IGNORED

Games Beaten In 2014!

Charlie Cat

#18 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (XBOX 360)

Didn't care for this game a lot when it came out, but decided to roll through it again in anticipation for the sequel. Figured I might like it more now since I would be playing it in HD, whereas when it came out my main TV was an older CRT. As I figured, I was right and I did enjoy it more. Also helps that I had already beaten the game once a few years back, so I had a vague idea of what was coming next and progression was smoother overall. For the most part it's a decent game, but the absurd amount of puzzles really started to have an ill-effect on me by about 50% of the way through the game, and it just gets worse in that regard towards the end of the game. It just kills the flow completely. I also feel the game is too long for its own good, although to be fair I think this feeling was amplified by the amount of mind-benders the game throws at you. Oh, and it still doesn't feel much like a Castlevania game either. Figured I had to throw that in there, heh. Cool story though with neat environments and some creepy and outlandish characters, so I will be curious to see where the second game takes it come a week and a half from now.

I am playing the DLC right now and finished the first pack, but you can probably guess it.. more puzzles. A lot more. Ugh (shoot me now!).

• Like 1

With almost 8 hours playtime I just finished Mega Man 6 (3DS) :)

I hope Capcom soon fills yet another gap in my collection with a 3DS-VC release of Gargoyles Quest II :D

Capcom games beaten in 2014: Mega Man 8, Mega Man Battle & Chase, Street Fighter EX plus Alpha, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel vs. Capcom & Mega Man 6

• Like 1

5. Warhammer 40K: Space Marine - Xbox 360

Wow... This was interesting.. On one hand, I really enjoyed the combat (for the most part), the story & setting.. But DANG!! The character moved so slow, it was at times I almost rage quit because I couldn't get between cover fast enough..

If you're a 'gears' type game fan, I think this is worth the price of admission. Pretty cheap game.. And enjoyable enough.

So far:

1. Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD

2. Lost Odessey (Xbox 360)

3. Halo: Spartan Assault (Xbox One)

Lost Odessey (and to a lesser extent Wind Waker) really took most of my gaming time so far, so haven't played a lot beyond that. Looking to play more 'bite sized' games for my next couple of outings. So just started The Cave tonight, and probably looking to play Brothers next.

• Like 1

6. Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds - 3DS

Really great game! A must for 3DS owners.. Very glad I picked this one up! I will be the first to admit, that I thought this game was a bit overrated at first, but it finishes very strong.. Gameplay is very simple, and very addicting! The world(s) are very fun to explore!

A bit on the easy side, but once you finish, it once thru, you unlock "Hero Mode" which promises to be a bit more of a challenge.

• Like 1

15. Sonic Triple Trouble - SMS [Hack]
16. Double Dragon - Genesis
17. The Great Waldo Search - Genesis

Only actually released for the Game Gear, a member of the Sonic hacking community ported Sonic Triple Trouble to Sega Master System by fixing the color palette and expanding the screen resolution. People have gone on to make reproduction cartridges, boxes and manuals based on this hack with text and art taken from the Game Gear version of the game. Being able to see more of the area around you makes this version easier to play.

The Genesis version of Double Dragon is decent, but I would still say the Sega Master System version has better play control. The enemies in the Genesis version are also a bit more aggressive than usual.

The Genesis version of The Great Waldo Search is pretty close to the SNES version, but I believe it comes short in terms of sound and graphics. It is still as easy as ever.

I just now beat Golden Eye 007 for Nintendo 64 on Agent, what an awesome game!

Time to step it up a notch and beat again on Secret Agent. ;-)

About to beat Zelda Ocarina of Time on N64 as well, ganon whooped my ass last time and I still have 1 heart piece to find. Also need ice arrows but can't get the last key at the training ground. Lol its been years since I played that file. Those items aren't needed but maybe I should just beat him and then start fresh with the master Quest.

post-37932-0-15902000-1393850479_thumb.jpg

7. Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dream - Playstation

Cleared Arcade mode with Guy & Sodom.. Both character were results of my indecision, allowing the timer to expire.. I probably wouldn't have chose either of them, but was pleasantly surprised with both. Arcade mode was short, and I had it on relatively low difficulty. Looking forward to trying SF Alpha 2 & 3 on the ps2 anthology.

Not a huge fighting game fan, but am finding more love for the genre as of late..

• Like 1

18. Phantasy Star - SMS

At last I have completed the most popular Sega Master System RPG. It was definitely good enough to make me interested in playing the rest of the series. I used to be bothered with the first person mazes but they aren't as confusing as I made them out to be after having completed the King's Field games before.

