IGNORED

Fighter pilots needed in sector wars...

PacManPlus

But it does require the AtariVox+, which is a pretty rare piece of hardware, isn't it? (This is the first I've actually heard of it, not to offend anyone at all, naturally.) Since this ROM pack is going to be pretty limited in space, I would prefer Bob's approach at present. If there somehow winds up room to optionally support it, I would say 'go for it'.

Would have been a nice and understandable addition to the XM, of course...

These 7800 games have AtariVox support.

(It may just be high score savings I don't know.)

1 - bonQ (Ken Siders) 7800

2 - Halloween game TBA (Mark Ball) 7800

3 - Monster! (Mark Ball) 7800

4 - Worm! (Mark Ball) 7800

Apart from initial sales of AtariVox before I joined, AtariVox+ has sold around 70 units.

AtariVox+ will be sold in the Atariage Store in the future.

• Like 1

Hi guys!

Many changes here:

- Slowed down the color cycling for the enemies that it happens on

- Changed the color of the first enemy to red.

- Caused the secret bonus to stay on the screen a little longer

- The on-screen text is no longer the same color as the border.

- Completely re-wrote the attract mode. Now, the option screen doesn't appear until a button is pressed or the joystick moved.

- The High Score function has been added. It does not cycle through all entries; it only shows the scores for the current options.

- Selection added for 3 or 5 lives

- Darkened Red and Blue colors a little

- Jazzed up attract mode and option screens with some color

- Changed option screen interface to be select up/down, change left/right

Some replies to some comments:

- I may have to actually remove some of the voice as I only have 16K for samples. I want to keep (0,1,2,3,4,5) ships remaining, play over, and I'd like to keep the title sentence.

- Jaynz is correct; I am trying to keep this game to a standard board, without add ons (the HSC isn't really needed, but the Vox would be to hear samples if I went that way). :( I hope you understand...

Thanks!

Bob

AstBlstr.A78

AstBlstr.bin

• Like 4

:( I hope you understand...

One of the most humble of extremely talented people I have ever come across.

Bob, I feel more like we're the 'peanut gallery' with suggestions/input :grin:

You're the creator of the masterpiece; presenting your work of art how you see fit and best. Thank you for not only this but all your games; most of all your presence and amazing attitude, kindness, and generosity to the 7800 community.

Now, enough of that sappy stuff...This update is kick-ass! Fantastic. Your progress and number of updates are incredible.

• Like 3

Bob,

Under MESS with this latest update the game is not recognizing the fire button input or the reset button. Joystick input is recognized though.

It also freezes after the first demo play of enemies with the game title appearing right after it and then nothing further:

post-18-0-22553100-1388631283_thumb.png

I'm playing this under ProSystem and... a lot of my issues of the game are gone. Hits are smooth, collision detection vastly improved. Really would like different blaster and 'boom' sounds, though. The early 1980 Atari effects just GRATE on me.. The 'boom' sounds from Asteroids would be a lot closer to the arcade and a lot more pleasant to hear. :)

I had to play a YouTube video of that for a reminder, Trebor. (I played the hell out of that game... 30 years ago...) I think the 'bling' explosion sound would be just WRONG for this - being way too different from AB to work, but a slightly higher version of the blaster sound would actually come close to the arcade. So, Asteroids' explosions and Megamania's blaster fire?

• Like 1

how about a mixture of the two...megamania sound on some waves and the asteroids sound on others...especially on the meteor stage.

It would actually automatically be a mixture for every wave.

I like how you were working for a compromise though, NIKON...Nice :thumbsup:

Your ship firing sound = Megamania.

The explosion sound made when your fire hits an enemy = Asteroids.

Naturally, this led me to fire up Stella and Asteroids (I already played Megamania too ;)). I must confirm, not only a sweet, but an excellent suggestion by Jaynz. Asteroids is a great choice for the explosion sound effect.

It would actually automatically be a mixture for every wave.

I like how you were working for a compromise though, NIKON...Nice :thumbsup:

Your ship firing sound = Megamania.

The explosion sound made when your fire hits an enemy = Asteroids.

Naturally, this led me to fire up Stella and Asteroids (I already played Megamania too ;)). I must confirm, not only a sweet, but an excellent suggestion by Jaynz. Asteroids is a great choice for the explosion sound effect.

Thats even better!!!! :thumbsup: :D

• Like 1

I'm playing this under ProSystem and... a lot of my issues of the game are gone. Hits are smooth, collision detection vastly improved. Really would like different blaster and 'boom' sounds, though. The early 1980 Atari effects just GRATE on me.. The 'boom' sounds from Asteroids would be a lot closer to the arcade and a lot more pleasant to hear. :)

I'm with you on the sounds . Cant get near those awesome arcade sounds though :( But the game looks great ! I dont mind the sound when you fire but not so much on the enemy fire .

Edited by AtariBrian

I didn't mean to open the flood doors on this one. I was just wondering if there were things already done that Bob could put in that would make the sound approach the arcade version a bit more without a ton of extra effort on his part. I was still geared for the port to be as accurate as reasonable...

Bob,

Under MESS with this latest update the game is not recognizing the fire button input or the reset button. Joystick input is recognized though.

It also freezes after the first demo play of enemies with the game title appearing right after it and then nothing further:

attachicon.gifastroblast.PNG

Ok - thanks for pointing that out, that would happen when the High Score cart isn't present. Fixed.

Regarding the buttons, I was changing the joystick to one button mode for the select and attract mode screens (less buttons to check). But I guess that didn't work out too well in MESS :( I left it at two-button always (if the prolines are actually plugged in) and only check for the fire (left) button.

I also added 'RESET' to start the game on the option screen. If you hit 'RESET' in *attract* mode (instead of hitting select or moving either joystick) you'll go right into the game, bypassing the option screen. :)

Guys, the current sounds are just placeholders as I was playing with them early on. I only need to finish sounds and speech. As always, I will try and get them as close to the arcade as possible.

Thanks!

Bob

AstBlstr.A78

AstBlstr.bin

• Like 5

Thanks for the detailed explanation and this awesome release, Bob. Astro Blaster runs perfectly under MESS now, including high score saving (And initializing a high score cart/list with the game):

post-18-0-78544200-1388662902_thumb.png

Man, this is going to make for a fun and challenging game for the high score club!

Looking forward to the sound and speech updates; evidently a very excited and eager fan-base (are trying to) patiently await them :grin:

• Like 2

I didn't mean to open the flood doors on this one. I was just wondering if there were things already done that Bob could put in that would make the sound approach the arcade version a bit more without a ton of extra effort on his part. I was still geared for the port to be as accurate as reasonable...

Guys, the current sounds are just placeholders as I was playing with them early on. I only need to finish sounds and speech. As always, I will try and get them as close to the arcade as possible.

Thanks!

Bob

This. I'm hoping that the sound effects are close to the arcade not 2600 games like Megamania.

Just played the latest release - great job so far it plays great.

Edited by rmaerz