IGNORED

Super Mario 3D World reviews

xg4bx

Mario Sunshine is a great platformer, but the FLUDD pack has a learning curve in that it takes a while playing to get proficient at it, and certain shines within the game can be frustrating. That said, Super Mario Sunshine is an awesome platformer once you get into the game. It's also fun trying to find all the blue coins; you'll find them hidden in all sorts of nooks and crannies. It's got some of the most gorgeous visuals in any of the Game Cube games IMO. Unlike Galaxy series, which are awesome, Sunshine / Isle Delphino feels like it could actually be a real Island, with an Italian tropical vibe to it. You can even walk to the border of an area and see other areas within the game.

Ok tried this game today. Pretty frustrating. .. worst part is playing 3 players one is always in a bubble too far behind.. also when flag jump at end. Hard to get more than one player to finish.. this gets my 5yr old crying and she runs to her room.. so cant play it for awhile.. maybe they could have given more than a half second delay for the end pole to finish the game??

Extremely hard to tell where enemys are to jump on them.. continued before world 1 was over.. I can be ass kicked by little mushrooms and killed easily in the holes everywhere.. the cat suit is rarely on due to numerous deaths.. nice graphics tho..

Get better. :)

In all seriousness, get the cat suit. Attack with the cat suit. No jumping needed to kill enemies that way.

Also, I'd recommend playing solo for a bit. I think the game might be more difficult to get the hang of when you have three other people screwing up whatever you are trying to do. It's very chaotic with even just two players.

I finally unwrapped the game last night (Christmas).

I'm a few levels into World 3 and haven't game over'd yet, but I only have 12 lives in stock so I'm not exactly p'wning the game either, nor have I revisited any easy levels with the intent of 1UP farming. I have witnessed the superguide block on one troublesome scrolling level with clouds and fences in World 3, but so far I have not utilized it. I can't comment on multiplayer tacktics because I've only played single player so far. I take it you run into items like Koopa shells to pick them up, etc, yet you can also use the same mechanic to pick up other players. It does seem odd design choice indeed, especially if hitting the button again throws the player off a ledge. Had the designers given the game proper analog control, a combined button for running and attacking would not be necessary, and the button could be exclusively used for attack/grab. Maybe they could patch this bug by requiring a player to stand still in order to be picked up?

Depending on the level, I would recommend Peach or Mario. Mario is balanced physics overall and Peach is slower but has the hover jump that can help you avoid pits easier. Luigi has poor traction and IMO his slightly higher jump is not a great enough advantage to sacrifice handling. Avoid Luigi like the plague on ice levels. When you get the cat suit, you can attack enemies on the ground with your claws by tapping (not holding) the run button. This avoids the whole "jump and hope you land correctly" issue. I didn't even learn this mechanic until after I completed World 1. Nobody to blame but myself as I still haven't touched the digital manual yet. Using your claws for ground attacks makes it much easier to hold onto the cat suit. You can also blow away micro-goombas and other small enemies with the microphone. Useful to know because they tend to attackin swarms. The control stick is wierd. It seems to operate like a 16-way joystick rather than a true analog. Tilting the stick a little bit will walk the same speed as full tilt, making control feel a bit odd for a 3D platformer. Normally I prefer the D-pad for games with digital controls for better precision, but doing so only allows for 8 directions instead of 16. One advantage is this makes it much easier to walk or even run across thin ledges without fear of falling, but even with 16 cardinal directions, running around with free range movement does feel a bit klutzy. As far as jumping on enemies, watch your shadow. It is always directly underneath your character. You can also use it to unleash ground pounds. Again, the 16-way freedom or movement takes some getting used to since you can't truly modulate speed simply by tilting less.

Overall, the game is awesome, but it seems multiplayer is unnecessary and shoe-horned in, despite the level design semi-revolving around it. I wouldn't recommend multiplayer for inexperienced players (and generally the guest players are far less experienced than the host). All in all I really feel this nitpicking is doing the game a great disservice, as I believe it is worthy of a 9 in my book (not quite a 10 as some reviewers have awarded it). Just enjoy the game for the excellent single-player experience that it is, and don't expect miracles in multiplayer mode. Stick to NSMB-U and Super Luigi U for multiplayer parties.

Edited by stardust4ever

Actually all multiplayer on all smb games is wrong to me.. Should be able to go thru the other player. As dumb as that sounds would work. No more platform pushing off, jump denying in mid jump, throwing off ledges and to the players death in a hole or enemy.

I play with my 5 and 10 year old girls. I have been playing mario before smb was invented and when they did come up with smb, played the hell outa it. So playing with my kids I mistakenly turn into Ahole father and have to shut the game down. Usually only makes it one or two levels on whatever world then game is not played for weeks. As the whole idea of these game is for family fun. Which is never experienced with ANY mario game.

I could maybe see it sometimes working with experienced players, but still the cheap continuous deaths would be too much and all fun is lost.

Actually another way this game screws up on is the bubble part when get too far behind, usually lose all lives respawning over holes or spikes or whatnot.

Disservice talking critical of the game?

Tons of people who sit in front of screen do it on their own time which invalidates all my points.

Very few multiplayer on the same console in comparison. Thus is why multiplayer is never really well done for almost all games. Lack of time and importance. Its almost always an add on. Lets throw in 3 more sprites in the SAME world. How can that work?? Well it doesn't!

Respawning over spikes and pits is typically caused by operator error. They can usually steer their own bubble by a limited extent, then pop it when they touch a live player. Just make sure you're standing on terra firma so they can catch up.

And no, I don't believe non-interaction between players is any fun. That basically makes it like a "ghost" race. You say you've been playing Mario since before Mario was invented. Then I assume you've played the arcade classics Mario Brothers where Mario and Luigi kick turtles in the sewer. There you have the choice of working together to clear a stage or compete to get the most loot and KO each other. Balloon fight and Joust are other examples of a similar combat or work together concept.

Nintendo has been trying to get that multiplayer aesthetic back into Super Mario games ever since. Just like the original arcade Mario Bros, work together or sabotage each other. I've even grabbed some rather stubborn star coins in the NSMB Wii game by throwing my friend down a pit. All's fair in love and war!

Try giving your daughters some platforming practice by letting them play solo for a while, 2D or 3D, modern or retro. Earlier I recommended M64 for a beginner course on 3D platform mechanics, if your girls don't mind the blocky visuals. And any 2D Mario game new or retro is good for mastering 2D mechanics.

Let the girls take turns playing or go simultaneous, and be their "coach" rather than joining in. Super Mario/Luigi U allows the gamepad player to sit back and insert helpful items such as platforms, etc into the game. You could use this mechanic to aid your daughters as they play.

Today I just let them play by themselves. One at a time it seemed to work good. They made it to world 4 no problem. Had to defeat the boss twice because she held up on the anolog when going for the goalpost and jumped off the screen. I guess too used to 2d mario games.

Its pretty good for my 5yr old girl can do the first couple levels by herself.

The goombas are relentless, esp when they go thru tubes. And there fast!! Like never before.. your character is kinda slow even when running.. I think they are harder than some bosses. So are the freaking bees!!

Good 3d exp.. crash bandicoot or dr muto they played lots.. lots of wtf jumps in those games..

Edited by Jinks