IGNORED

Ok, what's the actual CPU speed for the PS4?

HuckleCat

I'm curious about this, as everywhere I find only "assumed" speeds, but nothing actually concrete.

The Xbox One is 1.75 per core. This is confirmed by MS themselves. Looking about for the PS4's gives nothing "official". Some say 1.6, because it's the CPUs default, some say 1.8, because the dev kits are 1.8, and other articles (though older) guess 2.0 because it seems like a good guess.

Anyone find anything "real" about this?

Per the internets its 1.6 for the PS4. The CPU's are the same and Microsoft bumped up there's to 1.75 vs. 1.6 (PS4) to make up for other "shortcomings", mainly the way the Xbox One GPU handles things. In my opinion the PS4's GPU can make it a slightly better system from a devs point of view (to develop for). Depending if developers are lazy or not. It's completely up to the developers and how they handle things.

It seems similar to last generation when the PS3 was a bit more tricky to develop for. The PS3 usually faltered on ports that were made on 360 like Bayonetta and other games.

Check this, there's tons of other sites on the subject but they are basically the same machine depending on the game maker:

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare

Also, the article points that you will see differences (because of the GPU) depending on the developer but in my opinion it would be so minor I wouldn't even worry about it.

If your looking to buy one of these beasts, pick either one depending on what games you prefer....who cares....you won't be disappointed.

Edited by cimerians

I think I read somewhere it was like 10 tetraflops or something like that....

....to which I said "WHAT THE FUCK!!! IF your going to state a speed, make it a real one,not a made up one...yeah, that might be a real word, ten years from now, but right now that means whatever the hell you want it to mean" (I also notice that the auto spell checker thinks that is spelled wrong, supporting my "made up" comment.

I think I read somewhere it was like 10 tetraflops or something like that....

LOL 10 teraflops on a netbook CPU... The Radeon 290x can't put out 10 teraflops.

If I remember right Sony had a picture from a conference that had how much flops the cpu could do. All I remember it wasn't over 40 gflops more than a PS3's CPU, which isn't much of an improvement...

Besides, you buy a console for games. If you want your clock speeds up really high, PC gaming is just for you.

• 2 months later...

In any case, it seems that it is actually running at 2 Ghz.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737629

If your looking to buy one of these beasts, pick either one depending on what games you prefer....who cares....you won't be disappointed.

I got a PS4 at launch. I really don't give a shit about how its architecture compares to anything, I just wanted to know what it's actual specs were since Sony has been all weird and quiet about it.