IGNORED

Opinions on the Odyssey 2

simbalion

I ended up bidding on eBay, and won an auction for an O2 system complete with P/S, video, controllers, and 10 boxed games.

I am looking forward to getting it. I remember seeing the O2 in stores, "back in the day", but have never actually played with one other than emulation.

• Like 5

I just got one a few days ago. It's been fun to mess with. A lot of the games are pretty boring and simplistic by even Atari 2600 standards, there are some definite gems though like the two "KC" games. The whole board game idea is interesting too, though I haven't had the chance to actually play one with somebody yet. Not my favorite console in the world, but not bad either.

Look for more details and information on WILDLIFE! to come. Stay tuned!

Since the upcoming release of Wildlife was mentioned here, I thought I would also share that Rafael (the programmer of Wildlife) is giving away the #1 copy of the game to the winner of a high score contest for one of his other games, High Water Patrol.

Details are here.

There have been a couple of posts in this thread talking about the sound capabilities of the system. I've noticed that a lot of the games sound pretty much exactly the same. I know why this happens with the graphics, the built in character set that is used (http://www.coprolite.com/art42.html) and a limited number of user defined sprites. Are there similar "built in sounds" that the games use? I know most of the games were written by one guy, so was he just reusing the sounds to save himself work but they are stored in the cartridges? Or, is the sound chip really THAT limited?

Most O² games were written by the same guy yes, so he probably saved time by reusing the same sounds.

Homebrew show that the O² is capable of displaying various sprites and sound, it's just that it wasn't used much during the system's lifetime.

Also I feel like it give all O² games a special sound style, much like the VCS and the Bally have distinctive sound capabilities.

Edited by CatPix
  • Like 1

What's the technique used to go beyond the basic two-pitch tone generator in the Odyssey^2, and play arbitrary pitches? I seem to remember that Turtles had real music, and didn't use the Voice to do it. EDIT: Never mind, Turtles does use the Voice, but I thought another game had real music too.

I was playing Monkeyshines solo yesterday. Hmm. It seems to get a lot of good reviews, but I just thought it was okay.

You climb around in a maze and try to grab yellow monkeys to 'tag' them, then throw them as far as you can. They turn red and chase after you. If they touch you, your character freezes and you're out of the game.

I suspect that this game would be a LOT of fun for two players, though, as you can throw the monkey at the other player's character to freeze them out of the match.

it got boring to me when I figured out how to beat it, with having a top platform, no other platforms, and by the time they climb the walls, they are no longer electric. It's like catching fish in a barrel.

You should hit 'R' for Rotate, causing the maze to shift constantly.

I love my O2 and I have never bought a loose game. Any games to recommend?

These are my favorites, of the original U.S. releases:

Attack of the Timelord

Killer Bees

U.F.O.

KC's Krazy Chase

Turtles

Power Lords

These are also excellent:

Pick Axe Pete

KC Munchkin

Freedom Fighters

Demon Attack

Exclamation points on the Magnavox titles excluded for the sake of brevity.

• Like 2

The Odyssey 2 is one of my favorite consoles, mostly due to being my very first console I ever played and the one that got me into gaming. It also gave me very fond memories, playing it with my cousins growing up.

Now I been trying to buy every single US release for it (Homebrews are a bonus, even tho I own most of them)

Off the top of my head the only ones I'm missing are:

1. Power Lords

2. Keyboard Creations

3. Atlantis

4. Frogger

5. Popeye

6. Qbert

7.Super Cobra

I also modded one of my systems to use Atari 2600 controllers with a power LED mod, and amplified video/audio mod.

I do have one unit that I still haven't gotten around to modding to sell...Only thing wrong with it, it has a rectangle size crack in the case on the lower left side.

• Like 1

Sweet! It's nice to lighten the load :)

Do those games still play on an NTSC O2? I hear mixed answers on if they do or not...some say some play on hardwired controller model and some play on the removable joystick model.

There are NTSC versions that were released in Brazil.

• Like 2

The O2 or Videopac G7000 it is called over here, was my second game console (after Pong) and also my last game console I ever owned. I really loved playing those games when I was a little kid. Maybe they look a bit primitive if you compare them to some other systems, but all the games were still good fun. Also I didn't know any better, as it had no competitor at the time it was introduced in The Netherlands. The only problem where the hefty prices of the available games, therefore I only got 2 or maybe 3 games per year to play with. We had to turn into swapping games with friends who also owned one. That said, I still have my Videopac and it still works fine. I bought the Multic-cart from Don Dondzila, to enjoy the games I never played before and upgraded to an G7400! After the Videopac period my interest went to computers in 1984!

Edited by Aquaman
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Odyssey 2 is one of my favorite consoles, mostly due to being my very first console I ever played and the one that got me into gaming. It also gave me very fond memories, playing it with my cousins growing up.

Now I been trying to buy every single US release for it (Homebrews are a bonus, even tho I own most of them)

Off the top of my head the only ones I'm missing are:

1. Power Lords

2. Keyboard Creations

3. Atlantis

4. Frogger

5. Popeye

6. Qbert

7.Super Cobra

I also modded one of my systems to use Atari 2600 controllers with a power LED mod, and amplified video/audio mod.

I do have one unit that I still haven't gotten around to modding to sell...Only thing wrong with it, it has a rectangle size crack in the case on the lower left side.

I just got an O2 from Mark, and I wanted to comment in this thread so I can follow it easily as there is so much good info here.

Where is a good place to find manuals online? I have the Multi-Cart but I'm so new to this system that I don't know some things - like what the codes you can type in the games are for. I need to read some manuals.

I tried to register with videopac.nl but registration is disabled at the moment.

Is there a killer app homebrew that everyone kills themselves for? Like a sequel to a really popular original title or something like that?

I just got an O2 from Mark, and I wanted to comment in this thread so I can follow it easily as there is so much good info here.

Congrats on your purchase! I think you're going to have fun with it, and there is a nice community on videopac.nl that I think you'll enjoy participating in.

I tried to register with videopac.nl but registration is disabled at the moment.

This kept me off the forum for a long time, but it turns out that you can still register.

The registration form is always disabled due to spam, but the site does accept new members.

This post tells you how to register: http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=1931.0

Where is a good place to find manuals online? I have the Multi-Cart but I'm so new to this system that I don't know some things - like what the codes you can type in the games are for. I need to read some manuals.

Good question. This site has Videopac (European versions with alternate titles) manuals: http://www.bermuda.ch/balduin/videopac/videopac.html

If you mean the dip switches on your cart, I believe there should be a list that came with it. This wasn't obvious to me on the first one I bought.

Is there a killer app homebrew that everyone kills themselves for? Like a sequel to a really popular original title or something like that?

I wouldn't go so far as to say that there is one must-have homebrew.

My personal favorite homebrew is Mayhem. It is a simple but extremely fun and addictive game. That game and others are available from the publisher here: http://www.revival-studios.com/?page=41

The newest release (available for the first time today) is Wildlife, which you can purchase from 2600 Connection here: http://www.2600connection.com/features/wildlife/features_wildlife.html

Here's a complete list of the released homebrews and new releases of previously unreleased games: http://videopac.nl/forum/index.php?topic=191.0

The hires backgrounds added to previously existing games do often make those games harder to play.

This isn't the case on games that were designed afterwards with plus graphics in mind (for example, Flashpoint, and the Reivival Studios releases).