IGNORED

For anyone else who got a DOA PS4....

KrazyKaiju

I've used mine for a few hours. No issues as of yet. I buy the idea that the bad ones may have come from one particular factory, because reportedly the batch that arrived at our local Gamestop have been working well. As for games, I was only interested in Drive Club, but since that was delayed, I got Need for Speed, which looks terrific and is OK in terms of gameplay (I prefer a true racer).

I picked PS4 over XBONE because of Sony's MLB The Show.

Edited by DoctorTom

I've used mine for a few hours. No issues as of yet. I buy the idea that the bad ones may have come from one particular factory, because reportedly the batch that arrived at our local Gamestop have been working well. As for games, I was only interested in Drive Club, but since that was delayed, I got Need for Speed, which looks terrific and is OK in terms of gameplay (I prefer a true racer).

I picked PS4 over XBONE because of Sony's MLB The Show.

Same factory? They alls come from Foxxconn.

Dude, if you got a PS4 with Kasumi sitting on it, it's going to be dead on arrival, no questions about it. She ain't that light.

All of this talk about Kasumi made me fire up DOA2 on Dreamcast. Kasumi, still delicious in all her unrealistic and cartoonish glory... she's the Jessica Rabbit of fighting games :D

I gave in and decided to keep mine...I opened the box, set it up and it runs very smoothly. I love the interface, and the look of the console/controller is awesome. The controller is a tremendous upgrade as well. Now I just need to get through all of the set-up and play some games! :)

I sometimes wonder if these reports are fictional of sorts, I still have my launch day 360 and PS3 60GB with PS2 HW inside, as well as a 120GB PS3 slim (first model). They work just fine, just like the PS4 I got on Saturday. In fact, I've never bought a console that had issues. Reminds me of the PSP, dead pixels this, deal pixels that. I have my launch PSP and a second one, both fine. My Vita is flawless, nothing wrong with my Nintendo consoles, ever. NADA! :ponder:

Still have this shirt...

dead_pixels.jpg

• Like 1

I bought my PS4 from Amazon and it works great. I even replaced the hard drive with a 750 gb 7200 rpm one. Been playing Need for Speed and its ok, its just not my cup of tea. Like what was said before it looks really good and plays fine. The controller and system menus are both great updates over the PS3 and it feels good know that I will never have to wait over 18 hours for a game, like GT5, to update and install again.

I did get the BLOD, but was able to reboot to safe mode, reset the resolution to 480p, reboot, then I could set the resolution to 1080p and go about my business with no trouble. It was to the point where I assumed that it might be my TV when I noticed that I had AnyNet+ turned on and it was trying to detect the PS4. I turned that off and last night it booted fine. However, when I went to shutdown it got "stuck" at the blue light and I had to pull the plug.

So tonight, when I got home from work, it started again, scanned the drive and then told me about the 1.51 update. After finishing the download, it said it was going to reboot and install it. Then it went back to the BLOD again and I couldn't get anything.

So I waited for a bit...restarted it again (not that it wouldn't start from the controller, I had to use the console itself) and everything came up and the update installed.

At this point, I'm fairly certain the problem isn't with my TV. I should mention I used another small 720p TV with an HDMI connection to test with the same results.

What I'm not sure of is if it's a hardware issue or a software issue.

Annnddddd.....I'm convinced something is wrong with the unit. Shortly after my post above, I was messing around with the playroom (trying to play peek-a-boo). The bots must not have liked it because I heard a loud buzz and the system shut off by itself.

Now, I can't get it to come back on. When I hit power, I'll just get the flashing blue light. If I hold onto the button, it just shuts off.

So I went back to Amazon to do an exchange and it can't because they are out of stock.

Ahh...but I have a trick up my sleeve. It's eligible to be returned through January and I do have another unit coming from Walmart next month. So, I'll stick it out for now and we'll see how things go.

Annnddddd.....I'm convinced something is wrong with the unit. Shortly after my post above, I was messing around with the playroom (trying to play peek-a-boo). The bots must not have liked it because I heard a loud buzz and the system shut off by itself.

Now, I can't get it to come back on. When I hit power, I'll just get the flashing blue light. If I hold onto the button, it just shuts off.

So I went back to Amazon to do an exchange and it can't because they are out of stock.

Ahh...but I have a trick up my sleeve. It's eligible to be returned through January and I do have another unit coming from Walmart next month. So, I'll stick it out for now and we'll see how things go.

That sucks dude. I wonder if it was one of the units that had the sabotaged thermal paste in it. Good luck exchanging it...

One of the reasons I only ever buy Nintendo consoles at launch. Far fewer issues as Nintendo hardware has an excellent track record with reliability. Yes, fanboyism I know. I also own a 160Gb PS3 Slim and it's a solid piece of tech.

On another forum, I read where an owner had contacted Amazon customer service and that they had shipped them a replacement console with overnight shipping. So before I went to bed, I sent an e-mail explaining the issues I was having.

This morning, I received an e-mail from them and they have placed a replacement order on my behalf and it's supposed to be here tomorrow. No ship it back first...though they are supposed to be sending me another e-mail with instructions for me to send back the "defective" unit.

So evidently, Amazon has kept back some units to use for replacements. If you're having difficulty with yours, and if you purchased it from Amazon, you might give it a try.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if these reports are fictional of sorts, I still have my launch day 360 and PS3 60GB with PS2 HW inside, as well as a 120GB PS3 slim (first model). They work just fine, just like the PS4 I got on Saturday. In fact, I've never bought a console that had issues. Reminds me of the PSP, dead pixels this, deal pixels that. I have my launch PSP and a second one, both fine. My Vita is flawless, nothing wrong with my Nintendo consoles, ever. NADA! :ponder:

I'm sure with some cases the reports are indeed fictional, or at least the cause of the issue is. Like how someone might report their new console was DOA without mentioning how their toddler sat on it.

Overheating consoles could in some cases be the case of the owner leaving it turned on the entire weekend accidently in the middle of a hot humid summer. Those details are sure to be left out when trying to get it replaced/repaired for free.

I've never had issues with my consoles thus far either, at least the ones I've bought new. But then I make sure I take good care of them as well.