IGNORED

V9T9 JAVA question!

Retrospect

Hello guys.

I've got V9T9 Java on my Linux PC, I have Java Runtime 7 installed and it boots up fine, does anyone know how to get it to run less 'choppy' ?

If I can get it running sweet, there will be a lot more production from me .... I've not written any games lately.

Just to elaborate, I have V9T9 Java on two different computers, one is a netbook with an Intel Cedar Trail chip 1.8Ghz DualCore and the other is an Acer Aspire 5315 single-core 1.9Ghz .... I expected the choppy behaviour on the netbook, but it's exactly the same on the larger notebook (aspire) .... I thought maybe there might be a Java file or dependancy I was missing?

I know this might sound like a dull question to put to you guys but if I can get going with an emulator that actually supports pasting from clipboard into the TI99 (classic99 does not support this while running under wine in Linux) then I will be able to continue my programming and maybe even release the adventure game I was thinking of making.

Edited by Retrospect

Hey buddy! Good to see you Linux boxes are running (more or less :)). I can't help out much with V9T9's performance as I don't know it well enough.

You know, while the pasteinto function in Classic99 is pretty cool, there is a native TI utility called TEXTLOAD that will import text into BASIC. You just need TIImageTool to create a DIS/VAR 80 file of your BASIC code, then use TEXTLOAD. AFAIK it works with stock BASIC and Extended BASIC.

Here's an ark of the utility from whtech:

ftp://ftp.whtech.com/9640news/CAT10/TEXTLDR.ARK

• Like 1

Thanks guys.

I'm checking both options provided by you both now.

I've always had an issue (unresolved) with pasting into Classic99 while it runs under Wine in Linux.

I have another emulator, HT1080Z, this emulates a Tandy Trs-80 clone, and it pastes from clipboard in Wine no problem, while Classic99 does not, you end up with either a "h" or a "!" instead of any code at all!

This could be a Wine issue, or it could be otherwise, I dunno

I've been having good luck running Classic99 in Linux using a virtual box running XP. It is clearly not as lively as when running natively in Windows (XP or 7) but it saves me the trouble of having to reboot in Windows, and then rebooting again back into LInux.

Are you able to paste into Classic99 under your Linux? If so I must be missing some sort of Lib or dependancy? Trouble is I'm still not as afluent with Linux as I am with Windows but being the hippy type I am, I'm sticking with Ubuntu :D

Why don't you just use MESS in Linux? Especially on Ubuntu it's dead easy to install: simply do a "sudo apt-get install mess", copy the roms to the right folders and you're good to go...

I know it doesn't have the paste function, but it has other elegant ways of quickly getting XB programs in memory.

Why don't you just use MESS in Linux? Especially on Ubuntu it's dead easy to install: simply do a "sudo apt-get install mess", copy the roms to the right folders and you're good to go...

I know it doesn't have the paste function, but it has other elegant ways of quickly getting XB programs in memory.

I've tried MESS, excellent emulator, brilliant on full screen on my friend's laptop, however, my two machines do NOT play nicely with it at all for some reason.

If you tell me more I may be able to help here. What is "not nicely"?

The Netbook (MSI Wind U180) has a Cedar Trail Intel running at 1.8GHz (dualcore) .... it doesn't provide anywhere near enough horsepower to run most things, when MESS boots the TI, the start-up beep is more like a flat-line on a life-support machine. The only way to get it faster is to narrow the window to the size of a postage stamp.

The Notebook (Acer aspire 5315) Has a celeron singlecore running at 1.9Ghz .... again, not enough horsepower. This computer has certain issues with MESS and if i remember rightly it wouldn't even boot up.

Also, to note, each Linux box can have different issues with any given software, which is why a solid platform is needed within Linux in order to get it stable as a gaming platform

Edited by Retrospect

Hi Retrospect:

Classic 99 works exactly like it does in a native windows environment, but that is because it is running in Windows XP in Virtual Box. I write using Notepad++ and then can paste stuff into Classic99 just like you would expect. I could never get Classic99 to work at all running under wine. Win99/4a does work in wine except that the buttons at the top disappear unless you hover on them. It takes about 6 seconds on my 8 year old Dell to restore XP and be ready for programming. Tthe downside is that the turbo mode on Classic99 doesn't have much effect, presumably because the computer is using almost all of its resources just keeping up.

