IGNORED

"PRESS 8" software toy

catsfolly

Movies have "deleted scenes". How about video games?

Of course they do.

For Paddle Party, I had an idea that, at a certain point in the menu system, if the player pressed the "8" on the keypad, a bunch of 8's would get drawn to the screen and the player could blow them up. It wasn't a game really, just a software "toy" to play with on the screen.

post-14916-0-30296100-1386212962_thumb.png

But, I just couldn't get it finished on time to put it in Paddle Party.

As you will see, like most movie "deleted scenes", this is probably no great loss.

But, I thought I would finish it and release it as a standalone rom image while the idea was still fresh in my mind.

One big advantage of doing a standalone version - video game music veteran (but new to the Intellivision) "Der Luchs" has graciously provided us with some cool music to listen to while the eights are appearing and flying around, and he even made a nice tune for the title screen.

Thanks Der Luchs!

post-14916-0-53890500-1386213046_thumb.png

Here is the rom image (for use with an emulator or your favorite multicart):

press8.rom

How to "play".

1. Press 8 (on the keypad or your computer keyboard) to start the action.

2. While the music is playing you can use the disc (or arrow keys) to change the color mix and scrolling direction.

3. After the music stops, you can move the arrow over an "8" and press the action buttons (shift key?) to start a timer. When a timer stops, it blows up that 8 and any surrounding 8's of the same color. You can have many timers active at the same time.

post-14916-0-33367300-1386213212_thumb.png

4. If you click on an empty square, an 8 appears. The color is based on the last direction you moved in.

5. Press 8 to go back to the title.

6. That's it. That's all it does.

post-14916-0-64534600-1386213230_thumb.png

Good Points:

1. It's free.
2. It's fun.
3. It's chaotic.
4. Great music. :)
5. More eights than any other video game on earth. :twisted:
6. You can't LOSE! (because it is a toy, not a game).
7. Cartoon gravity.
8. No annoying ghosts.

To be fair, here are the bad points:

1. No box.
2. No manual.
3. No overlays.
4. No paddles. :(
5. No cartridge.
6. No sevens.
7. No annoying ghosts.
8. You can't WIN! (because it is a toy, not a game).
9. A bit dusty, innit?

Let me know what you think…

Catsfolly

post-14916-0-77984400-1386213366_thumb.png

• Like 10

"Giri Giri" I believe is Japanese for 'up to the edge of what is acceptable'.

:-)

I was looking for the Japanese equivalent of "Slacker Games", and this is what I came up with.

(It's not a real company!!!)

I was inspired by the Halcali song "Giri GIri Surf Rider".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHjvF-vIP6k

Edited by catsfolly

One big advantage of doing a standalone version - video game music veteran (but new to the Intellivision) "Der Luchs" has graciously provided us with some cool music to listen to while the eights are appearing and flying around, and he even made a nice tune for the title screen.

Thanks Der Luchs!

A veteran of about half a year of experience now! :D

Interesting idea. I think that it needs "something else" adding into the mix to take it from a toy to a game I'd go back to. However, I'm not sure what that "something" is at the moment.

Thanks for trying it out, GroovyBee.

Yeah. It was originally intended to be a little "easter egg" type thing that popped up if a player hit a button that wasn't on the menu.

But now, as a standalone rom, it seems a bit weak.

What could be done? Some brainstorming...

1. The obvious thing is to turn it into "Same Game", which it kind of resembles. But "Same Game" exists for the Intellivision, so what"s the point?

2. I could add more drawing commands (delete one character, change a color, lines, copy, paste...) so people could more easily make "8scii" art. But does anyone really want to make "8scii" art???

3. Chain reactions. It definitely needs chain reactions...

4. I could turn it into a puzzle solving game: a predefined screen full of 8's appears, and the player has to try and clear the screen in (a) the smallest possible number of clicks, or (b) the shortest possible time. Points could be awarded...

Any ideas? Anyone?

Catsfolly

• 2 months later...

Awesome!

But I have to ask - how was the music made and how was it interleaved into the program? I would love to use a "tracker" of some kind to sequence Intellivision music and get it into a ROM....

Thanks!

Der Luchs created the music as a "tracker file" to be played with Arnauld's tracker program.

See the thread :

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/218984-how-to-intellivision-music-tracker/

for details.

I don't know how he made the music. You'd have to ask him about that...

Anyway, I added his tracker file to my Press 8 game program, and played the music with Arnauld's program, and then adjusted the timing of my program to match the music.

Catsfolly

Maybe turn into a shooting game.. maybe like you can save the crazy 8's, and put other numbers, , letters and other objects. maybe have a scrolling screen if possible. Shoot the other objects and save the 8's . Or turn in to a mystery/adventure game, Your on a quest and to search and find the number 8, to solve the mystery. Search for clues and try to stay away from the others numbers and traps. Add some ghosts and other creep crawlers. Maybe Intellivoice also. Ghosts are cool. lol ;-)

Edited by atari5200dude82
  • Like 1