IGNORED

Atari Flashback 64 Special Edition

I wish they'd do something with the 8 bit Atari line. Between many great versions of familiar classics and the large number of people that had some experience with it somewhere down the line in 5200 form, XEGS form, or one of the computers, I would think that the nostalgia factor is covered.

• Like 1

I wish they'd do something with the 8 bit Atari line. Between many great versions of familiar classics and the large number of people that had some experience with it somewhere down the line in 5200 form, XEGS form, or one of the computers, I would think that the nostalgia factor is covered.

That would be a good one in my opinion, but it has relatively lackluster sales numbers and lack of nostalgia working against it. I could see it working if they branded it generically as "Atari Home Classics" or something like that, rather than trying to play off any of the Atari 8-bit branding.

Bill, ever hear from AtGames about things like HD output and HDMI out as considerations for future revisions? That seems like the natural evolution for these things as composite SD out gets further outdated and irrelevant.

Plus for many HDTV's that these get played on, it ruins the picture from these devices by default which means that they're automatically starting out with 1 hand tied behind their back in trying to satisfy the general public with these.

I could see it working if they branded it generically as "Atari Home Classics" or something like that, rather than trying to play off any of the Atari 8-bit branding.

I thought about that as I was writing that post but then thought of things like the Atari Flashback 4. They're not plastering Atari VCS or 2600 anywhere that I can recall except in smallish print on the back of the box despite being the product line that the general public thinks of when they think Atari.

So if they're not taking full advantage of that connection for a product when it can boost their sales, I don't think they'd even need to tie in an Atari 8 bit Flashback with any of the original product lines. Just keep it generic like you said.

A lot of people played those games too on one system or another and are going to go "I remember that!" when they fire it up. Plus even if it's not necessarily the version of Centipede or Missile Command that they remember, it's still Centipede and Missile Command.

Got to do something new eventually like license Activision titles for the 2600 or my suggestion or Atari Flashback sales will just dry up. Or they've perhaps already given up on real advances and are just milking it as it declines which I imagine is a possibility.

Edited by Atariboy

They're not marketing these Atari 2600 based ones as the Atari Flashback 2600 or Atari Flashback VCS. Plain old Atari Flashback # would suffice since there's nothing in their current naming pattern that makes any direct connection to the 2600. So why would a 8 bit based version require one?

But Atari Flashback SuperSystem does have a nice ring to it although I'm sure that they'd be going with computer versions and their existing 2600 joystick designs if they ever did make such a thing. And if they go with that name, it's just a nice sounding name to differentiate it from earlier versions anyways since that connection will go unnoticed by 95% of their customers.

There's no value in the SuperSystem name. But I do think that there's value with their 8 bit library. Especially the arcade style 1st party games and the arcade ports of Atari coinops.

Edited by Atariboy

Do you know if the usb Atari joystick works with the OUYA emulator?

I think so. This works also http://www.retrousb.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=70&osCsid=6404eb53f609872199ed3623ae7a8735 You will need to re-map it in the emulator using the touch pad on OUYA controler or keyboard. Info here:http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?3673-LIST-Controllers-That-Work-With-OUYA&p=56585&viewfull=1#post56585

• 2 weeks later...

You'll see another Atari 2600 Flashback (and more Sega stuff), as well as Intellivision and ColecoVision, in 2014. For the reasons mentioned elsewhere, it's extremely unlikely most other platforms will ever be targeted, at least by AtGames. There's an outside shot we may see some arcade and Commodore-themed (C-64 and Amiga) products, but I know of nothing else that's being actively considered.

Hi Bill. Can you tell us any more about the Intellivision and ColecoVision products, or are you bound to secrecy?

I would also like to know about any other Sega related projects. I recently picked up the At Games Arcade Gamer Portable, which features Master System and Game Gear games. It had me wondering if they would make a Master System Plug and Play.

