IGNORED

V9T9 JAVA question!

Retrospect

whenever I upload any of my textfiles to it, all it keeps saying to me is that it can't find a valid BASIC starting point ....

When you upload you should choose a file in TIFILES format - not a plain text file !?

Just went through the hole procedure again and it works fine here. 1. Loaded a small 20 liner XB thing, lines with multiple statements of course (originally saved by Classic99 in TIFILES format). 2. Deleted, changed and added lines/things. 3. Downloaded it. 4. Loaded it into Classic99. 5. Listed it to check if it was as expected. A O.K.

Edited by sometimes99er

When you upload you should choose a file in TIFILES format - not a plain text file !?

Just went through the hole procedure again and it works fine here. 1. Loaded a small 20 liner XB thing, lines with multiple statements of course (originally saved by Classic99 in TIFILES format). 2. Deleted, changed and added lines/things. 3. Downloaded it. 4. Loaded it into Classic99. 5. Listed it to check if it was as expected. A O.K.

right so i see the procedure, ok ..... so I make a small XB program saved in TIFILES format ... then I can edit that on the webpage and make it into a bigger program ,save out in TIFILE format? ....

I've just had a play with it, it saves out with a .bin extension ... .is that workable with classic99?

right so i see the procedure, ok ..... so I make a small XB program saved in TIFILES format ... then I can edit that on the webpage and make it into a bigger program ,save out in TIFILE format? ....

I've just had a play with it, it saves out with a .bin extension ... .is that workable with classic99?

Yes.

Oh yes, I removed the extension. Not sure Classic99 will take a filename including an extention. :cool:

• Like 1

Yes.

Oh yes, I removed the extension. Not sure Classic99 will take a filename including an extention. :cool:

Classic99 doesn't care, but you have to type it into the TI side as well. ;) Classic99 will only care about extensions if it's a Windows file and the extension is .TXT or .OBJ, and you are trying to open it as a DISPLAY type file (Fixed or Variable, any record length).

Of course, if it's a PROGRAM type image and there are multiple files, the /last/ character must increment, and if something added extensions, that's usually not the case. (for instance, FILE1.BIN and FILE2.BIN -- Editor/Assembler when told "DSK1.FILE1.BIN" will look for "DSK1.FILE1.BIO" as the second file. ;) ) In that case you need to remove the extensions!

But yeah, I generally remove the extensions too, unless it's a file I'm only going to load once anyway. ;)

• Like 1

So you don't use the file name stored inside the TIFILES file? (If there is one)

I'd expect relying on the name in the host file system can cause trouble with the missing case sensitivity in Windows systems (while the TI file system is case-sensitive).

Edited by mizapf

So you don't use the file name stored inside the TIFILES file? (If there is one)

I'd expect relying on the name in the host file system can cause trouble with the missing case sensitivity in Windows systems (while the TI file system is case-sensitive).

No, I don't support that extension. My entire reason for preferring TIFILES format to V9T9 format is that the filename is not contained within the file itself, which causes problems with using the Windows file tools to manipulate the files.

I am not emulating the TI Disk Controller. I am implementing a new file storage device. Thus I am not concerned with the limitations or features of the original disk controller, except insofar as reasonable compatibility with it. if you want the disk controller, run the disk controller and use a disk image file. :)

I have run Classic99 this way for over 20 years and the number of pieces of software that have been reported as having trouble can be counted on one hand, and easily updated. It's a pretty minor concern.

To be more precise: If I understood you correctly, the file name of the file in your PC directory (which is in TIFILES format) is also the file name as seen in Classic99. That is, if we have something like C:\MYFILES\EDITASSM\ASSM1, the file ASSM1 is in TIFILES format and will appear as ASSM1 inside the TI emulation (if the EDITASSM directory is mounted as a disk).

What happens if you store a file on the TI using lower case letters or characters like ?, \ or *? For that reason I thought that it makes more sense to get the file name from the TIFILES format and not be depending on the PC file system constraints.

I really do not want to advocate or convince you of anything, I just wanted to clarify so that I don't falsely assume things here. :)

Yes, if the file is a TIFILES format file, then Classic99 looks only at the underlying filesystem. If you are using a case-insensitive filesystem (note that NTFS can be case sensitive if you want it to be), then the result will be case-insensitive. Classic99 does not inspect the file to determine the filename. If the TI filename contains characters that are illegal on the underlying filesystem (NTFS is pretty permissive, but characters like '?' or '*' are still illegal), then you can not use them. However, for compatibility with software that expects this, you can replace those characters will the tilde ('~') and Classic99 will treat that as a wildcard replacement. If the TI tries to create a file with these illegal characters, Classic99 will write the '~' instead. This means, however, that you can't have both "HEY*WORLD" and "HEY?WORLD" on the same 'disk', because Classic99 will map both of them to "HEY~WORLD". This scheme has nevertheless worked for a long time, because those illegal characters are not (very) commonly used, especially with such minor variance as this example.

Note that V9T9 files do not solve this problem (in Classic99), because Classic99 still uses the host filename to locate the file. There is then the additional restriction that the host name must match the embedded name (with the above '~' wildcarding also active). V9T9 files therefore restrict the host filename to 10 characters and are actually more restrictive than they were on the real TI due to having a union of both TI and PC naming restrictions. I'm not a huge fan of this format anymore, I believe it served a need in the DOS days but is welcome to fade away today. ;)

I don't believe that it makes sense to restrict the PC filesystem to the TI disk controller constraints - it is not a TI disk controller. Classic99's file-based access is based on creating a new, mostly-compatible device that interfaces to a modern filesystem. It has no dependence on what that filesystem is, and can access anything that the PC can - therefore it is restricted to the PC's rules. It /does/ introduce a few restrictions that the TI disk controller did not have (I believe only certain characters being made illegal), but it also removes many restrictions that the TI disk controller did have (filename length, subdirectories, number of files in a folder, size of files, etc).

For working with the TI disk controller, Classic99 implements a native simulation by which it can access V9T9 or PC99 formatted disk images, and also implements (though it is not fully exposed) emulation of the actual TI disk controller ROM, down to the sector level (which is simulated).

If you save a file from the TI side using lower-case letters, Windows will write it to disk with a lower-case filename - the filesystem supports both upper and lower case. By default, however, it operates in a case-insensitive manner so you can't save (for instance) "hello" and "HELLO" without one overwriting the other.

(I should note that Classic99's handling of V9T9 files longer than 7 characters is wrong anyway, since it won't look for the period separating the extension part.... which is just a further Classic99-specific limitation of V9T9 files.)