IGNORED

Altirra 2.40 Final out..

Mclaneinc

I loaded the T816 OS rom image and the system does boot. If no cartridge is present, then the system halts, saying it's the BASIC placeholder. It should just drop to DOS. If there is a cart, then it goes to the cart fine and from there you can go back to DOS. Any attempt to switch to 65816 code just freezes the system. I know the OS works, so presumably it's an issue with the emulation. I tried using the debugger, but since it only shows opcodes and not mnemonics it's not useful at all. Is there a way to have it show the instruction mnemonics ?

I use the following sequence to test for the presence of a 65816. It works correctly with the T816 from DataQue but fails in Altirra with a 65C816 cpu selected:

Odd, works for me. This is what I get when stepping through the code:

(548:  0,  3) C=FF34 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=7D ( VDI C)  00:0601: A9 99             LDA #$99
(548:  0,  5) C=FF99 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=FD (NVDI C)  00:0603: 18                CLC
(548:  0,  7) C=FF99 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=FC (NVDI  )  00:0604: 69 01             ADC #$01
(548:  0,  9) C=FF00 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3F (  DIZC)  00:0606: 30 0E             BMI $0616
(548:  0, 11) C=FF00 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3F (  DIZC)  00:0608: 78                SEI
(548:  0, 13) C=FF00 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3F (  DIZC)  00:0609: A9 00             LDA #$00
(548:  0, 15) C=FF00 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3F (  DIZC)  00:060B: 8D 0E D4          STA NMIEN    [$00:D40E]
(548:  0, 19) C=FF00 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3F (  DIZC)  00:060E: 18                CLC
(548:  0, 21) C=FF00 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3E (  DIZ )  00:060F: FB                XCE
(548:  0, 23) C=FF00 X=--57 Y=--01 S=01EC P=3F (  MXDIZC)  00:0610: 90 04             BCC $0616
(548:  0, 26) C=FF00 X=--57 Y=--01 S=01EC P=3F (  MXDIZC)  00:0612: FB                XCE
(548:  0, 28) C=FF00 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3E (  DIZ )  00:0613: A9 40             LDA #$40
(548:  0, 31) C=FF40 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3C (  DI  )  00:0615: 2C A9 00          BIT $00A9    [$00:00A9] = $00
(548:  0, 36) C=FF40 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3E (  DIZ )  00:0618: 85 F0             STA $F0      [$00:00F0]
(548:  0, 40) C=FF40 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3E (  DIZ )  00:061A: 58                CLI
(548:  0, 43) C=FF40 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=3A (  D Z )  00:061B: A9 40             LDA #$40
(548:  0, 46) C=FF40 X=57 Y=01 S=EC P=38 (  D   )  00:061D: 8D 0E D4          STA NMIEN    [$00:D40E]

I loaded the T816 OS rom image and the system does boot. If no cartridge is present, then the system halts, saying it's the BASIC placeholder. It should just drop to DOS. If there is a cart, then it goes to the cart fine and from there you can go back to DOS. Any attempt to switch to 65816 code just freezes the system. I know the OS works, so presumably it's an issue with the emulation. I tried using the debugger, but since it only shows opcodes and not mnemonics it's not useful at all. Is there a way to have it show the instruction mnemonics ?

Hmm... I was able to get TOS816.ROM from pigwa to work, interrupts and all, on both 2.40 and 2.50-test:

post-16457-0-22456800-1393399308_thumb.png

Make sure you have 816 showing up on the title bar, that you have the Turbo816 ROM bound to either the XL/XE or Other firmware slots and that it is selected, and that you see the darker screen of that OS.

Also, you should definitely not be seeing just opcodes. The step output, disassembly window, and history window should all have decoded instructions with symbol names.

Ok, I figured out the problem with the mnemonics, I just didn't have the window dragged out large enough.

I can't enter any commands on the command line though. It just sits there blinking and doesn't accept any keypresses. I'm using Win 7 Enterprise although it doesn't work on Professional either. Any ideas ?

As for the 816 rom, I'm using the one from the T816. AFAIK there's nothng specific in it that would restrict it to only working with the DataQue board.

I just want to humbly mention that the Rapidus Accelerator (which is being currently developed) has reserved address space of last 16 banks ($F0-$FF) for FLASH ROM, registers and future expansions area, so programs that assume RAM there won't be compatible with it.

demo "Extract (128)" - error in altirra?
vertical stripe on the right side of the screen, see screenshot.

http://pic4net.com/di-BNK9I9.jpg

in emulator atari 800winplus 4.0 such a strip on the right side of the screen is not.
What's the problem?

http://pic4net.com/di-24WHGP.jpg

in atari++ 1.73

http://pic4net.com/di-CXD1OS.jpg

Edited by serj

demo "Extract (128)" - error in altirra?

vertical stripe on the right side of the screen, see screenshot.

http://pic4net.com/di-BNK9I9.jpg

in emulator atari 800winplus 4.0 such a strip on the right side of the screen is not.

What's the problem?

http://pic4net.com/di-24WHGP.jpg

in atari++ 1.73

http://pic4net.com/di-CXD1OS.jpg

Just an observation - the picture of the Altirra screen shot shows that it's in the PAL mode but it's running at 56.430 fps. I thought PAL = 50 fps?

