IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

2. Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega CD)

Myst-esque graphic adventure is atmospheric, but fairly simplistic, and suffers from grainy images and a very low framerate that turns many scenes into a slideshow. Still, with frustration-free puzzles and a smooth interface, it's a pleasant enough way to spend an evening. B-.

3. Panic! (Sega CD)

Your mission in Panic! is to cure the world of a nasty computer virus by teleporting through a series of ~100 different locations and pushing buttons, but this is really just a framework for a collection of surreal gags and Monty Python-esque lunacy. Despised by some and embraced by others, it's probably one of the most divisive titles in the console's library, but it looks great (especially by Sega CD standards), sounds quite good, and has a huge amount of content. However, it only barely qualifies as a game, and reaching the end is less a question of skill than trial-and-error (plus mapmaking). Either way, I'm glad it exists. B+.

• Like 1

3. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - PS1

100% with every character. ugh that was annoying. This game had a nice soundtrack and was innovative for its time, but the play control is so imprecise (at least with this Pelican brand wireless controller I have). I kept missing the jumps required to get certain hidden tapes over and over again. Frustration like crazy. Then taking the time to do it with every character. That was overkill. The characters are all supposed to have even stats in the end but to me it seemed they still had differences. Some appeared to skate faster, some seemed to really do bad at turning.

Hi guys,

Final Fight CD. For the Sega CD!

One of the better games for the system and what an excellent soundtrack for its time. The soundbites and voice acting were pretty good and like the SuperNES version, the Mega-CD version was censored for the English localization with many of the same changes. Poison and Roxy were kept, but were redrawn with less revealing clothing. Overall, this is my favorite version of Final Fight on any home console!

Anthony...

Edited by fdurso224
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

Neo Turf Masters. Neo-Geo AES.

You know what? This game is probably the best golf game ever made. Many in the Neo-Geo community feel the same way as well. The game was made by Nazca (which also made Metal Slug) and offers great music and graphics. Replay value is high and fun to play Unlike many golf games of the era which used a two-click swing system to determine the hook or slice of the ball, Neo Turf Masters uses a single click for the power of the shot, and a second for the height of the shot; hook and slice are selected with buttons B and C before making the shot. This makes the game much easier to pick up and play well than its contemporaries, but it compensates for this reduced difficulty with fiendish (if somewhat unrealistic) course layouts and highly variable wind.

Anthony...

Bowling on the Atari 2600. Two-player game. Currently playing it in the Silver Medal Bracket challenge of the 2600 HSC. According to the rules "play a two-player game and add the scores", after countless attempts, I managed a clean 600. Which is slightly bigger news than "one perfect game in Bowling"

post-34656-0-26715300-1389347264_thumb.png

• Like 5

Hi guys,

Viewpoint. Neo-Geo AES.

This is my brother's favorite game for the Neo-Geo and we beat this game together. Fun game, the player has access to three bombs: one that can make a wave of fire that starts from behind the player's ship and scrolls "up" the screen, another that makes a powerful circular, nova-like blast, and one that shoots several mini-missiles capable of homing in on multiple targets. The game has 6 stages in total.

Anthony...

4. Pete Sampras Tennis (Genesis)

Wrote about this game here, so I'll merely say that, on the whole, the bells and whistles just about counterbalance the flaws. B-.

5. Fahrenheit (Sega CD)

Decent FMV game loses points for confusing control scheme, dependence on trial-and-error gameplay, and annoying habit of belittling the player for not being psychic. But if you're willing to make maps and figure the game out, it's moderately entertaining. C.

6. Fahrenheit (Sega 32X CD)

The same game as the above, with cleaner/more colorful visuals and worse sound. Oddly, the second matters far more than the first, and I think this is a small but definite step down -- so don't bother busting out another power strip to hold the 3 (!) wall warts needed to play this. C-.

• Like 1

2. Mansion of Hidden Souls (Sega CD)

Myst-esque graphic adventure is atmospheric, but fairly simplistic, and suffers from grainy images and a very low framerate that turns many scenes into a slideshow. Still, with frustration-free puzzles and a smooth interface, it's a pleasant enough way to spend an evening. B-.

I am glad to see you enjoyed this one. This is a personal favorite on the Sega CD for me. It's choppy and grainy like you mentioned, but it's a very pleasant experience that isn't very stressful (which is nice). If you get a chance, check out Lunacy on the Saturn, I believe it was crafted by the same people and offers a similar, mysterious adventure as well.

• Like 1

The wonderful thing is, you never, ever have to play it again. You've extracted all the gameplay it has to offer! :D

On the other hand, Bowling for the Atari 2600 now is more than halfway towards the 1000 minute club in the tracker! :)

Not sure that it counts to "beat" the game, but yesterday when I played Super Cycle on the C64, I made it through all the tracks (on easiest level though). It is a rather simple thing to achieve, at least on that level and only took 25 minutes. I suppose I should play it again on hardest level to make it count. I didn't even break my own highscore, set 22 years ago (!) according to the built-in highscore table.

• Like 2

The wonderful thing is, you never, ever have to play it again. You've extracted all the gameplay it has to offer! :D

Well, technically, there is more to extract. The 600 was done with a simple curveball game - Game 2. Someone could do the same with game 4 (steerable ball), and even with Game 6 (straight ball). There IS a random element in the game, so that very rarely even a straight shot will score a strike. The chances that this happens 24 times in a row are astronomically low, though. Maybe zero, actually. I never found out if it's truly random or if there's a fixed pattern. Would have to check the code to find out.

Anyway, good luck with getting a 600 in Game 6, folks. I'll send you a patch if you can make it ;-).

• Like 2

Arx Fatalis (XBOX)

Surprised I saw this one through to completion, let alone to have enjoyed it as much as I did. It's an old-fashioned dungeon-crawler, complete with all the attendant pros and cons of that genre. Plus, a few very significant flaws unto itself, the most notable being a poor story and miserable (as in maybe the worst I've ever heard) voice acting. Game nails the ambience though, and the gameplay was compelling enough to keep me invested until the end. One of the most underappreciated games on the original XBOX.

• Like 1

Just finished Mega Man Battle & Chase (PS1). I won races on every course with every difficulty setting, collecting all 44 car parts. Quite a crappy game, making me happy that Capcom rarely creates racing games :lolblue:
(I see a Snowboarding game on the horizon though... :ponder:)

Capcom games beaten in 2013: Mega Man 8 & Mega Man Battle & Chase