IGNORED

Xbox One may now be worth it

cimerians

I'm pretty sure the promise was two free games per month through 2013. Gears of War and Shoot Many Robots in December, then that's it. Unless, they're now continuing the promotion further?

I'd have to look for it, but yes, they did release an official statement saying that they'd continue it indefinitely. No word yet on if/when it will carry into the Xbox One.

You know, when I was a kid, I was snoop around till I found my gifts and in some cases (like Atari games) I would actually open them up and play them! Back in those days you didn't just have a thin piece of tape sealing the box, so I often had to glue the box tops back shut!! So anyways...yeah just sayin.

BTW You have a real keeper of a wife!! LOL

I have enough patience that I don't need to pry open the box and then tape it back. Besides I would have to do it when I should be at work. I'll live. And she is a keeper... 14 years so far. It might not last much longer if she continues holding consoles hostage though.

A digital item - as long as it's still accessible - is all but guaranteed to be there. As we've talked about on here, we have yet to see a major digital store/service go away. Once that inevitably happens, there will be quite a few repercussions, which may ultimately lead to more future proof digital ownership (at least as much as that's practical).

Did everybody forget about xbox being discontinued? Or did literally nobody buy anything for it? I was a little disappointed that many of my favorite games online modes got discontinued, but I never purchased a game over live so I can't really complain.

I know, I know, "but live wasn't big" yeah, probably not. It was just the biggest such service at it's time, but you right, it wasn't anything really.

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that would qualify as a service distributor being discontinued....or am I wrong in assuming you can't access it to redownload a game if something happens to yours? Has anyone tried recently? Anybody have any actual experience to that matter?

Of course, there's probably more people on live now than there were consoles sold of the original xbox, so things might change when they drop the current service. And notice, I said when not if

Edited by Video

No one forgot about either the Dreamcast or the first Xbox's respective online services being discontinued (and in fact we mentioned it previously in this thread), but no, they don't really count as "major" in the sense of digital ownership like we have now. If an Xbox LIVE for 360 or PSN for PS3 or Steam for PC, etc., went away, then we'd have real repurcussions. Proto services don't really count because they either didn't have mass penetration or didn't have the same types of offerings we have now. Not being able to play a game online is a lot different than being denied access to purchased digital content.

Did everybody forget about xbox being discontinued? Or did literally nobody buy anything for it? I was a little disappointed that many of my favorite games online modes got discontinued, but I never purchased a game over live so I can't really complain.

My Xbox was never hooked up to the Internet. Every game I own still works the same as it ever did.

Well I have Counter-Strike for the original Xbox and I can only play against bots (unless I set up a game on Xlink Kai!) I had Xbox Live pre-ordered and I played a lot of games on Live. I definitely miss it. You cannot download anything from Live with the original Xbox. You can't establish any sort of connection. You can obtain all DLC from certain places around the interwebs. You have to mod your console to install any of it but it is very easy to do and I don't see any reason not to at this point.

As for the 360, I do believe that Live will be available for the 360 for considerably longer than it was for the Xbox. The lifespan of the console was longer, it is still being produced and supported after the new console has been released, it has a larger library, it sold much better, many many more people paid for online services. The reasons are there and the profit motive is likely there as well. Keep in mind that MS maintained access to Live for 5 years after they ceased production of the Xbox. Having said that they will disconnect it eventually. It's inevitable.

I never purchase retail Xbox games through Xbox Live. If I can purchase a disc version I will always go that route. And if I do purchase it on physical media it damn well better work whether I'm online or not.

No one forgot about either the Dreamcast or the first Xbox's respective online services being discontinued (and in fact we mentioned it previously in this thread), but no, they don't really count as "major" in the sense of digital ownership like we have now.

I would agree with Bill after stopping and thinking about it. I loved the DC and Xbox, but rarely did anything online. (I think I messed with the DC web browser once, years ago) If MS just cuts loose all ties to previous DLC, it'll be a PR nightmare. I've been an Amazon Prime member for years now. every bit of DLC I've ever bought from them, is still accessible to this day. I could watch/listen to it on the 360, I can still watch/listen to it on the One. Not having access to DLC to a MAJOR step backwards in my opinion. Granted, I don't actually play even 5% of those older games or even the content I bought on Amazon, but it sure is comforting to know I can if I choose to. Totally abandoning pre-purchased digital content is a sure way to NOT move forward into the future. I'll be expressing my opinion to MS, I cant even watch previously purchased TV shows!. How hard would it be to play previously purchased 360 Live games and movies on the One?

I never bought anything like Feeding Frenzy, Marble Blast, and Ms. Pac-Man that the first XBLA got (Although I had the XBLA disc and did download some demos), but I did buy some DLC for retail games.

I purchased the Paris and Long Beach booster packs for Project Gotham Racing 2 (Which was far more ambitious than the typical DLC we see these days) and the add-on courses for Links 2004. I even rebought the two PGR2 packs on a second Xbox a few days before the end of XBL for a spare.

Plus there was a good number of patches and free DLC additions for games like RalliSport Challenge 2, the Halo 2 map packs were always made free after a time, etc. So I was sad that they couldn't at least leave a bit of the infrastructure up and segregated from the rest of Xbox Live to host these files.

