even games like Starflight 2

For those who think it never happened, behold... Starflight 2 on CD!

moC3x_OeJMNMy5COCPyTtmw.jpg

Ultimately, I got a Case Logic CD case with 320 CD games. I realize a fire would destroy it all... but I just like having the physical copy so that I can put it on my old computer.

GOG is completely DRM free, they won't accept DRM of any kind.

Steam is great. Been using them for ages and never had a problem with them (even though they are technically DRM). I have no issues with installing their client cause I trust them.

Although they do allow publisher made DRM like from Ubisoft. That, I don't like. So basically when I use Steam I stay away from Ubisoft, EA and Games for Windows (Microsoft) published games. I just buy those games on a console.

Not trying to hijack this thread, but how do you guys all feel about DRM?

I just love it so long as it stays out of the way. With few exceptions, if a game's not on Steam, I'm not especially interested in it.

I've been throwing away old PC cd's as I trip over them in the house. So far I've kept only 3 CD games: Dreamweb, Freelancer, and Deus Ex: Invisible war. It's not like PC games were ever collectible, and steam just makes it easy and fun.

I'm not a GOG fan any more. Most of their titles are crappily dosboxed messes that take a fair bit of fiddling around in setting files to get something that's never perfect--never the way they were supposed to play. Not to mention the hassle of actually having to manually install and patch games--that's peasant work. I feel like gog should be the one paying ME for that.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1