IGNORED

Controller issue on the Xbox One

moycon

Had something weird happen to me tonight.

While playing Dead Rising 3, my menu screen suddenly popped up. I started to look down at my controller, but then it went back to the playfield. I quickly realized I was moving forward into a group of zombies, but couldn't use the controller at all. I finally looked down. The controller was off. I'm assuming the batteries went dead. Are there no indications when that happens!? Worse, why would it just leave me in the game with no way to control anything!? Luckily I didn't die, I was down to a couple bars of health but was able to hook up a cable and pause everything while I tried to figure out what was going on.

I assumed it was dead batteries, but was kind of upset there was no warning, or maybe even a pause of the game with a message (Your controller is disconnected)

Something else I noticed. While using the wired controller, the shake function of the controller didn't work. Usually a zombies grabs you, you can shake the controller and break the hold. Didn't work while wired up. Suckage.

Anyone else notice this? Wondering if it's just Dead Rising.

I was playing Forza this morning and noticed the controller wasn't rumbling at all. Replaced the batteries and the rumble was back on. As far as I can tell the only indication of the batteries running low is lack of rumble. The AA batteries that came with the controller lasted well over 20 hours, but the handy little battery meter the Xbox 360 had would be nice.

I think it usually does pause the Dead Rising 3 game, thinking about it, I've issues with the game unpausing itself when I've paused and walked away. I assumed it had something to do with Kinect picking up a sound and unpausing the game for whatever reason. I ment to turn off the Kinect. That is possible what happened here. The game suddenly went to menu screen because the controller died, but then went back to the game, maybe because I said something out loud like "What the hell" and it unpaused without being able to control the character any more.

In any case, I'm playing Marvel Lego and when the controller shut off it popped up to a screen that said the controller was disconnected and to continue it needed to be reconnected. I think they need to patch Dead Rising 3 to do the same. Like Major Havoc 2049 stated, it still a bit buggy.

I prefer a replacable battery vs a built in battery. If the batteries run dead in my Xbox or Wii controllers, I snag a couple of charged AAs from my charger and I am up and running in a few seconds. For my PS3 I ended up buying a couple extra controllers and a charging station. I think the PS3 had to be on to charge a controller, not sure if this was updated or not.

The controllers take AA batteries?? Wow!

Something you would expect from a 1983 atari 2600 wireless controller.

You prefer built in, non replaceable batteries that when the batteries stop taking a charge, you just throw out whatever they power?

Wii u pro controller 80h battery life.

ps3 rechargeable as well.. throw out controllers battery dead? Never heard of it. I perfer not screwing around with battery covers searching for aa batteries.

wiimote just buy the recharge stand dealy and forget buying batteries.

all internal batteries eventually stop taking charges.

If you've never heard of that, not sure what to tell you. Eventually you'll either have to replace the battery that won't take a charge, but usually it's just as cheap to buy a new controller. I'm not just talking about controllers either. mp3 players, cell phones etc... I'm shocked in this day and age you've never had an internal battery that stop taking charges.

Wii u pro controller 80h battery life.

ps3 rechargeable as well.. throw out controllers battery dead? Never heard of it. I perfer not screwing around with battery covers searching for aa batteries.

Rechargeable batteries eventually loose their ability to store a charge. It's inevitable. I use rechargeable in all my controllers....their called Sanyo Eneloop AAs. Their great, and when they slowly (and eventually) start to loose a charge I refresh them in my battery charger. Can't do that with proprietary rechargeables. I have had to throw away a few Xbox 360 proprietary rechargeable batteries after repeated/prolonged use once they no longer hold a charge.

Edited by Metal Ghost

Yeah I heard of replacing my cell phone battery after 2 years. I never had a controller fail yet. But then again I dont use consoles enough to have to replace those batteries. To me Aa batt is a laugh. I asked a guy at work and he was shocked" what?" He said "xbox still hasnt got rechargeable controllers?" Seems backwards.

You do have a point that you like constantly replacing AA batteries and the internal batteries are expensive. But honestly I have never heard of replacing a controller battery from any ps3 user. They all usually have 4 controllers and switch between them all.

replacing my cell phone battery, But honestly I have never heard of replacing a controller battery from any ps3 user.

Yeah, you use your phone often, and daily I'm guessing, a lot of people here use their controller often and daily. They are hardcore gamers so that makes sense. Just like your phone batteries eventually need replacing, controller batteries stop taking charges usually after a couple/few years and need to be either serviced, or replaced. Either choice is a hell of a lot more than buying new rechargeable AA batteries. My advice, start playing more video games so you are more in the know, or get some new friends that have a clue.

I suggest the former!

Yeah I always just charge my PS3 controller using my laptop instead of the system itself. That way I can still sit the same distance away from the TV as usual when in wired mode, or I can charge the controller while the system is off.

It is the luck of the draw but some iPods, laptops, PS3 controllers etc. can last you years on end at times. Even if you use them every day. It might have something to do with how far you let the battery drain before recharging or not, and whether or not you leave the device plugged in for long after it has fully recharged. I think leaving something plugged in after it is fully charged can be bad for it because I leave my laptop plugged in all the time and on, so it can only last about an hour on battery when it originally lasted 7.

My PS3 on the other hand I've logged long hours into playing PS1, PS2, and PS3 games since I got it in 2007 and the battery still lasts at least 2 hours before needing to be recharged. Again I think that is because I have never left the controller plugged in all night and don't overcharge it. My controller is one of the original sixasis controllers without rumble so that probably helps battery life. I never cared for rumble and thought of it as a silly distraction. It doesn't really add to the experience of the game and gets in the way/irritates me during heavy action that needs to be precise so I was relieved they took it out on this controller. I think the only time I ever liked rumble was in Zelda for Nintendo 64 when I finished the game and started looking for those secret holes in the ground. At that point rumble was actually useful to me.

The third party rechargeable battery packs I got for the Wiimote had a much shorter lifespan. It got so bad to the point where I just didn't bother with it anymore and went back to using AA's.

Why don't they automatically pause the game when the controllers disconnect / batteries die? Seems like a common sense thing to do.

yeah, especially since the 360 has been doing that since day one :P

Probably get fixed in a patch.

Out of curiosity, was the game kinect enabled? I suppose you could technically be the controller...and we all know its watching you. MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Out of curiosity, was the game kinect enabled?

Yeah it was, I thought that might be the reason why. Like it had paused but then I somehow un-paused it with Kinect when the controller died. I dunno though. It happened to me again the next day. I had only charged up my batteries for a bit, and reused them so I know they weren't fully charged. Sure enough the same thing happened, and that time I didn't say or get up or anything. I was in a safe house when it happened. Basically I lost control of the character, but it was still moving forward slowly. Very lame. Other games don't do that. For instance Lego Marvel just pauses the game and says the controller is disconnected. Just like you'd expect.