IGNORED

Dumb question

BONEMAN

Yes but not all of them and you're playing them via emulation.

Here is the list although keep in mind not all run perfectly, or even well....

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-games/play-original-games

Not really a dumb question but kind of odd considering this has been a known fact to most gamers since 2005-2006.

Congrats on discovering the Xbox 360!!

Keep in mind that in order to play original Xbox games on the 360 that you need an Xbox 360 with an original Xbox 360 hard drive. It needs to be a hard drive. Flash memory and grey market hard drives are generally flagged as incompatible.

As was stated, the quality of the emulation varies greatly by title, but you do have the general advantage of the games being upscaled. With that said, of course nothing beats a real Xbox console with component out.

The 360 has horrible compatibility. I wouldn't count on it for your favorite game to work. The sad part is this is intentional. Sony has even more hate for backwards compatibility.

A soft-modded XBOX is useful if you still play original games and would like a convenient streaming video/emulation station.

Again, a bit over-the-top and I don't think it's necessarily intentional. Most of the games I've tried have played just fine all things considered. There's no incentive for Microsoft to make backwards compatibility look bad since they stopped selling the original Xbox pretty quickly after release. It was more of a bullet point type of thing.

I have a launch PS3 with hardware-based backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 titles. That works well. It's true that Sony soon shifted to a poorer software-based model, then dropped support completely. That was clearly intentional since Sony ramped up the selling of legacy titles on their estore.

I'm actually kind of happy that there is no backwards compatibility with the PS4 and Xbox One. Truth be told, I'd rather those resources be put into making the new system as good as it can be rather than trying to make compromises to play the old titles which still play just fine on the existing systems. We'll probably get that feature through streaming, though that will of course mean re-purchases.

It's tough to say with the Wii U considering how it's sold to this point, but I wonder if being backwards compatible with the Wii has made a significant difference in purchase decisions one way or the other.

Again, a bit over-the-top and I don't think it's necessarily intentional. Most of the games I've tried have played just fine all things considered. There's no incentive for Microsoft to make backwards compatibility look bad since they stopped selling the original Xbox pretty quickly after release. It was more of a bullet point type of thing.

I have a launch PS3 with hardware-based backwards compatibility with PS1 and PS2 titles. That works well. It's true that Sony soon shifted to a poorer software-based model, then dropped support completely. That was clearly intentional since Sony ramped up the selling of legacy titles on their estore.

I'm actually kind of happy that there is no backwards compatibility with the PS4 and Xbox One. Truth be told, I'd rather those resources be put into making the new system as good as it can be rather than trying to make compromises to play the old titles which still play just fine on the existing systems. We'll probably get that feature through streaming, though that will of course mean re-purchases.

It's tough to say with the Wii U considering how it's sold to this point, but I wonder if being backwards compatible with the Wii has made a significant difference in purchase decisions one way or the other.

I think we basically agree. It's just my wording may have been a bit curt. M$ didn't have great compatibility at the start. It slowly grew but never reached the point where I could be confident a particular game would run. For me it was a game of hit or miss - and I usually lost.

Instead of focusing on general compatibility they micromanaged which titles get supported. This is intentional. It's the same tired crud that ruined remote play on the PSP. Only select titles were supported when it could have been as universal as, say, VNC for the PC.

It's the same tired crud that ruined remote play on the PSP. Only select titles were supported when it could have been as universal as, say, VNC for the PC.

It's proof that most gamers, don't care. You sound like you think they can't tell when their customers utilize the options given to them. Every time a gamer wanted to play an Xbox game on the Xbox 360...MS knew because they had to DL a file to allow that person to play the game. They realized very quickly it wasn't worth spending a lot of time and money on. You might think it was, many old gamers that collect vintage video games on outdated physical media might think it was also, there are millions of other gamers that don't. They make up the new new video game market. It's just a fact of life. Nothing is ruined. It's just different than what you are used to.

It's proof that most gamers, don't care. You sound like you think they can't tell when their customers utilize the options given to them. Every time a gamer wanted to play an Xbox game on the Xbox 360...MS knew because they had to DL a file to allow that person to play the game. They realized very quickly it wasn't worth spending a lot of time and money on. You might think it was, many old gamers that collect vintage video games on outdated physical media might think it was also, there are millions of other gamers that don't. They make up the new new video game market. It's just a fact of life. Nothing is ruined. It's just different than what you are used to.

I think it's more proof of M$ growing disconnect with its customers culminating in the XBone launch debacle. If I have to use an online service to "vote" for an offline feature then they've already failed.

Interest in backwards compatibility always wanes. That's just natural.

So with the way it was handled on the Xbox 360 where backwards compatibility wasn't an all in one solution and required special effort for each title to be made compatible with took time and money, I'm not surprised it didn't continue on until today.

That half the library saw some form of compatibility and that it continued being updated for several years tells me it did matter. If it hadn't, they'd of much more quickly killed support off when the numbers were disappointing.

But obviously as gamers become firmly entrenched in the next generation, they're going to look back less and less. The benefits of backwards compatibility come during those opening months and first couple of years. The only reason it didn't happen this time was the architecture change I suspect and I think Microsoft realized going the emulation route again was never going to pay off.

It's a good feature and one that makes money. But it can't break the bank, either.

Edited by Atariboy