Just an observation - the picture of the Altirra screen shot shows that it's in the PAL mode but it's running at 56.430 fps. I thought PAL = 50 fps?

Chances are he used F1 to skip ahead to that section and the counter is simply returning to normal...

But error confirmed here as well

why when you open almost any disk image in "disk explorer" the error is:

http://pic4net.com/di-0B3HBO.jpg

It would seem to depend on your ATR selection: the ones you're opening are presumably damaged or deviate from the DOS 2.0s format in some way. Perhaps there are VTOC errors or bad file link IDs, etc. Which tool was used to prepare the ATRs? I've just tried a selection of 90KB DOS ATRs and the majority of them opened fine here. 130KB enhanced images tend to be opened read-only, but almost all 90KB images worked.

Here's one of the ATRs shown in your screenshots, BTW, which opens read-only:

TBds006.atr

Edited by flashjazzcat

@phaeron

I often find myself with mono pokey selected when I've already loaded an executable that wants stereo pokeys. Unfortunately, just toggling System -> Audio -> Stereo causes the pokey(s) to be put in a state such that no sound is generated. I then have restart the executable so that it has a chance to initialize the pokeys. Alternatively, I found that I can type "e SKCTL 1" and "e SKCTL+$10 1" in the debug console to get the sound to work without restarting. Any chance the stereo toggle could do that automatically?

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.50-test30.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.50-test30-src.zip

Fixes glitch in Extract demo. This was an interesting one -- this demo relies on the playfield being blanked for 2 cclks when exiting GTIA mode 9. The behavior on real hardware is that you get 2 cclks of blanking when exiting mode 9 or 11 and no blanking at all when exiting mode 10.

I looked into the disk issue. There was a bug in the validator that I fixed where it wasn't properly watching for end of directory, but that wasn't it. The real problem is that the disk has files marked as both in-use ($40) and deleted ($80). This is an ambiguous case where DOS 2.0S and VTOCFIX see these files as deleted, whereas SpartaDOS X sees these files as normal. Altirra was also seeing these files, so it was flagging the disk as broken due to a VTOC bitmap mismatch. I'll need to do some more research to see if I can figure out what DOS might be doing this.

Regarding switching POKEYs on the fly -- when you do this, Altirra issues a cold reset to both POKEYs to ensure they're in sync (bad things happen if their output engines aren't). It's not really realistic to emulate sticking a chip in on the fly and this should probably force a cold reset, but I suppose it could be a little less harsh than it currently is.

16MB 65C816 -- is there actually such a real configuration?

• Like 1

thanks for the update Avery.

can I ask to make one small improvement for the emulator.

please add a button or option in emulator for the main window of the emulator.
If this option is enabled then the emulator window can not be stretched (change).
if option is off the main emulator window can be stretched (change).

it is not only my request, several people on the Russian-speaking forum asked about this change.

16MB 65C816 -- is there actually such a real configuration?

Does it matter ? I don't think there's ever been a 4MB 65C816 either. I just thought it would be something easy to do and maybe in the future it would have a use. I only have 768K on my T816 and I don't think my ramdisk even uses all of that.

Edited by Alfred

If concerning Rapidus Acc. there are few prototypes around with such address space layout:

Banks         00         01-07    08-EF    F0-F7     F8-FE      FF
Desc     Atari/SRAM      SRAM     SDRAM    FLASH   Reserved  Registers
Size              512 kB         14.5 MB   512 kB    960 kB    64 kB

First 512 kB is essentially a SRAM but into the lowest bank is by default mapped original 6502 address-space hiding the SRAM there (it can be configured with 16kB granularity).

Edited by laoo

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.50-test31.zip
http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.50-test31-src.zip

A couple of major changes in this version. First, I've redone the audio output path to try to improve sound accuracy. There is now a second high-pass filter to better replicate the exponential decay from real hardware and I've adjusted the volume curve based on measurements. The result is that the sound will be a bit clearer at typical volume levels due to less compression, but overall louder due to the stiffer knee on the volume curve. You can adjust the overall sound level in System > Audio > Options. It's still a bit off from the real thing, but I can't emulate that without doing a lot more reverse engineering of exactly why and how POKEY's output is saturating -- the technique I've used here is only an approximation because the effective volume curve varies by frequency.

2.50-test31 is also a little bit faster when no audio is playing due to a problem I found and fixed in the high-pass filter. Stupid denormals.

The second major change is that I've added partial support for CC65 source-level debugging. Version 2 dbgfile symbols are now supported with the .dbg extension. You must be using a newer version of CC65 to generate the necessary version 2 info -- 2.13.3-1 is too old. Also, cl65 doesn't expose this directly and so a little-command line trickery is needed:

cl65 -t atari -g hello.c -o hello.xex -Wl "--dbgfile hello.dbg"

The .lbl (VICE symbols) file is no longer needed when a dbgfile is used. Line number handling is a bit rough but somewhat works now (I had to add support for multiple disjoint ranges). The call stack tracer can now more reliably find its way out of the XL/XE OS display handler code and source windows are now dockable.

An extension of the ipf dll – is the [cp] scp image format to be added to Altirra?

Not any time soon. These are raw disk dump based formats, so they require a full disk decoding implementation to use.

acid 1.2 beta is latest beta?

Yes.