At least the homebrewers have the original Xbox covered.

Edited by Atariboy

We know that XBLA started on the original Xbox (I was one of the original beta testers - we got a nice version of Re/Volt to tool around with that they never released), but my point is, the handful of games it got and its majoritive use for online match play did not represent a significant impact when it was discontinued, much like the Dreamcast.

As to the other points, it remains to be seen if we'll ever Xbox One be able to emulate XBLA content from the Xbox 360, but it's not likely, at least directly. Much like with the PS4, we're far more likely to get access to games through streaming technology than straight up emulation. You can likely emulate the first Xbox and PS2/PS1, but it's unlikely there's sufficient power this generation to effectively emulate Xbox 360 and PS3. Streaming the games (like OnLive) should work just fine, but at the same time they'll almost certainly make us pay a subscription fee of some type or re-buy the games on an individual basis. The argument will be that if you already own it on 360 or PS3, then you simply play it on there like you always have.

it remains to be seen if we'll ever Xbox One be able to emulate XBLA content from the Xbox 360

If they were ever going to freely emulate the 360 for consumers, they'd of been ready at launch in my opinion. The period where backwards compatibility for a console is most important is the point that they're at right now.

Like you acknowledged is far more likely, it's going to have to be streaming if it happens.

Edited by Atariboy

KOTOR had not insubstantial DLC. Whole new area. It was just a vendor town but the station itself was new.

I wouldn't call Halo 2's DLC insignificant either.

Not dismissing the point as 360's offerings are clearly larger but I am one of many of longtime Xbox gamers that was greatly annoyed by the end of life for original Xbox online.

Not just XBLA, but all of the patches and game expansions as well.

For the Halo fans, it's a shame that map expansion that saw a retail release didn't come slightly later. As I recall, it released with the second to last wave of map add-ons. So everything is there except the last set of them.

Edited by Atariboy

That still all remains to be seen. We haven't had one of these major services (Steam, XBLA, PSN, eShop, etc.) shut down access to their games as of yet, so we don't know how that will handled. Surely there will be some pain once the first major service drops out, which will hopefully lead to more elegant exit strategies in the future. Right now, we simply don't know. With that said, I'm willing to take the chance for the convenience. For better or worse, the time to fight an all-digital future has long since passed.

Agreed that the time to fight an all D'L future is passed. I find it even more disturbing that Office Suites and Photoshop are subscription based. Perhaps moreso than games. It has always been my philosophy to have a physical copy of any software I run, this means a cd disc, file on hdd, rom cartridge, floppy, printout, paper punch-tape, cassette.. Some form of copy I can keep and maintain control of. And of course this includes the ability to install it, activate it, and use all functions without the internet. I mean like my cable modem could explode or something and I don't want to be left out in the cold. I guess I'm too oldschool. But this modus operandi has served me extraordinarily well throughout the years. It has been useful when transitioning hardware.

But for gaming - an elegant solution to a service going away might be to have the mfg create a patch to your game console. And then push everything you ever had (online) to your console. They could lock it to the specific hardware you have. Or provide you with some sort of security key. They would ideally do all this 6 months prior to shutdown. Furthermore, for a price, they could send you optical media containing your previously purchased media.

They could even release some sort of framework or source-code or kit or specifications to allow hackers to re-create a server or simulated server. This would allow for gameplay of mmorpg and head-2-head games alike.

A modern-day example of this is none other than Photoshop CS2. Adobe didn't want to support the activation servers anymore or had problems with it on newer software platforms or something like that. So they posted all the CS2 material (not just photoshop) and a set of activation keys. While it was intended for authorized owners with licenses, you can bet many users and noobs took advantage of that and now have the complete CS2 on their systems. Quasi-legally, if you want to drill down into the matter.

I personally thought it was a great move and helped build brand reputation.

I would have used games as an example instead of an Office suite or Photoshop, but I don't have any modern game consoles. I tend to develop nostalgia for anything videogame related, and I'd rather not have a huge library of games that is taken away from me at some distant future. Besides, the wife doesn't approve of videogames in the house. She claims videogames have the potential to degrade a man into a mamma's boy that can't handle responsibility. But perplexingly, I've been permitted to keep, maintain, enjoy, and grow(from time to time) my Apple II collection and classic emulation material.

I suppose it's a good thing otherwise I'd have hoarded myself to death under 4 full rooms made un-navigable by piles upon piles of garbage and electronics. Ohhhff (shudder) nasssssteeee! As a matter of fact we're still disposing of hardware and stuff from two garages and a second basement. The attic is next. Bit by bit. But that's a topic for another time.

Most of the downloadable games on the Xbox 360 that I have paid for were more than 5 bucks. But no matter how much they were, if you like a game that isn't available on future consoles, that sucks. Are we supposed to be like an emotionless robot with no likes and dislikes that just plays whatever is in front of us?

I'm afraid to say so, but the answer is a definitive and resounding yes. This business model seems to be an efficient method of feeding the corporate machine and allows efficient transfer of your money to big business. Subscription models, DLC, renting software.. It all serves one purpose. And it is important that you make your monthly or yearly contribution!