I have another emulator, HT1080Z, this emulates a Tandy Trs-80 clone, and it pastes from clipboard in Wine no problem, while Classic99 does not, you end up with either a "h" or a "!" instead of any code at all!

I can't remember, but did you ever try disabling the advanced clipboard support?

I can't figure what I'm doing that would be so weird under Wine, but the "advanced" support enumerates for a number of different types of clipboard data in order to work with IE and this forum software, the combination of which puts weird stuff on the clipboard for text-only applications.

Under Options->Options, at the bottom of the dialog, is "Use Enhanced Clipboard" - try disabling it if you haven't already?

I can't remember, but did you ever try disabling the advanced clipboard support?

I can't figure what I'm doing that would be so weird under Wine, but the "advanced" support enumerates for a number of different types of clipboard data in order to work with IE and this forum software, the combination of which puts weird stuff on the clipboard for text-only applications.

Under Options->Options, at the bottom of the dialog, is "Use Enhanced Clipboard" - try disabling it if you haven't already?

I've just tried toggling the Enhanced Clipboard, and it's pasted "8" where it should have pasted "10 call clear" .... lol .... i've no idea what to do at all, i've been stuck for years on this one :)

(this was in TI basic)

Edited by Retrospect

The Netbook (MSI Wind U180) has a Cedar Trail Intel running at 1.8GHz (dualcore) .... it doesn't provide anywhere near enough horsepower to run most things, when MESS boots the TI, the start-up beep is more like a flat-line on a life-support machine. The only way to get it faster is to narrow the window to the size of a postage stamp.

The Notebook (Acer aspire 5315) Has a celeron singlecore running at 1.9Ghz .... again, not enough horsepower. This computer has certain issues with MESS and if i remember rightly it wouldn't even boot up.

Yes, the machine must have some good performance to run MESS. I was told from Robert that his Pentium 4 2.8 GHz has problems with the recent MESS versions, so 1.8 GHz on a x86 platform is way too slow (even with dual core). You may gain some speed by using opengl as video renderer and a fast display driver.

Also, to note, each Linux box can have different issues with any given software

This is a quite general statement which I (luckily) cannot second.

Yes, the machine must have some good performance to run MESS. I was told from Robert that his Pentium 4 2.8 GHz has problems with the recent MESS versions, so 1.8 GHz on a x86 platform is way too slow (even with dual core). You may gain some speed by using opengl as video renderer and a fast display driver.

I've had no performance problems whatsoever from early 2004 and on. Sure you're all using the GPU and not software graphics ? Did changes along the way in MESS require more CPU ?

Edited by sometimes99er

Yes, significantly more.

I rewrote the CPU core from scratch; it is now based on a microcode interpreter. All instructions are executed by (virtual) clock ticks, including setting signal lines, checking incoming READY, and more. Previously the emulation more or less simulated the behavior by result, now by process.

I noticed that the software renderer causes some additional load, which is lower with the opengl. As far as I know there is a way to use multithreading for video output (see mess.ini) which can lower the load a bit further.

As MAME/MESS is not multithreaded beyond that, it only runs on a single core, so on my Core i7 the top command reports a CPU load of about 30% for the TI-99/4A and about 40% for the TI-99/8 and Geneve emulations.

I've just tried toggling the Enhanced Clipboard, and it's pasted "8" where it should have pasted "10 call clear" .... lol .... i've no idea what to do at all, i've been stuck for years on this one :)

(this was in TI basic)

That's behaviour I can not even begin to theorize on -- it makes no sense at all. Clipboard paste in Classic99 works by intercepting the ROM KSCAN function and replacing the ASCII code returned with the current character from the paste buffer -- it doesn't even run at the level of the CRU, so there is no codepath by which I can conceive that the /wrong/ character can be returned. Because it's tied to calls to KSCAN, it should never miss characters, either, but I would at least know where to look if that happened. ;)

The Wine Wiki seems to note a number of limitations with clipboard support, but sadly I can't help beyond that. http://wiki.winehq.org/CopyAndPaste

• 3 months later...

That's behaviour I can not even begin to theorize on -- it makes no sense at all. Clipboard paste in Classic99 works by intercepting the ROM KSCAN function and replacing the ASCII code returned with the current character from the paste buffer -- it doesn't even run at the level of the CRU, so there is no codepath by which I can conceive that the /wrong/ character can be returned. Because it's tied to calls to KSCAN, it should never miss characters, either, but I would at least know where to look if that happened. ;)

The Wine Wiki seems to note a number of limitations with clipboard support, but sadly I can't help beyond that. http://wiki.winehq.org/CopyAndPaste

I've been playing around with the clipboard in Classic99 again (under WINE on linux obviously as I have no other choice for now) .... and if this helps at all, I found that the command LIST "CLIP" actually does still copy and paste FROM classic99 to any of my text editors that are linux based ..... however, you can't put it back in there , back into classic99 - so it's a one-way road!