10. Bubble Bobble (NES)

Beaten in 2P mode with my fiancée, playing through twice and taking the Level 99 portal both times to reach the best ending. What can I say about this game that hasn't been said before? Whatever minor flaws it might have, this is a true classic for the system. A.

11. Wacky Races (Dreamcast)

There's very little substantial info about this game online, and it doesn't appear to have an ending (maybe the expanded PS2 version has one). But getting all 40 stars, 15 spanners, and 3 unlockable vehicles seems like the win condition.

I played as the Creepy Coupe/Gruesome Twosome throughout, using the distant camera view to minimize the visibility issues caused by their too-tall vehicle. There's also a cheat code for a secret Hard mode, but you don't appear to get that in-game -- and after winning one race that way it just seems like an extra, not something you're supposed to do to "really" beat the game.

It's got some framerate issues -- it's mostly 30fps, sometimes 60fps, and occasionally 20fps or lower. And the fact that I set this game aside for months at a time says something: I first started working on it in 2011 (!). But overall this is a fun kart racing game that captures the Hanna-Barbera spirit pretty well. Early on it's a bit of a slog, but once I earned the turbo boost power, things really livened up. B+.

ESPN Baseball Tonight (Genesis)

Entirely mediocre, with one exception: the batter-pitcher confrontation is the best I've encountered in 16-bit baseball.

Cal Ripken Jr. Baseball (Genesis)

Doesn't have all the bells-and-whistles that its fully-licensed contemporaries possess, but the core gameplay here is rock-solid.

Batman Begins (XBOX)

Ultra-linear. In fact, it's probably the most linear game I've ever played. There's only one path through the game, and there's no getting off script. I don't even think there are any secrets to be found. However, the game doesn't attempt to disguise these facts. On the contrary, it embraces them. The graphics are impressive, the voice acting is good, the pacing is brisk, and there's just enough variety, stage-to-stage, to keep you invested. That single path is smoothly paved, and the game just kind of pulls you along with minimal resistance. Before I knew it (~6 hrs), it was over, and I had been, more or less... entertained.

• Like 1

8. Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers - SNES

Finally beat this one!! Borrowed it from a friend.. One of my all time favorite fighting games! Cleared Super Battle, with Balrog.

9. Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - Playstation 3

We'll call it beaten. Cleared Arcade mode with Akuma, Oni & Evil Ryu. Such an awesome game! Got a great classic feel to it, but is so beautiful to look at, and so much fun. Played about 9 Hours so far, and not going to stop any time soon.. Playing online, and training up with some other characters.

• Like 1

I'm still waiting for the final version of SFIV to be released. While it seems they're quite close now on the PS360 machines, they didn't even start releasing it for the PS4/1 :lol:

Haha, yea I will most likely upgrade to Ultra when it comes out later this year. But will probably just settle for the DLC as opposed to buying a new disc.

I Have the Vanilla version for the 360, and I hate it (360 controller + fighter + me = No good).. This one is SOOO much better..

20. Mr. Nutz - Mega Drive (Europe)

I finally completed the game without using any codes. It took practice to get the mechanics and enemy patterns down, but I had a great time playing a platformer I wasn't 100% an expert at yet. I would rank this game a 4 out of 5 when it comes to how good a platformer could be. It's above mediocre or boring, but not flawless like Sonic the Hedgehog or Super Mario World. It doesn't have any bad play control to lose points on and if you're careful, cheap deaths are minimal to totally avoidable. Decent 2D graphics for 1994 and catchy music.

I finally beat my first game of the year tonight: The Cat Lady.

There were a lot of things to like about this game—the dark atmosphere, unconventional presentation, solid story, sympathetic characters, and a female protagonist who was actually dressed appropriately.

I'm really interested in R. Michalski's work now. I downloaded Downfall last night and may play through it next.

• Like 1

21. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - Genesis

This was the first one on one fighting game I ever played, when my old neighbor rented it. I have just beaten every enemy on every difficulty setting (there are 8 ) with every character (there are 6 plus 2 Zords for fighting the large enemies). You could say I've become a master of this game with that much put into it! And you would have thought it was a shallow fighting game with only two attack buttons. Nope, the speed at which you need to mash buttons and the angles you need to move the d-pad while performing moves makes it much deeper than expected. The rangers look similar but have very different special moves which can even get in the way of regular moves, causing you the need to fight differently with certain ones.

Edited by TheGameCollector
  • Like 1

Hi guys,

The Flintstones - Sorpresa al Picco del Dinosauro (NES)

This is the Italian version of The Flintstones - The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak. I had this game for the NES for over 8 years now at its pretty fun. Its like the Dino & Hoppy gameplay version and Barney is a changeable character to help Fred! Cute game.

Anthony...