IGNORED

Altirra 2.40 Final out..

Mclaneinc

Is it still possible to emulate SIDE 2 in Altirra (with on-board SDX, and without Ultimate 1MB)? It's been so long since I had it set up, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. I'm going to System->Firmware, loading up the SIDE2 SDX ROM, then selecting SIDE2 in System->Hard Disk and enabling the cart-based SDX. But the machine crashes when booting (indirect jump through SDX kernel vector $07E3 results in PC = $0000). I've even tried using the SDX ROM pulled straight from a real SIDE2 cart - same problem.

Something else I noticed: in firmware settings, there's only one SIDE entry, but SIDE and SIDE2 have different base addresses, so isn't a separate SIDE2 ROM entry needed (since switching between SIDE and SIDE2 in the hard disk dialog will alter the SDX banking address)?

Tried that Roy. I think I've figured out what the problem is: selecting "SIDE2" in System->Hard Disk does not change the SDX banking register to $D5E1 - it leaves it at $D5E0, which is the SIDE1 banking register (it was moved in SIDE2 because $D5E0 clashes with Ultimate 1MB's SDX base register). This is why the SIDE2 SDX ROM crashes.

So, to summarise for Avery:

• SIDE2 emulation should use $D5E1 for the SDX banking register
  • System->Firmware->ROM Images requires a separate slot for SIDE2, since the SDX ROMs for SIDE and SIDE2 are not interchangable

I discovered this by accident since the SIDE1 ROM still works when SIDE2 is selected.

Unrelated, but armed with information from Candle, I've patched Trub's SIDE1 SDX flasher so it works with SIDE2 (there was previously no ATR flasher for SIDE2 that I was aware of). Only the single reference to the base register required amendment.

• Like 1

SIDE2 fixes:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.50-test25.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.50-test25-src.zip

The changes in the previous versions were to fix crashes related to XEP80 and SoundBoard emulation, and also adding multi-touch support to the on-screen keyboard.

You can write files to an SDX disk in the Disk Explorer by dragging files onto it. I couldn't reproduce the issue with broken formatting -- got a sample .atr?

• Like 2

SIDE2 fixes:

Awesome. Thank you so much. :)

You can write files to an SDX disk in the Disk Explorer by dragging files onto it. I couldn't reproduce the issue with broken formatting -- got a sample .atr?

Couldn't reproduce the formatting issue for you yet, but I figured out the drag and drop problem: it doesn't work if Altirra is running as admin (which mine always is, since I need physical disk access). When not running as admin, all is well.

Regardless of the above, Disk Explorer won't touch the official SpartaDOS X update ATRs, reporting that the files are sparsely allocated. I have no idea why this would be the case. No problem though: I can just make new ones.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Yep. Me too!

Hmm - not wanting to derail the thread too much, but I am on Win7-64. My user account is an admin, but what I mean, is if I right click on a program such as notepad or notepad++, and choose "run as admin", I cannot drag a file into it and have it open the file.

In a similar win64 win 7setup, with notepad 'run as administrator' - I drag and drop a text file in to the editing window and it opens.

Is it possible you have some faulty shell extension running that is screwing with your drop notifications?

Thanks for the info - I have at least 2 different machines I can test this.

Wishful feature requests:

- Audio monitor support for stereo POKEY and GTIA

- Audio monitor mode that displays filtered waveform instead of raw volume per scan line

- Motivation: would like to see resulting waveforms generated by pulse-width-modulation audio players (e.g.) without having to use something like sndpeek

Hello,

Just now I've started the emulator and it works good on my system. Just one slight problem, the 64 mode doesn't "see" my keyboard. (odd but no problem since the other one works)

The reason for using Altirra is that I'm trying to continue on a development of a super floppy drive enhancement. It's for the 1050.

This has a Flash-Rom and of course it needs to be flashed. My goal is to be able to flash "in system" so the Flash-chip needs not be removed.

For this purpose, I do have a request for an enhancement to Alitrra.

In the drive emulation, I'dd like to be able to enter a system Rom into the drive.

That way, I can test the special flash software in the emulation.

To make it a little more simple, all I need to verify is the communication over the SIO bus.

The intention is to have a seperate program / emulation setting on the diskdrive.

Functionallity is limited to accepting the data to be flashed, storing it in Ram and sending it to the correct part of the Flash memory.

BR/

Guus

Edited by guus.assmann

Still couldn't reproduce the formatting error, but I still can't open the attached ATR in disk explorer, since it's reported as sparsely allocated:

SDX446_ideplus.atr

Edited by flashjazzcat

That disk image may be broken -- it has a sparse main directory that is $23F bytes long but only has one sector allocated to it. If you mount it on SDX 4.46 and start adding files to it, you get 135 File is read-only when SDX hits the second sector. The SDX manual says that unallocated regions of a sparse file may not be read, so I'm pretty sure this isn't valid. I've patched Disk Explorer to make it work, though:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.50-test26.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.50-test26-src.zip

It now reads sparse regions as null bytes and allocates sectors on write. Other changes: fixed swapped 5200 one-chip and two-chip cartridge modes, ATBasic's CLOAD no longer automatically RUNs, FSK blocks are now supported in .CAS files, the Tape Control dialog now shows a peak waveform graph to make it easier to tell where to seek, fixed an issue with Disk Explorer not reusing SDFS directory entries properly on write, and fixed swapped bytes when reporting 16-bit target values in disassembly.

Also, for a little bit of misc fun: attached is Altirra's internal firmware, renamed to standard emulator names. I haven't tried the OS firmware on real hardware yet, but I did find the bug that was preventing the LLE OS from running on Atari800WinPLus 4.0: it wasn't handling COLDST properly and didn't force a cold start on a reset after a previous failed cold start. Apparently, the Atari800 1.x core doesn't clear memory on a cold start, so PUPBT* isn't reset, but COLDST is (!).

Regarding the drive emulation... that sounds like it may be a bit too esoteric for me to add, particularly if the drive emulation doesn't actually do anything with the flashed image. However, I have been thinking about ways to implement easily programmable test devices. For instance, it was pretty hard to test OS CIO device polling functionality, because no one seems to have actually ever created such a device that uses it.

altfirmware-2.50-test26.zip

• Like 3

DO these new Alt-OS's have checksum disabled. Mostly worried about the Atarixl.rom...

Never mind I figured it out. BYE from basic brings up the Altirra Graphic and trademake..

Reason I asked is I usually change Keyboard assignment for " sign and \ sign, also Screen from CA 94 46 00 to CC 94 46 94, and the Attract mode to OFF.

So now atarixl rom has been tested in the Ulimate1Mb as one of the 4 OS slots.. And seems to be doing normally .

Edited by rdea6