I'm wondering about that kscan thing, Tursi .... I've checked on the internet for any packages for my 'nix box and all that comes up is some ksane package for KDE that has nothing to do with what I'm wanting .... im wondering if there's some library files I should be adding to WINE to enable clipboard ? That said, as i said before the ht1080z emulator and vice emulator both copy/paste just fine under wine .... what am i missing .... it's bound to be something simple in the end?

I've been playing around with the clipboard in Classic99 again (under WINE on linux obviously as I have no other choice for now) .... and if this helps at all, I found that the command LIST "CLIP" actually does still copy and paste FROM classic99 to any of my text editors that are linux based ..... however, you can't put it back in there , back into classic99 - so it's a one-way road!

I'm wondering about that kscan thing, Tursi .... I've checked on the internet for any packages for my 'nix box and all that comes up is some ksane package for KDE that has nothing to do with what I'm wanting .... im wondering if there's some library files I should be adding to WINE to enable clipboard ? That said, as i said before the ht1080z emulator and vice emulator both copy/paste just fine under wine .... what am i missing .... it's bound to be something simple in the end?

Sorry, KSCAN is the name of the keyboard read function in the TI ROM (Classic99 being a Windows app, it doesn't use any Linux packages!)

All I can suggest is make sure 'enhanced clipboard' is disabled in the configuration, and make sure you are pasting only CF_TEXT format text to the clipboard (how you verify that, I don't know). I could add some debug to display the results of enumerating the clipboard, but I can't really troubleshoot here as I haven't run WINE.

CF_TEXT format ... that might help, Tursi ... I'll have another play around with things, see what can be done.

Edit:

I've had a play around, looked on the internet about clipboard formats and other things, but no luck so far.

Edited by Retrospect

I'm no help with a solution. What I usually do as a workwround is shrink the windows so I can see both the source and destination files, and I type it in with the source as a guide so I don't have to write it down or remember a long string of text.
Not much help for multiple lines of code.

In my TI-only days, I'd strip off all the code above or below the section I wanted, then SAVE that as a DIS/VAR 163 MERGE file under a different filename. I'd reload the destination file, then MERGE the snippet back in. Super EXB allowed a truncated SAVE of a segment of the listing and also more flexible code handling commands.

To get a DIS/VAR 80 file of your EXB listing, type LIST DSKx.NAME instead of a printer. There are EXB utilities to convert it back to EXB code after editing in a WP.

A long way around a simple COPY/PASTE issue, but sometimes we do what we gotta to avoid retyping stuff!

-Ed

Edited by Ed in SoDak
  • Like 1

Did you try out the one I suggested in post #3 ? - Upload, edit and download XB programs in TIFILES format.

Yeah I tried that one Sometimes99er ...... whenever I upload any of my textfiles to it, all it keeps saying to me is that it can't find a valid BASIC starting point .... which confuses me .... I guess my code is terrible ?! haha .... I've had an idea though - and this is a good one ..... maybe one day if Classic99 could be coded to accept a textfile as a FIAD or DSK image. If the clipboard can't be sorted out, the textfile FIAD/DSK idea would be a winner! It would just mean that I can sit down and actually get something done, rather than struggle.

JAVA V9T9 is good , it has clipboard features , but I can't reliably test my programs on it becuase it is choppy with timing / sound / sprites ..... (at least on my two linux machines it is) ..... so I do struggle with productivity.

I don't mind typing straight into Classic99 as though I'm typing on a real TI, that's nice, but it leaves me sometimes wondering where I am with the code and all too often I hit the reset by accident. That's something every TI owner has done at some point, haha .... so frustrating .... even in TI99/4 mode where it is SHIFT/Q to reset .... I think "Oh I'll add an exclamation point here" ... miss ... BEEP .... oh well ... back to the drawing board.

Hopefully something can be sorted one day, I'm going to start saving up to buy a windows laptop and then I won't have any problems with the clipboard issues. The Linux X operating system uses 3 clipboard types, and I know one of them must be akin to windows but which I don't know.