IGNORED

Intellivision One of the Worst Console Launches...

TrickyMoon

...at least according to Yahoo!

http://games.yahoo.com/photos/the-best-and-worst-console-launches-1383931838-slideshow/

"WORST – INTELLIVISION (1980) -- The launch of this Atari 2600 competitor came with just four games, which would have been fine had they been any more exciting. But when you kick off with The Electric Company Math Fun and ABPA Backgammon, it's a pretty clear sign that you're not sure who your audience is. The system would get much better over time, however."

Had to fact check this...

while author is technically correct it doesnt tell full story. The "launch" w/ only 4 cartridges was actually in a single test market, rather than the global launch/hoopla you see with Xbox One and PS4.

Truth is when it was launched nationwide there were a total of 19 cartridges...

(this all taken from http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/home.shtml)

1979 Intellivision console and four game cartridges are successfully test marketed through Gottschalks department stores in and around Fresno, California.

1980 Intellivision introduced nationwide. Mattel claims Intellivision is heart of a home system that will soon include a computer keyboard component. Fifteen more Intellivision titles released, bringing total to 19. Console sales reach 175,000. Mattel hires programmers to start developing software in-house.

Calling the Intellivision the worst is to be expected. Intellivision was created for people with an intellect, and I hate to say it, but there are a lot more stupid people, than smart people. The smart are out numbered 9:1. Thats why atari did well they catered to a larger pool. :)

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

The Intellivision was what it says it is: Intelligent tellivision.

The Atari 2600 sucked, had bad graphics and only lousy versions of great arcade games.

I f anyone was smart enough to figure out how to use the 16 directional Intellivision disc, they would find how great the sports games were and the action games as well

Edited by wolfy62
  • Like 3

The Atari 2600 sucked, had bad graphics and only lousy versions of great arcade games.

I f anyone was smart enough to figure out how to use the 16 directional Intellivision disc, they would find how great the sports games were and the action games as well

Excellent point. Most Atarians don't have enough mental ram for 16 directions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

At the time they came out,Atari and Intellivision there was nothing to compare them to.Unless you want to count the million different versions of pong.

I remember standing in front of the counter at the store,and looking at both units.You couldn't get an honest opinion from the store,because they knew even less then the first time buyers.

What I recall was that the Intellivison was the one to get for sports and "thinking"games,while the Atari was the one for action and

more variety.

Plus the games cost about 35-40 bucks each,for either system.Which was big bucks in the late 70s and early 80s.

Ultimately,I got the Atari,which came with Combat,and I bought Breakout and Space Invaders.Over 300 large ones.I was happy overall,especially with Space Invaders.

My neighbor got the Intellivison,and I played a few games on it,but I did not like the feel of the joysticks and the games to me were

in my humble opinion boring.

Now after they had been on the market about a year or so,the play ground was more level,because the game makers started to make more and attractive titles,and I think with just that alone(games)you could say that for awhile both systems stood out equally .

Of course once the Coleco came out,I had a totally different opinion.But that's another story

• Like 1

If anyone was smart enough to figure out how to use the 16 directional Intellivision disc, they would find how great the sports games were and the action games as well

The 2600 has versatile graphics. In the hands of some programmers the graphics will suck. Yes.

The controls on the INTV are just strange enough to be considered off putting by some - both stupid or smart.

I personally love both systems.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Calling the Intellivision the worst is to be expected. Intellivision was created for people with an intellect, and I hate to say it, but there are a lot more stupid people, than smart people. The smart are out numbered 9:1. Thats why atari did well they catered to a larger pool. :)

The same is true today, twitch smartphone games vs complex PC simulations. But the ratio is like 100:1 and getting dumber and dumber.

• Like 1

The NES was available only at Sears in the Sporting Goods department and sold moderately at best the first Christmas season it was available.

I think someone just looked at game lineups and not at what really occurred.

Non Entertaining System belongs in the trash department. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

At the time they came out,Atari and Intellivision there was nothing to compare them to.

Well, I think the Philips G7000 (you may know as Odyssey 2) is actually a very underrated system for that time. Awesome possibilities and some really nice games. So I would say there were some systems you could compare, but most of them got forgotten.

Edited by Ignorama

Non Entertaining System belongs in the trash department. :)

I know you said that tongue-in-cheek. But it is interesting how when the NES started showing up in stores, I felt it was taking away from real game systems like the Intellivision and the Atari 2600 (the 5200 and Colecovision had ceased being active by this time). After all, it had a gun and a robot. It looked like a toy. Now I wish I had that robot -- I could sell it and almost pay my homebrew bill.

Edited by mdoerty
  • Like 1

I've rather thought of each unit complimentary. When I got tired of action games I pulled out the Intellivision. When I got tired of strategy and thinking games I pulled out the VCS. My gaming activities revolved around both units almost equally.

Yeah, but back in the day, it wasn't really practical for most families to own more than one of these consoles. This is the reason why a lot of us nowadays have a very passionate affinity to a single console, because it is a direct connection to the memories of youth.

-dZ.

• Like 1

I'd tread lightly on a site like this when inferring that intellivision owners = smart and atari owners = dumb ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree dZ,

I wanted the Atari 2600 as an almost 8-year old for Xmas as I never even heard of the intellivision, but was very happy my dad saw the difference in overall quality and got me the Inty for roughly $300 big ones - crazy and we were not rich. My first 2-games that Christmas were NASL Soccer and Space Battle - anyone remember them using the Space Battle game on channel 11 for prizes - think you had to open say pix or something when you wanted to fire.

Bottom line though, I think that whichever system you owned is where the memories are and will always be your favorite. It's not like I didn't have access to an Atari 2600, but some of their games were really bad and probably helped crash the market. Games at $30-$35 back then - wow! I remember seeing Chess for $40-$45 somewhere. Damn. Anyways, nothing wrong with liking games for both but I'll always have a special place for the inty and stick up for it if anyone talks trash about it.

Hope all is well with everyone and Happy Turkey Day coming up soon.

Joe.

• Like 1

Worst or not, the Intellivision is in fairly good company on that list with both PS3 and Wii U among the five "worst" console launches. I think the four titles in the test launch were typical for the era and make sense if it was meant to be a video game for thinking people, perhaps more oriented to grown-ups than little kids. Besides, perhaps the people in the Fresno area are known to like backgammon, black jack, poker, math games and the occasional shooting with tanks? In that case, the selection of pre-release titles would be perfect! ;-)

NO, consoles sucked. Every console had their pros and cons. Games with better graphics did not always mean better playing games. Some early 2600 games may have had simpler graphics, but the game play was fantastic and addictive.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I have a 2600 and loved it. I had a friend that had an Intellivision, and it was cool. Now that I'm middle aged....well maybe a bit beyond middle....I have most of the consoles from that era, and love them all.

Edited by RickR