• Like 1

I can reveal what has already been made public. Besides apps and a potential streaming service, AtGames is definitely releasing ColecoVision and Intellivision plug and play consoles similar to the Atari Flashback and Sega products, i.e., with fairly authentic controls and styling. There will also be additional Atari Flashback and Sega products, though no Master System plug and play (that's typically combined with Game Gear games into handheld products). As always, they'll license as many games as they're able to, though that of course precludes some of the bigger names (no Donkey Kong on the ColecoVision product for obvious reasons, for instance). At this point it appears that the Intellivision plug and play console is further along than the ColecoVision product, but I have no idea of timing. For those wondering, these first iterations of the ColecoVision and Intellivision plug and play consoles will NOT have SD card slots (and obviously no slots of any kind). If these do well, I wouldn't rule it out for future versions of the product.

• Like 2

Do they negate the cartridge slot in hopes of making a 2nd version of their PNP with a FEW different games, just to rake in more money? I can see the strategy, even if I do not like it.

I mean, after all, if they give you an open platform, then the profits from you end with that one system, because you will either download the games, use your old carts, or just go to eBay for more games, not buy the next incarnation the next year.

Speaking of ATARI FLASHBACK 64, are there enough games on it to justify keeping it if I already have the 1st AFB? I was thinking of taking it back, since I have yet to play it, and I think I overspent this month.

Edited by Falconhood

Do they negate the cartridge slot in hopes of making a 2nd version of their PNP with a FEW different games, just to rake in more money? …

Correct me if I'm wrong. Emulated systems can't run actual cartridges. (Flashback 3, 4)

Systems on a chip ( Nintendo on a Chip), ( Genesis On a Chip), those can run actual cartridges.

Do they negate the cartridge slot in hopes of making a 2nd version of their PNP with a FEW different games, just to rake in more money? I can see the strategy, even if I do not like it.

I mean, after all, if they give you an open platform, then the profits from you end with that one system, because you will either download the games, use your old carts, or just go to eBay for more games, not buy the next incarnation the next year.

Speaking of ATARI FLASHBACK 64, are there enough games on it to justify keeping it if I already have the 1st AFB? I was thinking of taking it back, since I have yet to play it, and I think I overspent this month.

The first Atari Flashback is by far the worst of the bunch, though it is the only model that features (and likely will ever feature) 7800 games. The Atari Flashback 64 plays the same (when they line up) Atari 2600 games far better than the Flashback 1. Future Atari Flashbacks are highly unlikely to have cartridge slots, but SD card slots are a possibility. I'm just not sure it's going to make it into the next hardware release.

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong. Emulated systems can't run actual cartridges. (Flashback 3, 4)

Systems on a chip ( Nintendo on a Chip), ( Genesis On a Chip), those can run actual cartridges.

I have no idea. I took the wrong path in college after loosing a fiddle contest in Georgia to the Devil, and am now a public school teacher. I totally could have become a computer engineer, had the apt for it, but not the knowledge...but if you tell me, I'll know.

Is there any information on whether these new products will be available for sale outside of the United States?

We Canadians have both Wal-Mart and Target, but their product lines are just pale imitations of the American stores. :(

For example, I've seen exactly two Flashbacks available for retail sale -- one was at a thrift shop and the other was at a used game store. Both were, presumably, originally privately imported.

• 1 month later...

Flashback 64 should be a Jaguar system. Do the math icon_wink.gif

Technically, you could dump the cartridge ROM to system RAM and run it from there. However you may run into problems with various on-cartridge chips.

• 2 months later...

While I love the idea of these reproduction consoles, it's a shame that most of them are not programmable. Removable cartridges with different games was the whole point of the VCS, do you didn't have go buy all new hardware when you wanted new software.

I'm intrigued by the Coleco and Intellivision consoles because of their unique controllers, but otherwise I'm a fan of OUYA and Nvidia Shield for old-style gaming on new hardware.

• 2 weeks later...