IGNORED

XM - any chance it will be in our hands by Christmas?

thursday83

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214684-7800xms-just-checking-in/page-3?do=findComment&comment=2837572

From what transpired and still needs to be accomplished, it appears there may be at least a few months until we see the XM.

"...still have a lot to do and the programmers came back with some good feedback on some things, so those ideas and changes will be implemented, now it looks like some compatibility testing with the several versions of the 7800's will have to also be done."

Maybe a pass-through cartridge design with a POKEY slot would be good enough for the homebrew community in the meantime.

The XM isn't a trivial matter. That's a lot of testing and debugging and that takes time, not to mention all of the engineering Curt has already done plus all of the manufacturing logistics. The idea above could be a good halfway point for the community by promoting the use of POKEY without going through the wasteful route of sticking a chip into each cartridge while waiting for the eventual release of the XM...

Of course, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of Ballblazer carts on eBay to use as a source for those chips...

Edited by Lynxpro

Everyone in the know has seen the link, Corby. No need for sarcasm. The link isn't updated, hence the initial question. Everyone gets up in arms regarding this subject - I don't see the issue in asking the question. It's ok to ask. It's ok.

I thought the same exact thing a while back...then, after posting my question, I looked out my window...

post-29022-0-69741400-1385250577_thumb.jpg

:lolblue:

• Like 3

He really should put a year on those status updates since there is obviously more than one year involved.

I'll help :)

9-30-10 first Status update

10-4-13 last Status update

17 Status updates in 2011

6 Status updates in 2012

4 Status updates in 2013

I am not defending nor advocating the situation. I have ordered this long ago and am patiently awaiting this project to the end. I know that many would like this project to have already been done. At this point, I am willing to wait longer. This is how some of the more ambitious homebrew projects go. I tell myself if I wait that I will have something truly unique that few will own. For me its worth the time and investment that I did years ago to just hold on. I also already have one game that I bought that needs this to play with sound, so why not wait more.

Edited by swlovinist
  • Like 3

I think anyone who has encountered the "KickStarter Experience", has learned to temper their expectations of optimism to the very probable reality of delays, compromise and possible dissappointment - somewhat, anyways.

My GameStick will be here any day... I just know it! ;) (I'll enjoy my OUYA, in the mean-time. Whew.)

Everyone in the know has seen the link, Corby. No need for sarcasm. The link isn't updated, hence the initial question. Everyone gets up in arms regarding this subject - I don't see the issue in asking the question. It's ok to ask. It's ok.

It's okay to ask. Absolutely.

It's not okay to fill the forum with pointless threads though when there are multiple threads about the XM already where you could post the question. That totally sucks and turns the board into a mess with the same topics discussed over countless threads needlessly.

It's okay to ask. Absolutely.

It's not okay to fill the forum with pointless threads though when there are multiple threads about the XM already where you could post the question. That totally sucks and turns the board into a mess with the same topics discussed over countless threads needlessly.

Very true , but arent they all locked ?

• Like 3

Well, this one is open, last post November 13t:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214684-7800xms-just-checking-in/page-4

And this one too, with a post from November 14th:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173454-7800-expansion-module-xm-hardware-game-details-112612/page-9

I absolutely understand people wanting more info, but I don't think starting a new thread will make Curt specify a release date any more than the questions in the existing topics do. I think this is a bit of a general problem on AA, people starting threads on existing topics either because they don't want to search or because I don't know what. That leads to discussions being scattered through several threads, and people asking questions that might have already been answered elsewhere. It would be easier to keep track of what's happening if we could all just try to keep one thread per topic.

BTW, just to put a finger into the wound... I played a few XM games on Saturday, on a real XM. Amazing stuff! :P

Well, this one is open, last post November 13t:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/214684-7800xms-just-checking-in/page-4

And this one too, with a post from November 14th:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173454-7800-expansion-module-xm-hardware-game-details-112612/page-9

I absolutely understand people wanting more info, but I don't think starting a new thread will make Curt specify a release date any more than the questions in the existing topics do. I think this is a bit of a general problem on AA, people starting threads on existing topics either because they don't want to search or because I don't know what. That leads to discussions being scattered through several threads, and people asking questions that might have already been answered elsewhere. It would be easier to keep track of what's happening if we could all just try to keep one thread per topic.

BTW, just to put a finger into the wound... I played a few XM games on Saturday, on a real XM. Amazing stuff! :P

As is the way with many online forums with very a specific niche the problem goes both ways with the grumpiest of members. Some people complain about too many topics on the same subject, and chew out new users for starting new threads. Some people make a big deal about people bumping really old threads "necro-bumping" as it were, because apparently this violates some kind of unwritten message board etiquette rule or something.

I find the best way to deal with it is to ignore both sides and post comments or questions wherever the hell I feel like it, and let people with a hair across their ass about complain to their heart's content.

As for the XM, I would like to buy one, but I can't because according to all the threads i read lately, sales are suspended until its actually released. I can understand that, but that is a bit concerning, since previously everyone was told there would be plenty left for the people who didn't pre-purchase it. Guess we will all have to continue to wait and see.

• Like 1

Well, my apologies. I should have never asked from the start. This whole thread has gone ultra sensitive, as well as the other ones, forget about it, this is ridiculous and people are typically acting immature-ish in their retorts. Sorry for asking - I'm not following all of these threads 24 hours a day, I work 90 hours a week and enjoy my Atari when I get home late at night from my job. For maybe 30-60 minutes once a week. My sincerest apologies for being excited to receive the product I paid for over 3 years ago. And I'll wait another 2 years, without complaint. And ask any of the programmers, I pay for all of the products the day they come out, and support them to the end. I just was wondering behind the scenes when I could hear what the Donkey Kong XM game sounds like really, since I have the cartridge in hand. I don't think I was that wrong in making a post, but since these flames keep coming from snarky heads, I'll know in the future that I should keep my mouth shut and not post or contribute any thoughts in this forum anymore. I'll still PM programmers and support, and keep my questions to myself. I am very sorry to upset anyone on this forum, I'm a big fan of AA.

• Like 4

I'll know in the future that I should keep my mouth shut and not post or contribute any thoughts in this forum anymore.

Oh good..

As long as you're taking it so well, then that's great..

Dude... Relax.. Decaf maybe?

You asked..

Got lots of answers... Some flames..

This is the internet..

That's a win for you.. ;-)

desiv

• Like 1