IGNORED

Boulder Dash (R) For Intellivision

I did forget that Boulder Dash for the Atari was priced considerably higher than a typical release, what was it, $75? I cant remember...

Just out of curiosity (as I really don't know the answer): Was the 2600 version of Boulder Dash an officially licensed version? If so, that could also have contributed to its cost, as licenses tend to not be free, and for the quantities involved, can add materially to the selling price.

I don't know the licensing details for the Intellivision version; that's Elektronite / Classic Game Publisher's business. I just help with the hardware and provide technical and some limited manufacturing support.

I do know that it's officially licensed, and First Star had to sign off on the release (as mentioned earlier in this thread). As we've all seen, FSS & Elektronite went so far as to make a joint First Star / Elektronite press release once it finally did release. Kudos to everyone involved. :)

I'm not really part of the 2600 scene, so I honestly don't know anything about that release or how it compares to the Intellivision release.

Thomas, you did an amazing job on the 2600 version of Boulder Dash. I really look forward to anything that you do in the future, especially if it uses the same engine. I'm glad that I was able to get a copy of Boulder Dash for the 2600. I hope that the intellivision version is anywhere near as good as the 2600 version. I soon will be able to check it out for myself.

• Like 1

Homebrew puzzle games haven't been high sellers on the Intellivision lately unless they have cool graphics or a big name (such as Lost Caves of Kroz and Boulder Dash being the latter category).

s

I don't think that's necessarily true. Paddle Party and Match 5 are really good and popular games, but perhaps not at $70+ prices.

• Like 2

Received my copy last night. VERY well done. I have always liked, but not been a huge fan of, the game on other consoles. But this is a highly faithful port of a title that benefits from the Intellivision controllers. Plus, I really like the ability to start on a different cave than the first.

My only other two thoughts:

- Great "just one more game" feel

- Damn, this game is difficult, though I know that is a good thing in the long run.

Still only March, and yet I have purchased and received two homebrews. I think this is a banner year already!

I don't think that's necessarily true. Paddle Party and Match 5 are really good and popular games, but perhaps not at $70+ prices.

I agree that they are good games and I enjoy playing them. However, William has said several times that Match 5 didn't sell as well as his other games and has expressed overall concern over the market size for puzzle games. I don't know how well Paddle Party sold.

I print the label for domestic shipping from PayPal and it should send you an email when that is updated.

I do not ship from PayPal for international as I do not like how PayPal handles international shipping. I ship these from USPS.com and add the tracking number to the PayPal record. This should also generate an email to the purchaser.

Thanks for making a great video INTYMike!

Boulder Dash® for the Intellivision really pushes the system to its technical limits. We worked very hard on it.

We think that we've found the perfect balance between making an authentic port and dealing with the limitations of the machine.

For example, we could have put in fine scrolling, but would have had to remove the score bar display during game play. We felt the coarse scrolling was acceptable and certainly nowhere near as bad as the Colecovision port.

People have been reporting that they are quite impressed with the game and we feel that you won't be disappointed with its quality.

If you want to see more titles like this come out, please give us a vote of confidence and pick up a copy. Don't let it go out of print and miss out on it.

Lots of people have received their copies and we would love to hear their thoughts on the game.

• Like 3

Now that sounds like a challenge! Smooth scrolling while keeping the score up. It's been done, but it's tricky and not always possible depending on what exactly is being drawn to the screen. If only we lived in a world where code could be open sourced... ah well.

Not sure that it really matters here though. The game looks and sounds (at least from my memory) almost exactly like the C64 version, which is damned impressive. About the only noticeable differences are the colours on the diamonds and butterflies, which is an inevitability with the INTV. The sound effects are insanely well done.